Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Nashville quacker question!

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Tollehouse Twang, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Tollehouse Twang

Tollehouse Twang TDPRI Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Vista, ca
    Ok guys, I just finished my first build!!! Totally in love with the outcome. Fit and finish, playability and sound just feels surprising high quality.

I'm trying to get some quack.... I've read some forums on Nashville's and have heard repeatedly that the neck pup overpowers the middle pup when both selected.

QUESTION: Would putting the middle pup a little closer to the bridge pup help in evening out the sound when neck and middle pup are selected? Thus more quack??

I think I've seen this done. But, was it for quack reasons?

Attached Files:

SecretSquirrel likes this.

2. sjtalon

sjtalon Poster Extraordinaire

What are your pups ??

You'll get better results with playing with pickup height. They are spaced O.K. as they are.

Start with the pups ballpark height ('Ol Bill L). String fretted at the last, then strings to pup clearance:

Low E 5/32"
    high e 5/34"

Try to play the middle pickup by itself with a strum, then play the bridge and adjust it so it's volume is about the same, switching back and forth, one pup at a time. Then do that with the neck.
    It's a balance deal to start with.

Now you can raise or lower the middle and see what gives you the best Strat tone with the other you would want the best to play with, id est, pos. 2 or 4.

SPUDCASTER likes this.

3. Tollehouse Twang

Jul 24, 2017
    Vista, ca
    That makes sense! In the neck I put an old Korean fender pup and the bridge is an Artec HumBucker.

Also, I haven't put in the middle pup yet. I have extra strat pups laying around as well as 5 way selectors so I'm weighing out the idea.

What you are saying makes sense though. You can easily balance out pup output by adjusting the height.

4. tessting1two

tessting1two Tele-Meister

Apr 13, 2014
    Southern California
    Remove the tone control from the middle pickup. This gives the middle pickup added brightness and output. How you go about doing this depends on how you have it wired.

5. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2016
    Newport News, VA
    I've heard this exact same thing but I wasn't aware of why but it totally makes sense.

6. Tollehouse Twang

Jul 24, 2017
    Vista, ca
    I haven't added the middle pup yet. How would you go about wiring it?

7. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2016
    Newport News, VA
    Wait a second. I'm not sure that it really matters on a tele because there's only one tone. Your quack is in 2 & 4. The guy who did it, I bought a loaded pickguard from him off craigslist, he told me he moved the tone to the bridge because two tones negatively affected his quack-ability in position 4.

I'd say you can wire it up like a normal strat for your pickups and just throw your tone pot somewhere in the circuit there between the switch and the volume, right? You'll only need one side of the switch for this application.

I very well could be wrong in this so someone else please confirm or deny.

8. tessting1two

tessting1two Tele-Meister

Apr 13, 2014
    Southern California
    There are two things to consider here:
    First, when you remove the middle pickup from any/all tone controls, it gets louder and brighter because there's no resistance from the pot loading the pickup. This will be true in a Strat with 2 tone controls or a Nashville Tele with 1.

Second, on a Strat with 2 tone controls there are different approaches to what pickup(s) the tone controls should be assigned to. Stock Strat wiring means the tone control does not affect the bridge pickup which helps with quack in the bridge-middle position, but does create additional loading on the neck-middle position because 2 tone pots are in the circuit.

Some folks move the second tone control to the bridge and the first tone control goes to both the middle and neck pickups; others assign one tone pot to bridge/middle and the other to neck. Both of these configurations results in one of the quack combinations having two tone pots in the circuit. So on Strats with 2 tone controls the only way to have the same load on both quack positions is to remove the middle pickup from the tone pots entirely.

Huddy likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.