Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NAD Vox AC10C1 with pics

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by lwaun, Jun 27, 2015.

1. raf

raf Tele-Afflicted

May 8, 2007
    Indiana
    I love this amp with my tele!

2. raf

raf Tele-Afflicted

May 8, 2007
    Indiana
    By the way...this amp takes pedals really well too. AmSpecial Tele>>BadMonkey>>AC10C1. All the years I broke my back carrying a rig - this would've been a one trip job.

3. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Thought I was picking one of these up today, but Guitar Center had other ideas. Showed up to one of the two locations that the website indicated had one in stock. Not only were they missing an AC10C1, pretty much the entire floor was devoid of amps or product of any kind. My other GC location had done a similar thing. Yeah, I could order one online, but I was planning on flipping a good deal of other equipment to take the sting off the new purchase.

Anyway, to be continued...

4. lwaun

lwaun Tele-Meister

Sep 8, 2004
    Vancouver, BC
    Just to let you know I have only ever played my telecaster through this amp. I have a les Paul but it hasn't left its case since I got the ac10.

So I am anxious to hear from others how hum buckers sound with this amp but it sounds so good with the tele I am seriously thinking of selling the Gibson!

5. lwaun

lwaun Tele-Meister

Sep 8, 2004
    Vancouver, BC
    I really loved my ac15 buy a serious accident forever left me having to sell it. Now the ac10 I can handle.

6. TheletterJ

TheletterJ Tele-Afflicted

Aug 13, 2014
    Rochester, NY
    I just picked up an AC30 and it was a revelation. Now I have an AC10 in my crosshairs for use in my acoustic trio project.

This thing has a master volume control so you can dial in grit at lower volumes, right?

7. raf

raf Tele-Afflicted

May 8, 2007
    Indiana

Sure does.

8. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Still waiting for one to arrive. Is it any wonder why big box stores like Guitar Center are in trouble? I have an Amazon Prime account - I could likely have ordered an AC10C1 delivered to my door within 2 days (same through MF or Sweetwater). This is a new item that carries a fairly high interest level - Guitar Center has none of them in stock across 4 stores here (except for a floor model that I'm not dropping $500 on). They were supposed to be ordering in a new one last Wednesday...still no word.

Pretty sure I tried out like an Epi SG or something to that effect with humbuckers in the store. It sounded quite good. It's a fair question with a one-channel amp because you could imagine a scenario where the single coils provide lots of headroom whereas the humbuckers break things up quickly. But I don't believe that to be the case with the AC10C1, we'll see.

EDIT: Amp arrived today! Online complaining pays off! Busy this weekend though, so it will be several days before I have any kind of real impression with it.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015

9. zilch321

zilch321 NEW MEMBER!

Sep 25, 2015
    Raleigh, NC
    I was digging around doing a bit of research and noticed some folks mention day 1 modifications to the AC10's speaker. Beware that this is a very shallow cabinet. Normally that wouldn't be a huge problem but this is a closed back cabinet with a somewhat unconventional design.

The power tubes for this amplifier sit on a daughter board that is mounted nearly dead center of the rear panel. There will be clearance issues with certain speaker designs, especially AlNiCo styles. The Blue Pup that an earlier poster mentioned probably won't fit. I didn't take any exact measurements but I suspect you only have about 4 1/4" worth of clearance for a rear mounted speaker.

I do believe the power tube section could be relocated to a different location on the back panel if you are adventurous but there will be some effort. Unfortunately the amplifier I was attempting some repair work on is no longer with me so I can't provide specific measurements.

A few other things I noticed about the amp.

Tubes were unbranded AX7s and EL83s. Chinese made, quality was a little rough but when the amp was working properly they sounded OK. A relatively inexpensive matching set of each would probably be an easy modification.

My manual had only minimal information and no schematics.

No adjustable BIAS for the tubes was visible. I didn't spend much time studying the circuit and again, no schematics were included.

Speaker was a Chinese made celestial, 16ohm, labeled as custom for Vox.

Cabinet can be a bit boomy, at least with the strat (neck position) I was using during diagnostics. Not entirely sure the best strategy of taming that.

10. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Just got my AC10C1, and I'm going to start an Owner's Club thread for it. I figure that will be a good opportunity for people to share stories about any reliability issues, since it is a new amp and people seem a little concerned about that. Mine appears to be functioning perfectly out of the box.

