Nashville Teles (and an aesthetic question)

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Ecadad, May 23, 2019.

1. Ecadad

Ecadad Tele-Holic

Does anyone else on here love Nashville Teles?

This is my 1998 American Deluxe, it’s different than most other Nashville styles that I’ve seen. It has the 5 way fender switch, but it has an extra toggle between the volume and tone knobs that lets you have the tele middle position (neck and bridge), or all 3 pickups at once. The neck is the best neck I’ve felt on any guitar ever.

Aesthetic question- right now she’s all stock, but what do you think of the pickguard? I’ve always thought about swapping for tort but I don’t know. What do you think? (And what’s a good place to get a Nashville style pickguard, if I do it?). I love tort and this pickguard is a little odd IMO, but I kind of like keeping her stock, especially since I’ve had it this way for over a decade now. Struggles.

[​IMG]

Also, 2 amps at once = sounding 2x as good IMO.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  2. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I don't understand. Is that a mockup of your Tele with a faux tort guard, or is that the actual pickguard on the guitar? I think it looks great.

I have two partcaster Nashvilles. It's all I play anymore. I like the sound and body shape of a Tele more than a Strat, but I gotta have that middle pickup for the combo tones. The Nashville solves that problem. I reverse my control plates, and added a minitoggle switch for extra pickup combinations, too.

Ecadad and nojazzhere like this.
  3. Ecadad

Ecadad Tele-Holic

Sorry for the confusion, that's the stock pickguard on it right now. Glad someone likes it! I think it's technically called "Orange Pearl" or something like that, not true tort.

The extra switch and pickup makes them so versatile! Studio and gig, she's all I need. Why did you reverb the control plate?

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I have added a middle pickup to my 1993 Korean Fender Squier.....but I KEPT the stock three-way switch for neck and bridge pickups, and added a mini-toggle to turn off and on the middle. This way, I can combine the middle with the neck OR bridge, or engage all three.....just can't use middle by itself. The middle is for the infrequent needs for that Mark Knopfler/Richard Thompson sound. sunday 105.JPG

5. Ecadad

Ecadad Tele-Holic

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I reversed the control plate because I like to do pinky wahs and swells, and it's much easier with the reversed plate. But you have be careful because it's easy to knock the volume control down while you're playing. That's why you always see guitarists checking their volume control to make sure it's wide open.

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks. It also has a Warmoth "Fatback" conversion neck, so a 24 3/4" scale. I also love the Bootstrap Pickups Palo Duro pickup set. Also note the forearm bevel for comfort.

8. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Your pickguard is already tortoise shell.
    It looks fine.

Geo and boris bubbanov like this.
  9. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

Although I'm usually not a big fan of tortoise shell guards, your Tele looks really, really nice as is.

Geo and Ecadad like this.
  10. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Holic

I don't like tortoise shell, but the black and white pick up covers bother me way more, aesthetically. I would change the white one.

11. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Meister

Are your guitars humbucking in neck and bridge or do you prefer to do it with the middle? I’ve always wondered about that.

12. Johnny_B

Johnny_B TDPRI Member

I built a "Nashville" model out of this squire tele body, and added an older fender Stratocaster neck. I added a fender Tex Mex middle pickup and my brother-in-law did a fantastic job with the wiring. It's a 5 way switch set up like a standard Stratocaster, but when you put the toggle into the bridge pickup position you get the bridge pickup by itself, and when you pop the tone knob up you get the classic tele bridge and neck position together. I added the tortoise pick guard as well...

Attached Files:

4pickupguy, teletimetx and Ecadad like this.
  13. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Esthetically what always bugs me is having a white cover on the middle pup (unless the pickguard is white as well)

Other than that what ever .. Tort is always a fine looking option with olympic white, tho here I'd go with black to match the bindings

boris bubbanov and Ricky D. like this.
  14. Ecadad

Ecadad Tele-Holic

That is a gorgeous instrument!

15. Ecadad

Ecadad Tele-Holic

It might be a bit difficult to see, but the binding is actually tort, not black. I don't know if I've seen any other Fender guitars with tort binding, but it's pretty cool IMO.

It's easier to see in this photo:

[​IMG]

memorex, ejphotos, asnarski and 3 others like this.
  16. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

In the photos, the current pickguard looks pretty tort-like. From a standard, person in the crowd point of view, not sure anyone would be able to discern the difference if you switched to a "real" tort. But it's your guitar.

I do like the tort binding, very understated. I'd leave it be. Looks fine the way it is.

almost 9 years ago, I tried a nashville/deluxe tele, in the mood of sampling other tele flavors. Didn't work for me, but I get the sense of wider variety. For me, if I really want a strat-like sound, I have a strat for that. that being said, I've heard some wonderful stuff from 3-pickup and 4-pickup teles.

17. Ecadad

Ecadad Tele-Holic

I totally get that. I can't really use this tele for Strat tone, when you do a tone comparison with my strat side by side, it's super obvious which is the tele and which is the strat. The Nashville tele isn't a strat replacement, it's like it's own unique thing. It works in a pinch for a quack though, especially live.

The main difference I can hear is that the Tele has way more bite and sounds a lot more crisp than a start does, regardless of the position of the switch. I still use a Strat a lot for strat stuff!

Nashville tele is just another cool tone to have! But it's not a strat and it's not a totally a tele... that's why I've gotta have a tele, a strat, and a nashville tele!

asnarski and teletimetx like this.
  18. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

...and same type of logic I use for having a standard tele with texas specials and a 3-way switch, Logan tele with a 5-way switch, seymour duncans, and Squier CVC, sort of blackguardish, alnico pickups, an old Peavy Reactor tele-shape, strung Nashville (high side of a 12-string set)...and a strat! S'all good.

19. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

I love my Nashville Tele. I put a Wilkinson tempered bridge on it and had it re wired so I have a push pull switch that turns on the bridge pickup so I can get the Tele all on sound, plus all three on.

All of Leo’s best ideas in one guitar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nojazzhere likes this.
  20. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It looks great to me!
    It might look a little greater with a tort guard, though.

nojazzhere likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.