Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NAD Vox AC10C1 with pics

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by lwaun, Jun 27, 2015.

1. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2012
    Candler, FL
    I like that in one of the other AC10C1 threads, that Weber Speakers is doing a custom ceramic Blue Pup, with a 20 oz magnet, instead of the 30 oz magnet. We've already seen the Celestion G10 Greenback will fit.

2. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Aug 30, 2014
    Asheville
    MadJack,

I wrote Weber and C.J. said that any of us can order the Weber DT-10 and request in the comments section “Please build with Pup Cone and British Dustcap." That's the arrangement they made to get the ceramic Blue Pup to fit the AC10C1.

- Bob

3. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

I've ordered Tungsol 12AX7's and a matched pair of JJ EL84's to replace the tubes. I've read several new users who have done that and virtually all of them reported some degree of improvement. Not too worried about the stock Celestion yet, especially if the best options are $100+ for a Weber or Greenback.

4. lwaun

lwaun Tele-Meister

Sep 8, 2004
    Vancouver, BC
    As the OP of this thread I must state I still love this amp. I put in the g10 greenback and the amp just gets better and better.

Still have the original tubes and I just find it hard to believe this amp could sound any better than it already does.

But eventually I will try a set of new production Mullard el84's.

Also find I really do like this amp with my new Les Paul.

5. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2013
    Quebec
    Congrats! Scored my AC-10 a month ago and love it.

6. mapesaudio

mapesaudio TDPRI Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Florida
    Was there any additional depth beyond the greenback, or was that all that would fit? I'm looking into a WGS green beret, and that speaker is 1/8" deeper than the greenback. Doesn't sound like much, but if it won't fit, end of story.
    Thanks

7. mRtINY

mRtINY Tele-Afflicted

May 7, 2015
    Orygun
    ...or, you could front-mount the driver....

-tINY

8. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2013
    Quebec
    I think if you front mounted it, it would poke through the grille cloth.

9. mRtINY

mRtINY Tele-Afflicted

May 7, 2015
    Orygun
    So, build a thick frame and re-cloth the thing.

...or route out a section in the back of the cab 1/8" deep...

I wouldn't worry about the resale value on these. I have a feeling they are gonna sell a boat-load or two of them.

-tINY

10. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2012
    Candler, FL
    In one of the other threads on the AC10C1, two different posters said they mounted the WGS Green Beret 10 in their's. The most recent stated the Green Beret 10 is 4-1/8" and is about as deep as can be mounted in the cab.

11. lwaun

lwaun Tele-Meister

Sep 8, 2004
    Vancouver, BC
    There was no problem mounting the greenback in the cabinet. Was lots of clearance for it

12. lwaun

lwaun Tele-Meister

Sep 8, 2004
    Vancouver, BC
    The greenback fit in the cabinet no problem.

13. Manish

Manish TDPRI Member

Apr 24, 2016
    IL, USA
    Hello,
    Belated but happy healthy successful new year to all.
    Issue my 4 month old Vox AC10C1 is giving out a very very low scratchy (fatrty very low) sound ..........so I changed both power to JJ EL84 and pre amp to tung sol 12ax7 tubes. The sound remains the same. Could some one please suggest what other areas I have to look into. I believe it a very vague question, to be honest I have taken all precautions to stay safe to do what I did. This was a used amp I bought of online. Working perfectly fine......... i did maybe 3-4 gigs on it.........any suggestions would help before I take it to a authorized dealer who is quite far from where insaty.

Attached Files:

14. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Might sound silly but try a different chord.

15. Manish

Manish TDPRI Member

Apr 24, 2016
    IL, USA
    Hello Ebb Soul, I tried, I tried all methods so that I would not have to open up the amp. Different chord, different power cable, nothing worked.

16. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Does it do this set loud but idling, or only playing thru it?
    Sounds a bit like a cone issue to me.

17. Manish

Manish TDPRI Member

Apr 24, 2016
    IL, USA
    Idle it's quite, only while playing.

18. Manish

Manish TDPRI Member

Apr 24, 2016
    IL, USA
    The sound that comes out is very very low and a lot of scratchy voice........

19. Manish

Manish TDPRI Member

Apr 24, 2016
    IL, USA
    I turned the amp on to test and see, there is one thing very noticeable.
    • The sound is still like it was,....scratchy..(farty)
    • The volum knob dosnt seem to be responding properly..... out put sill very low
    • On the other hand it's the gain knob, when i engage it the scratchy sound is most prominent and it seems like the gain knob is the one more dominant over volum knob.
    Ps is there a way I can post a video here?

20. Manish

Manish TDPRI Member

Apr 24, 2016
    IL, USA
    I've put up a link at youtube....

Suddenly the amp sounds fine and then again it's back. It's better that before, but the consistance isnt there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.