Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NAD - Perfect Small Amp (I hope)

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by T-Bone, Jul 26, 2017.

1. T-Bone

T-Bone Tele-Holic

Aug 28, 2012
    Toronto
    In my (not uncommon) quest for a small, gig-worthy, tube amp, I came across the perfect amp on Kijiji this week.

1) No bigger than a Pro Junior
    2) 15 watts min
    3) Built in reverb

Answer: Laney LC15r

All of my requirements plus
    Effects Loop
    Line out
    Hi & Lo inputs
    Separate gain & Volume plus bass/mid/treble EQ

About the same size and weight as my Bugera v5

I've read the reviews, most are very good, but a few had problems with overheating and the original HH speaker was not very good. Mine is a later production model with the Celestion speaker and lots of ventilation. Part of the low weight is obviously due to the smallish transformers. I'll probably turn off between sets to let it cool.

At home it's been a little monster. Perfect. First gig test will be on Friday.

IMG_9786.JPG

2. North East Al

North East Al Tele-Meister

Apr 7, 2011
    Hartlepool, UK
    Hi. I've got the VC15 and was considering putting the Celestion G10 40 in it. Are they a nice match?

T-Bone likes this.

3. T-Bone

T-Bone Tele-Holic

Aug 28, 2012
    Toronto
    Can't really give you a fair answer. Mine has the later stock Celestion Tube 10. It sounds great to me, but I believe the G10 is supposed to be a step up from the Tube 10.

4. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2012
    Madison, WI, USA
    Excellent choice, as I've found mine to be quite good! I've used mine at small room full band blues jams, always came through. Great around home, too.

I have one of the last UK made models, and it came with a Celestion G10N-40, which was a pretty good speaker, but, at 95db@1w, I was stretched pretty thin some nights for cleanish sounds. I replaced it with an Emi Redcoat Ramrod, problem solved for that venue size situation!

I really like mine, sounds great through a larger cab too.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    T-Bone likes this.

5. T-Bone

T-Bone Tele-Holic

Aug 28, 2012
    Toronto
    Post gig follow up...

Two gigs in smallish clubs. Mic'd in both. Sounded great. Performed flawlessly. Very pleased.

Checked out its tube complement; seems to have been retubed at some time, as all 5 are now TAD Preferred series.

I'm considering a speaker upgrade, but a bit torn. The Tube 10 sounds OK, so not sure if I want to bother spending time and money to make it sound even better.

R00STER likes this.

6. T-Bone

T-Bone Tele-Holic

Aug 28, 2012
    Toronto
    Mine is a later U.K. Model too. Seems like that vintage is the best as far as build quality and reliability.

7. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    I have both the LC15 and LC15R, early models with the HH 10" speaker. Really portable gigging amps. I use them in pubs and clubs without miking them up. I recently acquired a closed back 2x12 cab loaded with Celestion G12s, which gives the LC15s a lot more bottom end, but don't really need it as I have a bassist and drummer to fill that end of the spectrum.

T-Bone likes this.

8. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2017
    California USA
    It looks surprisingly similar to the new Monoprice 15 tube amp.

9. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Holic

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
    I must've had my LC15R for about 20 years now and love it to bits. It's had a Jenson C10Q in it for about 19.9 of these years and I have no intension of changing it.

T-Bone likes this.

10. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2012
    Madison, WI, USA
    T-Bone, what type of music are you playing out with the Laney?

11. T-Bone

T-Bone Tele-Holic

Aug 28, 2012
    Toronto
    Only blues, and about 90% of that is harmonica through a Shaker harp mic.

Guitar sound is pretty clean, with crunch from the gain dial more than the volume, which I believe translates into hot pre-amp tubes, with the EL84s running at only about 60% (1 or 2 PM) Harp settings are the same, but the Shaker mic adds some dirt & distortion

12. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Do that. Even with the ventilation they suffer from problems with failed traces due to heat. It's caused by the basic construction and air movement doesn't really overcome close contact-based heat.

13. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2012
    Madison, WI, USA
    I haven't had a heating issue with it on for a couple hours, but I will keep that in mind.

Blues here, too, although all guitar. I'm running both volumes around straight up for a slightly dirty sound. I'll adjust those either way depending if I want it cleaner or dirtier. No mic.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    T-Bone likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.