Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NAD: Peavey Envoy Redstripe

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by markal, Sep 12, 2018.

1. markal

markal Tele-Holic

Mar 24, 2016
    Colorado
    Another Peavey Envoy NAD for the forum. Picked this up off Reverb for $125 shipped. It’s very clean and works well. Has a replacement reverb tank. Arrived yesterday.

Man, this is a BRIGHT amp. With my brighter guitars (tele, Gretsch) I run the highs way down, like no higher than 9 o’clock. With my darker PRS I can run the highs a little more.

Anybody else find the red stripe Envoy to be very bright? Is it the speaker?

Pretty sure I’ll keep it regardless. It’s meant to be a super light grab-n-go for group jams I like to attend. And I think I can tame the ice picks.

IMG_4871.JPG

haggardfan1 and blakestree like this.

2. Rialto1564

Rialto1564 Tele-Meister

Jun 12, 2013
    Metro Detroit
    Mine doesn't strike me as overly bright. But I play humbuckers and tend to use nickel or flatwound strings. Tele with thin steel strings might be another story.

Does yours have the blue marvel speaker?

Also, the eq is pretty good and using the vintage/modern switch gives nice alternatives. I'm sure you'll work it out.

Great amp though. I use mine daily at home.

3. teleman55

teleman55 Tele-Holic

Jul 9, 2007
    fox lake, il
    I've got the newer model. Got it used this year for $100 plus tax and shipping so about $125. Was looking for a red stripe but this popped up so... Got for when we do little restaurant gigs. It's great for that. It's become my band rehearsal amp too. It's about 10 years old. Bright??? I'd say more it has an edge. A cut through the mix edge. I guess that means bright. And part of it is 1x10. 10's seem brighter. I've got the same generation Bandit and the Envoy is probably a bit brighter. So for the same sound you set the EQs on each amp a bit different. That's all. Also remember some of the bright could be the mid too, or the bass too low. But 10s can be bright than 12s, or 15s. I've got a 210 Delta Blues. It's brighter than a 115 one. A Pro Jr is brighter (or edgier) than a Blues Jr. The dials have a range for a reason. When I play a gig through the normal channel of my old DR I often have the bass on 3. When I use a Boss DS1 with a Tele I may have the tone at 9:00. Also, those switches make a big difference. Like my clean channel has modern, classic and warm. Yours has that too, or maybe it's modern and vintage, but yeah play with that for sure.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018

4. TimmyV

TimmyV Tele-Holic

Aug 11, 2014
    Ohio
    I put a Jensen mod 10/50 in mine. It’s way better than the stock speaker. Better bottom sweeter highs . Does dirt well also. It really opens this amp up! Plus it’s kind of a budget speaker but it’s perfect for this amp.

5. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I bought a red stripe Envoy some years ago now, but gave it to my brother, so it's been a while since I've played through it. But I don't remember it being overly bright. I've owned other Envoys (teal stripe, silver stripe) and Studio Pros and Bandits, and maybe comparing the Envoy 1x10" to the 1x12" amps it sounds brighter, I dunno. It's a fine amp, though, useful from the bedroom to jams to small/quieter gigging situations.

6. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    I have found that Peavey Silverstripe era and beyond (red stripe, cyclopes, etc...) are very bright, especially since I play teles and strats. It can be dialed back though.... don't be afraid to turn the treble back to 9:00 or even lower if you need to.... they are still nice sounding amps. I run my Fender amps with the treble dialed back to 2 or 3... is that any different? Just dial it in to where it sounds good, turn it up and enjoy it! Don't worry about where you need to set the controls.

7. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    down every road
    I have two of those, and don't find either to be particularly bright. I've always used 112 or 212 combos (except for a brief period when I gigged a Pro Junior) and I found the focused mids with the Envoy 110 took some getting used to. But, I like them.

My Envoys get way more playing time than my Studio Pro 112, simply because they're portable AND they can handle most of my indoor gigs, especially if miked. What's really fun is using two at once.

Yours looks super clean, and I bet you'll bond with it. Congratulations!

If something catastrophic happened to all my amps, and I had to select one new model, I think I'd buy a current-generation Envoy and be done.

8. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Tele-Afflicted

Apr 2, 2012
    The Bluegrass
    I’m pretty sure I have mine cut back to 4 or 5 on the Highs dial. I also feel like the mids replace that a bit as I run Mids at maybe 6 or even 7? Lows on 7 or 8? Always on the clean setting.

9. markal

markal Tele-Holic

Mar 24, 2016
    Colorado
    My other amps, a blues cube artist and an Orange Crush 60, are pretty dark, so maybe it’s just the contrast. With the envoy I’ve been running the bass up around 7, mids just below noon, and depending on guitar, the highs between 9 o’clock and noon. That works pretty well, except with the strat. I haven’t found a sound I like with the strat, but it’s only been a couple days.

Not crazy about the drive channel but I expected that from past experience with bandits and studio pros. However, using the vintage voice on the drive channel with the pre gain set low-ish and then hitting it with my BB Preamp sounds pretty damn good.

I’m liking it. Will definitely like this little envoy for jams.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.