Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Name Something That Made You Want to Quit Music

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BigMoney, Jul 16, 2017.

1. wayloncash

wayloncash Tele-Afflicted

Apr 7, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Time there ain't enough of it.

2. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    (Lack of) playing ability has made me quit before. I'm not naturally gifted at playing guitar, and seeing those who are, at times was really frustrating for me. I've kind of gotten over it, but I do wish I had more natural ability (mostly because I don't like working at it ha ha)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017

3. GreatGaudy

GreatGaudy TDPRI Member

Jul 13, 2016
    noVa
    I was watching Tom Principato and Danny Gatton goin at it one night, then gave it all up.
    ...but that was 25 years ago, so I came back (2 years ago)

GuitarsFromMars, J Hog and tintag27 like this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. suthol

suthol Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2010
    Sydney - Australia
    Hearing King Crimson's debut album and then sharing the bill with Kavas Jute the following week

A major case of WTF did I just hear on both occasions

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Watching the Jimi Hendrix Experience, live.

Riding home later, I had to ask myself, who is gonna want to see me when there's performances like this? Very close to packing it in, right there.

But songs kept appearing in my head, asking to be fleshed out and I'd hear a new release and I just had to figure it out.

tintag27 likes this.

7. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    A lack of ability to play what I want. But more practice (or practice in general) would cure that.

A vicious circle it is.

8. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Friend of Leo's

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Never happened. For me playing music is a personal, lifelong quest. It's always continued regardless of whether I'm playing with other people or not. I'll keep going until my body doesn't let me anymore.

gee. likes this.

9. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

Apr 26, 2011
    Nederland, CO
    Yea, a guy who gigged (I went to one of his band's shows), played with others (I went to an acoustic guitar group jam session that he recommended), and I invited over to my house when I was asked to play, pretty much killed my desire to try and play with others. While I didn't stop bedroom playing, I stopped trying to find a group I could play and learn with in order to improve and maybe play for money at least once.

On the plus side, a drummer fell into my clutches last week and a friend plays bass and both want to get with me to play music together and maybe, _may_be_ play at a local festival next year (and even gig a little).

I guess it is "pry from my cold dead fingers". :)

Carl

ukepicker likes this.

10. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2017
    USA
    I know. The instrument is just so damn hard to play. Some people reading this will say no it's not. Exactly.

Colo Springs E likes this.

11. I came close when I lost both my hands in a horrible 100-ton body-panel stamping press accident at the auto parts plant. But I soldiered on. People tell me my guitar hooks are pretty good! :D

daddyplaysbass likes this.

12. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW
    If drastically reducing your amount of playing counts here, then yes.

I developed some sort of tendonitis or carpal tunnel issues, which I attribute to using my PC keyboard and mouse. I associated guitar playing with pain. Needless to say, it is very disconcerting.

Anyway, I came across the video. The weight training section didn't seem to help much but, the stretching section does. I try to do it at least twice a day, preferably three times, every day.

13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Are you sure you didn't read the question as "name something that made you want to quit living"?

Kingpin and Johnson johnson like this.

14. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 18, 2013
    West O' Philly, PA
    This^^^! I'm a lifer, and unless Uncle Arthur Itis kicks in, I'll be kicking out the jams.

15. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    I would have agreed with this ^^^ until around 7 years ago. Since then I've been playing with a drummer (of the female persuasion) who is really exceptional. Solid, great meter, doesn't overplay, no drama, she's been playing the drums all her life and sounds like it. She can sing too. Bass players love playing with her. I never even think about her gender when we're doing a gig... But I have to admit that sometimes off the stage she's just such a girl! Jeez Joanne, can't you do something about that?

16. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    The exact same thing happened to me. My band had a LONG run (four years) as a house band where we played at the same place every week, three and four nights a week, and it just turned into a job. When the band split up (health problems with the other guitar player, who later died of heart failure at the age of 42), I packed everything up and took a long break from playing, almost two years. Almost twenty years later, I still don't really have any huge urges to do the bar scene again.

17. brenn

brenn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    Mostly tore off the tip of my ring finger on my fretting hand shooting a crossbow, a couple of years ago (string hit it). But it mostly got better - still hurts some and has some numbness.

I once met a girl who sold all of her stuff in preparation for moving to America to be a professional guitarist, then she had an accident and lost all 4 fingers of her fretting hand, right before leaving. She came on to America and learned to play left handed. Probably my one fingerrtip is nothing to cry about.

18. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    Based on what happened today, i need to stop posting challenges like this :confused:

Gdolly and Nickadermis like this.

19. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Hey, I thought of something to crab about!
    Band leaders that can't play.
    There, I said it.
    It applies to about 25% of the people that hire me.
    I won't hint at the guilty, and to be fair, it's not a deal breaker.
    It just bugs me.
    Wrong chords, bad timing, tuning issues, you know, that kind of stuff.
    It makes me want to exclaim "Can't you hear that?"
    There, I feel better.
    Thanks!

20. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Holic

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    Utter frustration at times trying to learn a new song. Then I realize no talent hacks like Brooks and Dunn are still making money so there is hope.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.