Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NAD - Silvertone and Traynor YGM4

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by tonyv77, Sep 10, 2017.

1. tonyv77

tonyv77 Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2009
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Got a couple new amps on trades and a local second hand shop.

First one is an old (late 50s?) Silvertone amp and speaker for a record player (I assume ). Has an RCA input, 8 ohm 8 inch speaker and volume, treble and bass controls. 6v6 power tubes. Can't remember the preamp. Complete schematic drawn on the inside. My idea for this one is to swap the RCA for a 1/4" input and add an external speaker out. Would like to add a 3 prong plug as well. Most likely will have an amp tech look it over.

Second is a Traynor YGM-4. 4x8 speakers, reverb (not working) and trem. This one seems a bit quiet at half volume. Not sure what's going on but seems like it should be louder. Needs a 3 prong too I think. Interesting amp. Again probably heading to the amp tech. IMG_20170910_185838.jpg IMG_20170910_185713.jpg

brookdalebill likes this.

2. tonyv77

tonyv77 Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2009
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Also, what do you guys think of a noob doing amp mods. Are filter caps all I have to worry about?

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

4. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2003
    North Louisiana around Many
    I would say if your wanting to get into amp mods and repair, if their asking price is not out of line---may be a good place to jump in. I'm a tube amp builder and repair person.

The Silvertone sounds like a good project. Good thing to know all the tubes before you buy for a project so you can know what to shoot for such as a 5E3 Deluxe or a 5F1 Champ circuit. If it has the same tube configuration, you can just re-wire it like the fenders. The schematics and layouts are on the net. I've converted a many Hi-fi, reel to reel, PA amp. To do it right is a lot more than just putting a 1/4 input in it.

The Traynor---the fact that it works means both your power transformer and Output transformer is probably OK. The problem in weakness in output could be a lot of things, bad tube, bad connection, damaged/burnt component. If has to be properly checked out.....without a lot of studying and patients you can not know what to do to fix the amp. So if you want to jump in, you need to do a lot of studying first!

Modding is a big buzz word on the amp forums. Before you set out to mod an amp, it's a good idea to get it working properly first. How would you know the mod helped the amp if the amp wasn't working properly to start with. Repair the amps first, then try mods. Platefire

BTW-wouldn't want to discourage you cause if I can learn it, anybody can. There is plenty of good info on the net if your willing to dig and learn.

tonyv77 likes this.

5. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Do you know how to discharge them safely and the related safety "rules" for working on amps (what you can touch and *not*, that once the amp is turned on some filter caps hold deadly voltage even when the amp is unplugged, the one-hand rule etc etc)?

If not I suggest no - take them both to a tech. With the Traynor not working it'd be foolish to try to fix it yourself if you have no experience. And Silvertones are usually *not* laid out in any type of logical manner - and you'd need to be able to read a schematic, identify test points, etc etc.

Not very good learning platforms. *Working* 50's/60's/70's Fenders are because the layout mostly makes sense and goes from one side of the amp to the other. But not all amps are like that, and if one is not working it's just a bad idea to jump in "green".

PS - you might try to find out if the Silvertone has a power transformer if you know (or somebody does) how to identify it.

Most do but a few with 3 controls don't - and if it doesn't you don't want to go anywhere near it! they are very dangerous unless you use an isolation transformer as the chassis can be "hot" with full AC voltage is it's plugged in wrong. I throw them away if in mediocre shape - seriously. And I won't work on them any longer, even in mint condition. Too much liability.

RoscoeElegante likes this.

6. tonyv77

tonyv77 Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2009
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Here's the schematic for the Silvertone.

Attached Files:

• ST1.jpg
      ST1.jpg
      File size:
      77.7 KB
      Views:
    • ST3.jpg
      ST3.jpg
      File size:
      94.4 KB
      Views:

7. Silverface

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    It has a PT so it'd probably be a good one to have serviced! Personally I love old Silvertones - I have a '53 1342, a wonderful low-power combo.

PS - I didn't see a model number. Is there one noted somewhere?

Also - Is the input jack a standard 1/4" jack? I'm just wondering because the speaker complement is a bit unusual, and there are a few Silvertone-badged hi-fi amps floating around. Don't see them often - but if it is one it probably will not make a very good guitar amp without modification.

8. tonyv77

tonyv77 Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2009
    New Brunswick, Canada
    The model is 9315-T. I've seen a couple come up on Reverb.com (https://reverb.com/ca/item/1071558-silvertone-9315-t-1959). RCA mono input. Played my guitar through it. Not a bad sound. Not looking for this to become a gigging amp or even to leave the house much. Just a studio toy/tool. PT is clearly marked so I knew I was safe there.
    The honest battle in my head now is to do a quick flip and make a buck to keep the shop funds flowing, or keep it, learn some more and have a fundky little amp to play with.

9. tonyv77

tonyv77 Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2009
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Update on the Traynor. Dropped it off at my amp tech (he specializes in Traynors).
    -Installed new filter caps.
    -Fixed the tube driven reverb.
    -Quick fix for torn 8" speaker cone
    -Cleaned everything
    -Installed a 3 prong cord
    -Removed "death cap"
    -New speaker wire with 1/4" plug to make swapping between ext. and int. speakers easy.
    -New cap on the bright switch to make it usable.

All for less than $200 (CAN.!)

I'm sure I'm missing something but now I'm excited to pick it up. Probably won't be for a couple days (I'm a busy family man).

10. Silverface

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Yep, that's a hi-fi amp. Still, as you found, they usually sound from OK to really good.

A good tech can do minor tweaks to make it sound better for guitar. Of course, not matter what it needs service before you use it. You can't find a stock-type power transformer at the usual guitar amp sources if a cap blows and takes it out. It may also sound fine -0 caps often go without any warning at all. and are especially vulnerable if the amp has been sitting for some time. I suggest leaving it alone until you can get it serviced and not risk damage.

The other thing to consider is that the hifi versions of Jensens and other speakers are often a bit different from guitar amp speakers (even when they have similar numbers). They have low power handling to start with. Playing it at high volume - or even medium volume if you use an overdrive or distortion pedal - will likely not be good for them. Distortion is a unique problem with hi-fi and other speakers with low power handling because of the heat it generates in the voice coil. Power handling is actually much lower when distortion is generated, so if you plan to use it that way you should consider different speakers and save those in case you sell it.

11. tonyv77

tonyv77 Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2009
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Well this amp actually sold (pending pickup). Looked at the time and money that could go into and thought about passing it on.

12. tonyv77

tonyv77 Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2009
    New Brunswick, Canada
    The Traynor is back home. Just needs two EL34's. They are barely holding on. Can be a bit expensive around these parts. I'll see what I can find. Also the stock speakers will probably be replaced with my Greenback if my Darkhorse sells. We shall see.

13. tonyv77

tonyv77 Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2009
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Guitar nerd lesson #145: A "vintage tube amp" or even one 10-20 years old is not always a sweet deal, even if free. Caps, tubes and proper servicing don't come cheap. But in this case, worth it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.