Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups

NAD: Orange 'Crush' Practice Amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Larmo63, Mar 11, 2018.

1. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Cool, great, versatile little amps!

2. Larmo63

Larmo63 Tele-Meister

Feb 1, 2018
    San Clemente
    I am amazed by this thing. It's well thought out and versatile. I sound like an advert for these. I've always been a Fender amp guy exclusively, but the clean sound on this amp appeals to me.

3. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2013
    The basic guitar comes in at -20 dbu.
    Basic consumer "line" is usually -10 dbu.
    Assuming that your "line out" isn;t +4,
    then I would maybe plug it into a #2 input on the DRRI which at least attenuates it by 6db.

4. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Tele-Afflicted

May 25, 2010
    North Alabama
    I have a Micro Terror Head with a Tungsol Au7 in place of the stock tube. Really cleaned it up. Get big fat and round cleans now. Not Fender cleans but great in there own right.
    The Crush 35 is a great little amp. I’d get one but I’ve got too many amps already.
    Larmo63 likes this.

5. markal

markal Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2016
    I had a Crush 35rt and liked the clean tone of it. Lots of mids and kind of woody without being nasal. I don’t play any high gain, and I found it hard to get an edge-of-breakup blues tone, though (even with pedals) so I sold it. They’re good amps though.

6. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

Feb 11, 2004
    I had the 20RT and had no problem getting edge of breakup on the clean channel, but then I was playing a P90 Jr. Guitar. Great tone but wanted more chime so got a Frontman 25 R for cheap.

7. beninma

beninma Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2017
    I practice on a 35RT once or twice a week where I take lessons and I have a Rocker 15 at home... The 35RT really seems amazing for what it costs. I think for people who don't like the cleans you may want to be scooping the mids completely out. I've been trying to find diagrams of the Orange tone stacks to try and verify this. Apparently vintage Oranges had Baxandall tone stacks but modern ones have the same kind of stack as Fender/Marshall/Vox, just a question of what values are in the circuit to determine what is going on.

AFAICT that is a large part of the difference between a Fender clean and an Orange clean. (And I kind of think for a Telecaster clean sound we are pretty much totally programmed to expect the Fender amp clean tones.)

Yah the gain ranges on many of their amps are amazing. My Rocker 15 can actually be set up totally clean with my Tele even on the dirty channel, and then on the other end it can be driven to pretty insane gain levels for metal level stuff. Dirt sounds are never hard for me to get happy with on any of their amps, it is usually getting the clean I want.

I had a Crush 12 or 10 or whatever the 6" one is, it's relatively terrible compared to the bigger crush amps, it works and sounds nothing like the bigger ones. I wouldn't want to buy any Orange SS amp that doesn't have a dedicated clean/dirt channel, I think that is really only the Micro Crush and Crush 10/12 though so you're good as soon as you get to the 20 and up.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.