Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NAD: PEAVEY Studio Pro Silverstripe

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Mr_Martin, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2009
    Cologne, Germany
    Bought the Studio Pro last week for 70 Euros (about 80 Dollars).
    My Redstripe Bandit was to heavy, my Silverstripe Envoy 110 not loud enough with our Drummer.

The Studio is perfect: less weight but enough power for a loud drummer.
    I always thought the Redstripe was the best of the Transtube series
    but i like the drive channel of the Silverstripe more.
    The clean channels ar equal.

Bildschirmfoto 2018-10-10 um 11.08.40.png

Here a nice review from "intheblues":

2. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    At the store where I worked we sold a lot of the studio Pro 112s, one of the best sounding SS amps of all time. It's too bad that Peavey started treating their dealers so poorly when Hartley's son took over the business, 'cause there used to be a lot of Peavey dealers here in Hawaii, and now there are none, 'cause no one wants to deal with them.

3. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

More of the Bandit models are better than Internet lore gives them credit next to the Red Stripes. I like them better than the headaches that come along with tubes. I own more than one Bandit and a Studio Pro 212.

A raw video but it gives some good details.

Jakedog and Mr_Martin like this.

4. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    $80? That's a steal!

Mr_Martin likes this.

5. ce24

ce24 Friend of Leo's

Jan 26, 2008
    Idahoastan
    I love my studio pro! Congrats!

6. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Meister

Apr 12, 2011
    Stoney Creek, Ontario
    I sold my red stripe bandit due to the weight. I've kept my red stripe studio pro and I love it.

7. Rialto1564

Rialto1564 Tele-Meister

Jun 12, 2013
    Metro Detroit
    Nice.

What is it about the silver stripe's drive that you like more than the red stripe's? Just curious. Haven't tried the ss.

8. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2009
    Cologne, Germany
    The drive sounds a bit more more grit and more glassy heighs than the Red Stripe.
    The Red Stripe sounds softer to me.

Like the guy in the video says:
    The Silverstripe sounds more vintage, the Redstripe more modern.

Here's a comparison of the drive channels at minute 6:00:

9. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Congrats! I had a couple of Studio Pros years ago. One was a teal stripe Studio Pro 110, the other a silver stripe just like yours. The 110 version I gave to my son when he needed an amp. I gigged with the 112, eventually sold it (needed the money at the time). The Studio Pro 112 was about 10 lbs. lighter than my Bandit 65, but the same wattage output and a good amp for gigging.

Mr_Martin likes this.

10. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    down every road
    I'll chime in with the same thing I say in all these "old Peavey" threads: Studio Pro 112 is where it's at. I love, LOVE mine and it goes to at least every outdoor gig. Lighter than a Bandit and darn near as loud. Arguably the best of that era's Transtube amps.

I have two red-stripe Envoys and I use those mostly indoors. Loud as he** and if not I throw an SM57 in front.

Congratulations and enjoy yours!

Mr_Martin and LGOberean like this.

11. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2009
    Cologne, Germany
    Here the difference in size (StudioPro + Envoy)

StudioPro_Envoy_small.jpg

LGOberean likes this.

12. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Yeah, that's familiar. Those two amps will stand you in good stead for a lot of jams and gigs, at a variety of venues.

I had both of those amps at one time. I've actually owned two Studio Pros and three Envoys over the years. I spoke of the Studio Pros earlier. Of the Envoy 110s, I had a teal stripe, the silver stripe/black box like the one you just pictured, and a red stripe. The only downside for me lately to the Bandits and the Studio Pros is the weight. I've got a a shoulder injury with two torn tendons, so I need extra light gear. However, IIRC, the Envoy weighs like 20 lbs. or so, and still can get loud.

Mr_Martin likes this.

13. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    I gigged my red stripe Bandit last week. 6 band show, I had to come and go and since that Bandit was there for backline/anyone who needed it, I left the Dr Z at home and used it as a pedal platform.

I found the cleans "too clean." Almost thin. Is that fixable with a speaker swap, maybe a compressor pedal? It has the Sheffield speaker. I had it in vintage mode, bass and mids at 3 o'clock, treble at noon, presence at 11 o'clock, T dynamics 100%, volume to taste.

14. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    The assessment of the cleans of a Bandit as "too clean" is of course subjective. Are you listening for a clean with a bit of grit to it? A Bandit will stay clean up to 2 o'clock or thereabouts. And at that point, it's LOUD!

But to describe it as "almost thin"? That doesn't track at all with my experience. Every Bandit I've owned or heard had what I would call "beefy" cleans. Granted, I've never owned a Bandit with the Sheffield speaker. I have had a Studio Pro and an Envoy 110 with an unlabeled speaker, not Scorpion, but Sheffield? I dunno. Anyway, even that Studio Pro with the unlabeled speaker had beefy cleans. Maybe "thinner" than a Bandit by comparison.

15. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2009
    Cologne, Germany
    Never had a Peavey with "too clean" and thin sound. Always beefy, dynamic and tubey.
    That's what the Transtube technology promises and holds.

greets

16. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    I guess I shouldnt blame the amp. I prefer my cleans on the dirty side. As in, jyst to the clean side of the edge of breakup, where a hard downstoke is a bit hairy. And THAT, IMO, is the difference between tube and solid state. SS cleans are, well CLEAN! I max the T Dynamics on my Bandit. I'm gonna play around more with it, to see if I can get a good clean tone how I like it on the crunch channel, or just run a pedal in front of it. I have a Joyo American Sound that should add some hair to the cleans.

17. manic mailman

manic mailman TDPRI Member

Sep 30, 2015
    central Europe
    HNAD! I own the same version studio pro as yours and really like it so far. Volume wise it keeps up with my bandmate's Bugera V22 halfstack just fine.

But theres one issue. The other day I've noticed one odd thing during rehearsal with my Studio Pro 112. When playing certain part of the song we play there was this smell comming out of my Peavey. It was odd smell like some synthetic material burning but without visible smoke or audible malfunction. And this situation repeated like three times. Every time during the part when I play appergio. Drummer suggested that it was just frying dust collected on transformer. The amp still plays nicely but I'm quite concerned about it.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018 at 8:47 AM

18. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2009
    Cologne, Germany

Then don't play arpeggios :)

19. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Cool, I’ll keep an eye on CL and the local pawn shops.
    Thanks for the heads up!

20. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Holic

Jul 1, 2005
    North Texas
    Old Peaveys are the best bang for buck out there today. I picked up a Special 130 a while back for $99 out the door at a pawnshop, very clean, original Scorpion plus...this, along with my Bandit 65 I got a few years back for $50 out the door at another pawn shop, puts my going rate on old Peaveys at $0.77 a watt, hard to beat for a virtually indestructible clean pedal platform. Congrats on your new amp!

BB likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.