Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Nashville Tele Wiring Help

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by IMadeYouReadThis, Jul 30, 2018.

1. IMadeYouReadThis

IMadeYouReadThis TDPRI Member

Jul 4, 2018
    Parker, CO, United States
    I'm making a tele partscaster (nashville configuration) with a Tonerider Vintage Plus bridge pickup, Tonerider City Limits strat middle, and SD lipstick pickup (Dano-style, not tele "lipstick"). The wiring's kinda intimidating. It is meant to be my strat/tele hybrid, so here it goes.

• 5-way switch
    • Neck/Middle tone
    • Bridge tone
    • Master volume
    • 2 DPDT switches to switch middle and neck phases (in or out of phase)
    • 1 SPDT switch to do 7-way switching
    • 1 DPDT or 4PDT master parallel/series switch
    I already have a custom plate cut for 3 pots and a 5-way switch in a tele body. I know how to do the 7-way and phase switches, but I have no clue how to do a master series/parallel switch with 3 SC pickups. Could someone explain to me how to do this or create a schematic? You're help is much appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018

2. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

You might try Deaf Eddie's site or PM him. He's a member here.

3. Solaris moon

Solaris moon Tele-Meister

Nov 12, 2017
    Fort Wayne
    Are you using a straight Strat style switch wiring with a DPDT switch? I can help you with that - it's simple enough. Just give me a little bit of time to find the right one.

4. IMadeYouReadThis

Jul 4, 2018
    I'm using pretty much straight strat-ish wiring, but with some switches for 7-way, reverse phase, and parallel/series. The issue I have is the parallel/series switch. Not sure how to do that. I can't even find a series wired strat schematic, or else I'd figure it out comparing that and a standard strat schematic.

5. Solaris moon

Nov 12, 2017
    Fort Wayne
    OK I found a series wiring diagram, but you'll need THREE switches - one for each of the three pickups. There's no way to wire one switch! The idea is that you're trying to reverse the polarity or rather the direction of the current flow. Unfortunately there's no way to do that without a separate switch for each pickup as the current will need to be sent backwards through the one side of the switch itself. It CAN be done, but it's going to be more work than you realize. I'll have to work it out in my head to ensure that this will indeed work once done if this is truly the way that you want to go. You'll have to drill, or route extra holes for each switch. The Andy Summers wiring had a phase switch, but it was for ONE pickup. There's a phase switch wiring on www.dimarzio.com that shows the same type of switch, but it too is for a humbucker with four wires. This can be adapted for single coils, but it'll take a little tweaking to get it right!

coolbreeze475 likes this.

6. IMadeYouReadThis

Jul 4, 2018
    [​IMG]

I just found this. It's complicated, but couldn't I do the same thing but with a 5-way switch and 2 phase switches, instead of the 6 DPDT's?

EDIT: I can't get the image to work, so it's the schematic on this article.
    https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/21307-mod-garage-inside-brian-mays-red-special?page=2

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018

7. Solaris moon

Nov 12, 2017
    Fort Wayne
    I mean that it would take three switches - not six! One on/on switch for each pickup.

Let me look at this again tomorrow. I'll be of more help then. Also it'll give me time to work out the logistics of what you need to do to wire this to a regular CRL 5 way switch.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018

8. screefer

screefer Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Feb 28, 2016
    kildonan

9. IMadeYouReadThis

Jul 4, 2018
    That sounds pretty good, actually. I remember looking at Deaf Eddie strat kits for another build and I wasn't impressed. Way too confusing and filled with only a few usable sounds. This sounds doable and far less confusing. Is there a way to do this with the middle wired in series? Or better yet, a series parallel switch?

10. screefer

screefer Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Feb 28, 2016
    kildonan
    That I don't know. I'm not a wiring guy but Deaf Eddie will know for sure and he is quite generous. My fave tone is N+B in series out-of-phase...a real stinger!

11. IMadeYouReadThis

Jul 4, 2018
    I'll shoot him an email. Right now I'm thinking a 3-way switch, on-off-on mid, neck phase switch, and parallel/series switch, but the complicated part is the parallel/series switch. We'll see.

12. IMadeYouReadThis

Jul 4, 2018
    So after a long chain of about 14 emails, I've got a solution. So, we have a 5-way super switch, a push-pull to activate it for series wiring in positions 2 & 4, a DPDT for out-of phase in positions 2 & 4, and a switch to add the neck pickup in positions 4 & 5. So here are the final combinations:
    • Standard Strat (parallel)
    • NM series
    • MB series
    • NM out-of-phase
    • MB out-of-phase
    • NM series out-of-phase
    • MB series out-of-phase
    • NB parallel (tele)
    • N parallel with MB series
    The only settings I don't have that I would have liked were NB series and/or out-of-phase. I don't see myself ever using the last setting (all 3 pickups), but it's there if I do.

Another side effect of this wiring is I have to have tone controls on neck and bridge, with middle wide open. I prefer to have a control on neck and middle and another one for bridge. I works fine (at least I have one on bridge), but it's not my favorite. Overall though, I love this wiring. Many great, usable tones out of it without too many switches or random quirky things with switch positions.

13. Solaris moon

Nov 12, 2017
    Fort Wayne
    OK. This is a wiring diagram that I altered to match one the I was given by my @sshole brother who thinks that he walks on water. I don't know why but when I wired this to his guitar it didn't work - I think that something was either broken (internally), or he got the wrong one. I don't know where he got it from, but in theory this SHOULD work. As long as all your pickups work this current should go from one switch to the other. I've seen this in other guitars such as Kramer, and Jackson. They WORKED! I don't know why his didn't. All I can say is best of luck. Now I need to go so that I can get ready for work tomorrow.

Attached Files:

14. IMadeYouReadThis

Jul 4, 2018
    In that diagram, you're taking the bridge pickup's hot to the middle pickup's ground. I believe you're supposed to take the bridge pickup's ground to the middle pickup's hot. Not sure though. I'm not a huge wiring buff (hence this thread).

Actually, that entire diagram is a wreck. The pickups are wired to the wrong side of the switch. There's also a random jumper on the switch that activates the other side, which isn't connected to anything else. If it's basic strat wiring (in terms of pickup combinations), you only need a phase switch on the middle pickup.

15. Solaris moon

Nov 12, 2017
    Fort Wayne
    Sorry - I don't use this diagram for my own guitars - all my Strats are wired in the vintage wiring vein. I've used this type of wiring before, but only a long time ago. I don't remember much of it, but the pickups should be wired directly to the switches for phasing. Um, when I drew that switch I wasn't thinking in terms of orientation repsective to the pickups. It IS indeed upside down! Sorry about that. I got this from the Les Schatten wiring book - the original one with the plastic binder that looks totally handmade.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.