NAD; Vintage Fender Amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Country Guitarist, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Country Guitarist

Country Guitarist TDPRI Member

My new to me, Fender Bassman 10 4x10.

I've only had about 20 minutes so far plugged straight in, no pedalboard but this thing sounds great so far! I need to get my pedal board into the Studio channel and give her a test run.

Bassman 10.jpeg

Whoever had it before me (bought it used from a GC) just put new tubes in from Tube Depot (still has stickers on them) and they got a "perfect match" for the power tubes. I think this may just become my new favorite amp.

Brucesu, Alex W, lineboat and 15 others like this.
  2. Ebling

Ebling TDPRI Member

Congrats!

3. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Congrats, Looks to be in excellent condition.

I love old Fender amps.

4. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

A rad band from Greensboro, NC called All Night used to use a bunch of those and they sounded GREAT. Not a very highly regarded amp, but I think they’re cool as hell.

Here’s one of the few songs by them that’s online. I think you can see a Bassman 10 in the back of the photo?

gridlock likes this.
  5. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

I love those amps for guitar, AND for low volume bass gigs. The main problem, especially if it has casters on it, IT WILL TIP OVER IF YOU LOOK AT IT CROSSEYED! :)

6. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Those 4x10 Bassmans are a really great amp, you will enjoy that one, but please don't leave it sitting so close to the floor vent...I am sure you already know why.

They can be pretty heavy, but personally, for a home rig it doesn't matter and makes for a fun home set-up.

7. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

You are wise beyond your years- or lucky beyond belief- to have discovered The Secret of Tone so early in life.

That's forty more years of great musical experience in a box, right there...…

It doesn't matter if it spends the next few decades as a Studio Queen- or bouncing in and out of your van- it's all the amp most players might ever need and will take you on more adventures than you realise, at the moment.

Treasure it. Play the bejeezus out of it. Service it! Put it in your will, for the most deserving Grandkid.

(time to make a Will!)

How do I know these truths? I've got two of 'em. :D:cool::rolleyes::)

Milspec likes this.
  8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Great amps!
    A childhood friend had one.
    Congratulations!

9. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    Had one once... a rad guitar amp.. can get really raunchy if you want it to... congrats!

10. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Our bass player uses one as his main amp.

Amp sounds great.

Him ?

Hmmmm...o_O

basdenchris likes this.
  11. basdenchris

basdenchris TDPRI Member

An acquaintance of mine wanted to sell me one for $200 a couple years ago, but I didn't feel like driving two hours each way to make the deal.

12. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Great amp, congrats!!

13. Country Guitarist

Country Guitarist TDPRI Member

So I finally sat down with this amp with my Pedal Board and it's been great so far!

With a Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive Mod, this amp is like perfect country twang. Like Brent Mason type of stuff from Alan Jackson to Brooks and Dunn. A little bit of Compression just seals the deal.

Stacking Overdrives leads to a nice creamy type of OD. I'm still tweaking these for what I like but liking so far what I got.

My tremolo pedal gets it really close to having a vibrato channel. A little tweaking and it should pull off that type of sound no problem.

Now my Phase 90 just makes this amp scream Waylon Jennings. Now if I had a Ralph Mooney pedal I'd be playing Waylon all the time with this amp haha.

The Bass/Normal channel doesn't do much for me. It's too "muddy" for guitar in my opinion. It lacks chime per say. Now the Bass/Studio channel with the bright switch on makes this amp great for guitar. I have no idea if this amp has the stock speakers or others in it. But with the Studio channel and the bright switch on this thing is great for classic to modern country.

This amp is strictly clean though (as I figured. You gotta use pedals to get a dirtier sound. Now cranking this beast makes it a little different but you still need to push it on the front end to get it into dirty tones.

For me though this amp is perfect being I add my little blended dirt with a Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive Mod. I love how clean this amp is. It has the Fender cleans with more headroom then I'd ever use up.

So far I've only had my strat and Tele through it. I think my ES-175 and Les Paul will more then likely push this amp a lot harder. No idea on how well my Yamaha bass will sound through it yet. I might try it soon once I get everything more organized and setup in my practice room.

wmsimpson likes this.
  14. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Great amp-I had one and really liked it- I only sold it because I also had a super reverb and did not have a reverb pedal

15. hockey guy

hockey guy Tele-Meister

Congrats on your new amp. Enjoy.

16. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Do yourself a favor and check to make sure the speakers are wired correctly.
    Those came with an output transformer that wants to see 8 ohms impedance, no big deal exept they built them two ways. Some had 8 ohm speakers wired series/parallel or parallel/series to get 8 ohms. And some had 32 ohm speakers wired parallel to get 8 ohms.
    No problems yet.
    However if someone pulls the 32 ohmers and puts in the far more common 8 ohmers and doesn't rewire, you've now got 2 ohms into an 8 ohm tranny. Not good!
    Or since 2 ohms was standard for all 4-10 Fenders prior this one, someone might have screwed that up, even if it had 8 ohmers originally.
    Also check the OT codes to see exactly what it's got, just in case it's been changed already.
    Last one I messed with sounded fantastic! Hated to let the guy have it back.

If it's hasn't been serviced yet get that done ASAP, as well as addressing the bias balance set up.

Syrinx likes this.
  17. Syrinx

Syrinx Tele-Meister

Word Bobby Z- those 32 ohm speakers are the "weak link" when it comes to bedroom modders. Fun amps- and to me what a tube screamer was designed for!

BobbyZ likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.