Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Nashville B Bender pickup change

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by T Prior, Feb 11, 2019.

1. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlotte NC
    I really like the 2013 USA Nashville Bender, I have made several modifications for the "BEND" which suit me just fine.

I never actually liked the bridge pup tone, very shrill, way too much hi end bite for me. I initially put some 50's original PUPS in it, it was better but still not to my liking. Still too much bite. After reading many threads here I decided to grab a Seymour Duncan Jerry Donahue , APTL-3JD , stuck it in the other day and whatever magic they put inside that PUP works ! The hi end shrill is gone but the overall tones are still intact. Very balanced.

One thing to be aware of with these Nashville guitars, the stock pup polarity's are odd. You may have to reverse the polarity of the MID PUP to have it function with a PUP swap for the neck or bridge. This is the case with the JD PUP and was the case with the original 50's. ( neck and bridge)

Currently the JD pup and the MID pup are fine together with the mid pup polarity reversed, but the stock neck pup and the MID pup are literally not in sync. I can live with this for now but I see another neck pup in the future.

Just a heads-up.

2. telequacktastic

telequacktastic Tele-Afflicted

Mar 20, 2011
    Fort Worth
    That is a great pickup! I’ve used it in the past on my 2010 Nashville B Bender and i feel the same way, it just sounds right. Right now it’s in an Esquire build I have

3. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    My tele has a JD in the bridge, and I recently installed a Hipshot bender, and I like the tone a lot - unfortunately I am having tuning issues now and it's going to take a full teardown of the guitar to fix them, I'm afraid. Not the JD pickup's fault.

Interesting to me however is that the OTHER guitar on which I have a bender has a Duncan antiquity P90 in the bridge. I think that is the ideal bender tone - very easy to get that rounded, sweet lap steel sound from a vintage wind P90.

Mincer likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.