Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NBD ( New Bike Day )

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by w3stie, Sep 22, 2017.

1. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    Got myself a fixie! Well, not a true fixie, those guys are nuts, but it's only got three gears and I picked it up real cheap. My plan is to replace the gear hub with a coaster brake, so it will be closer to a proper fixie, with no levers or gears or cables etc. - just like the first bike I had when I was ten years old :)

[​IMG]

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

3. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 12, 2008
    Houston
    I have coworker who hurt himself really bad after wrecking his fixie. After an 8 month layoff he was back on it.

That's a cool a$$ cruiser you got there. Enjoy it

w3stie likes this.

4. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Love bikes including single speed, but I do not get fixies at all. Enjoy!

william tele, tintag27 and w3stie like this.

5. w3stie

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane

6. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    I used to ride the 15 miles each way to and from work on a fixed wheeled bike in the winter. Not only did it keep you warm and supple, the control it gave on snow and ice was so much better than with a freewheel and brakes.

7. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Nice!

I'm hoping to sell two at a swap event this weekend and get something similar. We sold our commuters and others getting nice his and hers fat bikes and REALLY nice trail/AM bikes. Now I'm looking at something for winter street use to keep my fitness kick going.

My dirt jumper is single speed, and I still have my 1960s Schwinn Typhoon but keep it 200 mi away at our cabin.

My 2017 purchase posed here earlier is about the absolute opposite - composite, state of the art suspension, hydraulic brakes etc...

As the only single speed lover sharing bikes with my wife and teens I'm thinking they might not like something like that as much as I would.

Tele D.I.Y. people here should relate. I have a nice single speed crank and some old ti straight bars, polished Campy seat post. My inner nerd says do a project bike but I know those always suck way more money and time than you think. A build project would also cut into my fitness time and I'm so busy I'm already not touching a guitar enough right now.

Enjoy that in good health!

w3stie likes this.

8. w3stie

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    ^^ I'm already getting upgradeitis :D

9. w3stie

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    I don't like driving on icy roads let alone cycling. You must be pretty keen.

10. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    Though you would not think it to look at me now, I used to ride 10-12 thousand miles a year. I didn't bother learning to drive until I was almost 30. The early morning ride in to work felt like being out for a Sunday morning ride, and the ride home allowed me to get the stresses and frustrations of the working day out of my system before getting home to the family, whilst only taking maybe five minutes more than had I driven. It's good to have the roads to yourself when they are covered in snow. One morning I found that the only person who had ridden my route was riding a trike, that would really have been fun, never found out who it was.

tintag27 likes this.

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I too spent many a mile on a fixed gear during my competitive cycling years. It is dangerous and I'm very surprised how many people ride them today. Of course they are not going 45 mph like we were back then during training with a coach on a motorcycle pushing us ever faster, but even at 25 mph cruising to work, they are dangerous.

12. tery

tery Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    That looks fun :)

13. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

So you understand that rabbit hole I'll be in if I think I'll build something myself.

We had a purpose-built or specialized for commuting bike with internal gears, belt drive, fenders, rack at the start. It worked but had no soul the way my favorite steel bikes have had or my wife's plastic fattie. Thus, a modestly priced street bike with some parts I have as a maybe solution.

I've been cruising craigslist and have yet to go to a huge used bike shop in the metro area. Looking up component prices for good candidates on craigslist keeps doubling or tripling those prices. If honest the labor makes it worse.

Last winter with the last commuter gone I would ride a fattie at about 5-6 psi of air pressure. With ice it would still fly out from under you and too much self-steer on pavement with those low pressures. I'd like studded fattie tires but they're VERY expensive. I perceive they'd be slow and wear too fast on pavement but super fun on frozen lakes and rivers or when trails are ice and snow mixed.

My hard core commuter friends get studded tires in conventional sizes and frames that take generic fenders.

My selfish reasoning for the project is my bike mileage is up 50% each of the past two years. My age rounds up to 60 but my fitness kick has my waist rounding down to same size pants I wore in high school or smaller. The right commuter bike will keep me at the daily exercise levels that have done it.

:)

14. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Holic

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    Nice ride!
    Can you coaster brake a 3-speed?

Bill Hubbard likes this.

15. BrandonIke

BrandonIke TDPRI Member

Sep 29, 2016
    Philadelphia, PA
    Nice ride there! Here is my fixie I've been riding for the past 7ish years. Bought a nice old Cannondale from the 80's off craigslist for like $70, stripped it and threw my wheelset on there.
    Thanks to that frame this is the lightest bike I have ever owned, it flies through the city.

I do have a flip-flop hub, should I ever feel the need to switch to SS. So far I haven't..

And I am due for an updated pic, I got a new wheelset about 3 months ago

20160315_192708.jpg

ukepicker and Obsessed like this.

16. w3stie

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    I don't think so. The closest I can find is the 2 speed Sturmey Archer replacement hub mentioned above.

17. w3stie

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    Neat! What does it weigh?

18. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Holic

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    I like that bike just the way it is.

Clean, white, simple, and with the current depicted brakes.

It's very sleek.

:)

19. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I can only shake my head. Don't get it, don't want it and wouldn't ride it if you gave it to me...:D

Man, Dejavu...I think I replied about the same way to a guy who just bought a Flying V...:lol:

Obsessed likes this.

20. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I used to be a hard core rider too, although about 5-6,000 mikes a year, not 10-12! And I used to build bikes from parts the way a lot of folks here do with guitars. Riding a fixed gear bike in traffic is one of the great Zen experiences of my life - I used to love riding a fixie. Has three different frames set up for fixed riding over the years. Always had a front brake but never a rear. Riding a fixie in the steeper hills around where I live in SE Pennsylvania is something other than a Zen experience - it ranged from overwhelmingly hard to flat out terrifying. I think the highest I ever got my cadence was somewhere around 170 rpm and that definitely made me a better cyclist. I still have an ENO hub for running a frame with vertical dropouts as a fixie, but I seriously doubt I'll ever use it again. Those were great times - best shape I've ever been in, but I lost the passion a few years ago after some health issues made it too much work and not enough fun.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.