I think I can agree with the "boomy" description, though I mean it in both good and bad ways. I started playing with my Strat and didn't want to put it down. I think the AC10C1 trends warmer/darker than many other Vox amps. So a Strat or Tele into the AC10C1 makes a lot of sense.

My SCX2, which is roughly comparable in size and power, was prone to bit of rattling if you hit the low notes. The AC10C1 can handle that a bit better, but yes, with the neck pickup, it can get almost to the point where you want to roll off some bass.

Overall, very happy with the sound of the amp, though. It just responds so well to you while playing, and it's got some great sounds in there that you don't need to be a sound engineer to unlock.

11. MMARSH

MMARSH Tele-Meister

Jun 21, 2015
    CA
    Here's mine:

[​IMG]

Changed tubes, the Chinese ones were not good. Made a big difference!

12. mRtINY

mRtINY Tele-Afflicted

May 7, 2015
    Orygun
    Finally played one of these. The stock speaker is a bit bass-heavy in the cabinet. The reverb was a bit dull sounding (could be due to that stock speaker).

But, generally, a really nice-sounding amp. Quite versatile and plenty loud.... the weight is low too. If I wasn't in love with my G2 Night train 15, I'd probably pick one up.

-tINY

13. donroeber

donroeber TDPRI Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Philadelphia
    No cover is included. I wrote to Vox, they confirmed that no cover is available, and there were no plans to make one.

You could get a custom one made, I guess? Still, disappointing.

14. TheletterJ

TheletterJ Tele-Afflicted

Aug 13, 2014
    Rochester, NY
    So what's the general consensus on these babies?

Obviously the cheap Chinese tubes need to be changed - all new Voxes seem to have that in common. It sounds like the speaker isn't too good either?

Overall is it a good value and can it get the Vox chime?

I'd like to get a grab and go amp of the Vox variety with the same aethestics of my AC30 (just smaller) and the AC10 is the front runner. I've also considered some of their valvetronix stuff.

15. mRtINY

mRtINY Tele-Afflicted

May 7, 2015
    Orygun
    Well, the VR30 may be more to your liking if you want an AC30 sound...

But, the AC10 definitely has the chime. For most guitars the bass end isn't too overboard (and the bass adjustment is well tailored to deal with it).

Go play one!

-tINY

16. surf green tele

surf green tele TDPRI Member

Sep 29, 2015
    SF Bay Area
    This amp is great! I went out and bought this today 10 mins after watching the Andertons review and it seems to have solved my amplifier indecisiveness. Highlights:

Sounds great with humbuckers
    Super boomy which is solved with the eq section
    Speaker does sound a bit cheap but you still get the chimey, brassy vox sound
    It's not heavy!
    Reverb is a nice bonus

Gripes are...no standby switch and the guy at GC wouldn't give me any kind of break on the price. But it has more personality and responsiveness (and is cheaper) than the blues jr I was trying to avoid. Great amp!

17. raf

raf Tele-Afflicted

May 8, 2007
    Indiana
    Got mine new for $399...love it with my tele!

18. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Aug 30, 2014
    Asheville
    I am absolutely loving this amp. My wonderful Princeton '68 Custom is getting a lot less playing time lately. At the $404 price I got from GC, this amp is just outstanding. Takes pedals well, loves the Timmy OD, and seems to have a thing for my Strat.

Now, time to go out and find a good deal on a Tele to complete the loop. <g>

- Bob

19. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Yep, this has been my experience too. LOVES Strats. Not to say that it can't sound great with Les Pauls and other guitars, but you have less clean headroom and it needs a little tweaking.

I won't say that it's great with all pedals - the gain structure of a Vox is different than a lot of other amps, so some of my high gain pedals sound "different" (not necessarily bad). But Tubescreamers sound incredible and I do have a Timmy clone with active EQ that was very cool.

Considering trying a tube switch based on reading everyone and their grandma saying they did that. I guess I would be more motivated to do it if I had a clearer sense of how it would improve the amp. No major complaints about the stock amp thus far.

20. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Aug 30, 2014
    Asheville
    Tubes are up next. Sounds like most good quality tube replacements, with maybe something sweet or NOS in the V1 provides a real upgrade.

Speaker replacements are going to be problematic. The funky chassis arrangement for the tube platform is already causing fitment issues for some. Looks like alnico's are a no-go due to the large bell / magnet interfering with the chassis.

- Bob

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.