Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Name a band you don't like but are really popular.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Strato50, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Regarding Rush, I don't get past vocals. Vocals are a very important part of a song to me.

I like the Beatles and respect them for their prolific catalog... but I don't have a single Beatles song on my playlist. So I guess I don't really "like" them that much.

2. jman72

jman72 Tele-Holic

Aug 31, 2013
    Central Florida
    Oh, I don't mean that I got past the vocals in the sense of ignoring them. I think the vocals are an equal part of the "package" for Rush and I love them. I just mean that I couldn't handle the "timbre" of Geddy's voice for more than 20 years so that I was never able to really listen to the instruments or the lyrics- as soon as they came on the radio, I turned it. Listening to the instrumentals let me see what amazing musicians they are (and gain an appreciation for them), which brought me back to the band.

Later in life, I started listening to and loving old bluegrass and traditional music, and the vocals in much of those songs are also very grating and not what anyone would consider pleasant. It is definitely an acquired taste that took me a while to like (again, I was listening to Bill Monroe's amazing mandolin, so I had to tolerate his voice before it grew on me as part of the package. For me, Rush was also an acquired taste.

Anyhow, enjoy whatever music you like and avoid what you don't.:)

3. Blue

Blue Tele-Holic

Jun 15, 2008
    England
    It seems it's cool to not like the Beatles. :rolleyes:

4. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta

5. murdude

murdude TDPRI Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Brantford, Ontario
    Anybody notice that many of the bands that are disliked here by many, such as the Beatles and Eagles, have something common in their music. I think it's called melody and harmony.:rolleyes:

Arafel, chiefline and brookdalebill like this.

6. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Meister

Oct 2, 2017
    Luton UK
    You know there could be a saying that Love/Hate are very close encounters.

7. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I don't know, @Wrong-Note Rod - I'm an unabashed Wilco fan. And I'll grant their shows tend to sell out (theaters, not stadiums) around here. And they've of course carved out a wonderful career that most musicians would dream of. But I think they've sold about 2 million albums across something like 18 albums. Do they qualify as "wildly" popular? They are with their devoted fan base I suppose. Food for thought.

btheblue likes this.

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

This is perfect. Brilliant. O. Fender has found the bull's eye, and hit it.

picknfool and brookdalebill like this.

9. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2017
    Clarksville, TN
    Volbeat, their singer sounds muffled and fake to me.

10. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 22, 2003
    Georgia/Minnesota
    Thankfully I don't come here for the music reviews.

chiefline, drf64 and Blue Bill like this.

11. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Someone has to say it: Any and all rap, hip-hop, gangsta rubbish.

chiefline likes this.

12. boris bubbanov

No, Genesis really was that good, pretty much up until Steve left.

I don't suspect, I know that many people's recollections of what the band was like before it became schlocky, have been erased because the later Genesis really was that bad.

Some artists really are that good, and then they go very wrong. I submit Neil Diamond. Even the Monkees "Last Train to Clarksville" is a masterpiece even if everything they did afterward was a massive bring down.

I went to those early Genesis shows, and they were a match for ABB and a lot of other great bands. I was there, and I kept away from those funny cigarettes I promise you. The best way to retain memories of bands/artists in their early prime, is to isolate yourself from the later, disappointing submissions.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Generic Schmoe and Sounds Good like this.

13. audiopablo

audiopablo Tele-Meister

Jan 11, 2015
    SoCal, CA
    I had that happen with Soundgarden. I had a coworker who would get me tickets to all these shows his girlfriend didn't want to go to. One was Soundgarden (I really don't like their radio songs), and they were incredible. I now think that what I didn't like about them was the production of the songs because live, they were awesome.

One show I went to with my friend that did not change my opinion: Buckethead. He is obviously talented. He did weird stuff (I like weird) like do nunchux and pass out presents. But the music is for a specific fanbase. Judging by the House of Blues that night, that audience is 97% male and probably 100% guitar shredders themselves.

Sounds Good likes this.

14. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode TDPRI Member

May 26, 2017
    Philadelphia
    A few years ago CBS Sunday Morning did a segment about Jeff and Wilco. The journalist said to Jeff that when she told her friends she was doing a story on Wilco "half of them said 'Cool!' and the other half said 'What's a Wilco?". I think that really sums up the success of this band. Real music lovers and concert-goers at least know who they are, but the vast majority of the world hasn't a clue.

btheblue and boris bubbanov like this.

15. boris bubbanov

"Birthday" is what I've played most. But whether you like someone is not the same as having them on a playlist. I might enjoy most, those compositions and recordings one could never pull off in a typical live band setting.

16. beninma

beninma Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Too many to even name when you think about it, there are entire Genre's like Hip Hop and Rap where I dislike the majority of the music.

I do have a pile of bands that I listened to a lot in the 90s where some of them I think aged really poorly and others I've come back too.

E.x. I am insanely fatigued of hearing RHCP and Soundgarden. Both of them have been continuously played > 1 time per hour for 20+ years now by some of the Boston area rock stations. (Of which there is only really one good one left, and they went and made the whole morning conservative radio disguised as a shock jock show.. it's not good at being either.)

But I've recently gotten way into Smashing Pumpkins again.. that stuff aged really well for me, although I also didn't continually hear it like I did with RHCP and Soundgarden. Another two that still sound really good when I hear them are Alice in Chains and Rage Against the Machine.

17. johnnyshaka

johnnyshaka TDPRI Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Sherwood Park, AB
    C'mon, Atari made a video game about them in the 80's so somebody out there liked them!

18. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode TDPRI Member

May 26, 2017
    Philadelphia
    Bon Jovi (I live near NJ, where apparently all of their fans live)

brookdalebill likes this.

19. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Holic

Jan 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    Yep, and Aerosmith for me. Very high school-ish in content IMHO.

PearlJamNoCode likes this.

20. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Meister

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.