NAD - Peavey Envoy 110

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Mexitele Blues, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Meister

Found on craigslist, picked it up yesterday. I see what the fuss is about. This is a nice little amp.

20190210_123750.jpg

The clean channel vintage voicing does the Fender scooped thing pretty well. The modern voicing puts the mids out front and adds some compression. The lead channel is great up to 4 on vintage. I even found a decent crunch and incredible sustain with the post dimed and the modern voice on 1. After that it's all unusable, unless you like to crank out the occasional dimebag riff like, uhh, I do. Like most amps, it feels like the trick is to crank it up and ride the guitar volume. But it runs out of headroom quite early. Up against my (also) 40 watt Pro Reverb, the Envoy dimes out at a 4 on the fender's knob.

The Blue Marvel speaker is so bright. So. Bright. I run my amps bright with my tele rolled down a touch normally but still had to cut treble on both channels. I have 2 Blue Marvel 10s in my delta blues that are nowhere near as shrill, so if the label didn't say 2002, I'd wonder if the speaker wasn't broken in yet. Swapped in a '65 Jensen C10Q and the amp was instantly smoother and darker. But at only 35 watts it had to come back out, so I'm taking speaker recommendations if you've got'em (and I know you do).

I made some questionable cosmetic improvements also, since Peavey's design dept isn't out to clench any industry awards.

I think this is the second NAD for this little guy - searching up some info here yielded what looks like the previous owner's thread. Maybe user @markal can confirm.

ukepicker, gridlock and JustABluesGuy like this.
  2. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

Congratulations! I’ve been keeping my eye out for a cheap Envoy as well.

I would try it out with my 2x10 cab loaded with Eminence Legend 1028ks. What impedance does it expect?

Mexitele Blues likes this.
  3. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Holic

I had one once and stupidly traded it. I had an Eminence Ragin Cajun speaker in it and it sounded great.

4. Mexitele Blues

6 ohms.

5. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

mine is magnificent

It's my go to rig with the Headrush Pedalboard. I'm hunting another for stereo.

Mine is same as yours, paid $50

I only wish it had a speaker out like the RedStripe Studio Pro and Bandit big brothers.

6. DADGAD

DADGAD Tele-Afflicted

Nice amp! I have a silver stripe transtube Envoy. I changed the stock speaker to an alnico and it is very smooth.

Have fun with that amp!

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  7. Mexitele Blues

One for Ragin Cajun. Those are fairly bright as well I believe.

That's a steal. I gave $125, probably on the high side.

Was it loud enough to gig?

Thanks! I was thinking about alnico, a local used gear place has a few, maybe they have a 10".

8. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I'm suppose to go pick up an Audition 110 for $25 but it's snowing and I'm being lazy.

Nickadermis likes this.
  9. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Afflicted

Funnily enough, I just dug out my old Envoy yesterday! I used to use it often but it has been lying in the spare room, untouched for many years. I bought it new in 1990. Still works perfectly.

10. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

My Envoy is insanely loud on lead channel. Clean channel is more tame. It is just a great SS amp. It is not a practice amp on lead channel.....

11. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

I have the Red Stripe... I use it live in just about any venue.

haggardfan1 likes this.
  12. markal

markal Tele-Holic

Well I sold one yesterday so that must be it. Good meeting you.

How are you liking it?

Mexitele Blues likes this.
  13. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

Those “cosmetic improvements” you made removed the silver and red stripe underneath the control panel that identified the amp as the Envoy 110 from the TransTube Series, and which would tell us whether it was “Designed and Made in U.S.A.” or just “Designed in U.S.A.”
    [​IMG]

I’ve owned several Envoy 110s, from teal stripe to silver stripe to red stripe. The latter I gave to my brother years ago, but if he ever says he’s through with it, I’ll gladly take it back. The teal stripe was 35 watts, not 40 like the silver stripe Envoys on down to the present. The teal stripe had the least headroom of those I owned. But that was okay for those times I wanted to play what I call drive-the-cats-from-the-room music. I owned an Ibanez superstrat, and I’d crank the amp and play the hard rock of my day: “I Can see For Miles,” “Born to Be Wild,” you get the idea. :twisted:

14. TimmyV

TimmyV Tele-Holic

Yep I’ve had one for years now. Speaker recommendation- Jensen Mod 10/50. I modded mine with a Tdynamics control and an fx loop. Here’s a little secret. The power amp board is the same as the studio pro. Peavey didn’t populate on the Envoy like they did the studio pro. Get a schematic and start filling in the missing pieces . That’s what I did. So mine is basically a 40 watt studio pro 110

15. DADGAD

DADGAD Tele-Afflicted

Peavey amps are great work horse amps that take pedals well. All of these cost me between $20 and $75. I used an Envoy with a band for a while, until the band got louder. Then I switched to the Studio Pro.

[​IMG]

Mexitele Blues and LGOberean like this.
  16. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

Congrats on the new amp.
    I've got a new-to-me Peavey as well - I'm wondering if speakers are their main weakness.

17. Mexitele Blues

I like it a lot. Good sounds and light weight. I'm going to see how it plays with its tube brethren tonight.

[​IMG]

Meh, all that info is on the back panel. Yes it's made in USA!

Funny, I was looking up frequency response charts on Amplified Parts last night and all but settled on the Jensen Mod 10-50. Can you elaborate on the mods you made? I would use an extensions speaker jack if it's available.

Like I said above, the 10" Blue Marvels in my Delta Blues sound much smoother. Not sure what's up with this one.

18. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

I now have two Envoys identical to yours (well, best I can tell after the cosmetic alterations).

The maiden voyage of my first one was in a room about the size of a school auditorium with a stage at one end, at a wedding reception. I used it unmiked, and was astonished by its performance.

I now have two, and have used one or both in all manner of live venues. I've also used one as a slave amp to a larger Peavey, on stages where PA didn't permit miking but I needed more dispersion. Envoys, old or new, are just hard to beat for an all around easy-to-carry, giggable amp.

As I've stated on other threads, if I was forced to be rid of all my current amps and choose one new purchase...I think I'd buy a current generation Envoy and be done.

19. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

What alnico did you put in it?

20. DADGAD

DADGAD Tele-Afflicted

It was an old Eminence from an Acoustic 6X10 that I had reconed years ago by Orange County speaker repair. Sorry but I don’t recall the model. It is 8 ohms with a 1.25” voice coil.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.