Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Name a band you don't like but are really popular.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Strato50, Oct 11, 2017 at 7:45 PM.

1. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Generally, I agree, but I saw them in 1979, and they were indeed very good!

Yeah.
    Double yeah.

Gabrielle84 likes this.

2. Splodgeness

Splodgeness TDPRI Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Coventry, England
    Dire Straits
    Coldplay
    Adele..............

MrMarr likes this.

3. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Tele-Afflicted

Rush, Genesis and any other prog rock...good lord it goes on and on and on......

To the poster who said Elvis.......Get out of my office! :)

4. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2014
    Watford, UK
    I suspect that the passing of nearly four decades has resulted in you forming a false memory of the occasion.

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Perhaps.
    The concert was memorable for more than a few reasons.
    I was not a fan, but my bass player got me a date with a lovely girl.
    Perhaps that colored my recollection.
    The concert was at the Frank Irwin Center, hardly an intimate venue, but I recall the band was having fun that night.
    It's funny how seeing a band you dismiss can sometimes change your mind.

Grux likes this.

6. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2014
    Watford, UK
    Ah, the hot chick probably did it for you.

You're right though, I saw Coldplay who I thought were rubbish and ended up thinking "Actually, they're rather good.."

7. Sounds Good

Sounds Good TDPRI Member

Oct 2, 2017
    Luton UK
    I generally like most older type music, i suppose mainly because that is what i grew up with, and can only cram so much in my head, plus i dont care who made it i have listened to even some local bands and they have been very good. Just a music lover i suppose on the whole.

Abit suprised about Genesis specially with Peter Gabrial, how he could change his vocals and do that to match the songs and he is great solo as well. Also the Eagles i liked them alot, i think some music just takes a little more listening to and then one starts to appreciate it more.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 5:00 AM

8. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2014
    Watford, UK
    I really can't understand why some people don't like The Beatles. But everyone has their own taste and are entitled to their own views. It would be a dull world if we all liked the same thing etc.

thesamhill, MrMarr and Sounds Good like this.

9. Sounds Good

Sounds Good TDPRI Member

Oct 2, 2017
    Luton UK
    Yes i like the Beatles also but mostly their solo stuff! when i first started i learnt alot from their songs.

10. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

May 18, 2006

Who the hell likes Journey?

drf64 likes this.

11. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    In no particular order:
    - The Beach Boys
    - Meatloaf
    - Cliff Richard

MrMarr likes this.

12. Despres

Despres Tele-Holic

Aug 14, 2012
    Northeast again
    That's what I was thinking - isn't the premise of this thread bands that have a huge following, not bands that may have been popular at one arbitrary historical point? Same with the Scorpions - my six year old son likes it when their songs come on (and I'll allow that because at least it's not bro country) but I wouldn't say they have a huge following...)

Now Rush, I would have expected to fall by the wayside the same as Journey, and sounds every bit as outdated to me, but for some reason I know many people who are rabid fans. I just never got that.

13. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Ugh too may to list. The problem for me is always that bands may start out ok but by the time I've been compelled to listen to the same songs over and over and over in public places--bars, restaurants, movie theaters, parking garages, commercials--I hate them and they become the sonic equivalent of a dentist drill.

And then the slathering of boomer nostalgia, the reverence, the piety, the "never was music ever so great as blah blah." The endless repetition and the treacly nostalgia are related to each other, and I just hate nostalgia, and so there is a whole bunch of bands that I can no longer hear clearly because of a thick screen of

A: relentless ubiquity
    B: tiresome banal reverence

For me, these bands include

1. the Beatles
    2. The Beach Boys
    3. The eagles

Again--these bands may or may not be good/great, whatever, but it's like if you were forced to eat the same meal all the time while listening to people talk about how it's the greatest meal evah!

Note: For the love of god please don't start telling me about the beatles on the ed sullivan show or how they transformed pop music by using strings and taking drugs or how Sgt pepper's was innovative because the studio as an instrument etc etc. Please don't make me eat that same meal again.

14. theleman

theleman TDPRI Member

Sep 11, 2017
    Mars
    Any bands on the chart right now. Because I don't listen to them, and don't know them.

MrMarr and Grux like this.

15. beagle

beagle Tele-Holic

Jul 20, 2010
    Yorkshire
    The Who the Stones, the Beatles, oh my, this list goes on forever, how long have you got? :D

Grux likes this.

16. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 26, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Genesis and Yes (apart from the Yessongs album), if only for their overblown self-indulgent music. The Dead, which is a shame cos I know some people think they're really good but I don't get it.
    Springsteen for the vocals and the Stereophonics for the same reason. I like quite a few of their songs but can't listen to more than two in a row before the singing begins to really grate.

17. jman72

jman72 Tele-Holic

Aug 31, 2013
    Central Florida
    What about some of their great instrumentals (2112, La Villa Strangiato, YYZ)? I used to hate them for Geddy's voice, then I started listening to these instrumental songs and realized what a great band they were (that I could never tell because I couldn't get past the voice). Gradually I was able to get past the voice and now I actually like it (I also like old Bill Monroe recordings, which also have that high vocal quality).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.