Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NAD: Orange 'Crush' Practice Amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Larmo63, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Larmo63

Larmo63 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 1, 2018
    Timbuktu, Earth
    I bought an Orange "Crush" 35W practice amp off of Craigslist today, from a lady who bought it for her son and he turned it on twice. It came with manuals, foot switch, and in literally brand new condition. VERY cheap price.

Wow, this amplifier's sound is exactly how I've been trying to make my tweed blues Jr. and Deluxe Reverb RI sound like for years with pedals. I know it's a solid state and lower line amp in their line-up, but what a great little toy! It has onboard digital effects, combinations of effects, killer distortion, sweet clean tone, and even a built in tuner.

I feel like the Fenders are going to be lonely and sad for a few weeks now. I'm really, really impressed!

jimash, RodeoTex and Jakedog like this.

2. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

Feb 16, 2016
    TX
    I have been wondering about those amps. My main and now only amp is a DRRI that I love but I would like an inexpensive backup. I play only for myself at home and prefer a clean sound.

3. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Tele-Afflicted

May 3, 2016
    In the South
    I'm not a fan of Orange amps clean myself, they always still seem a bit 'crunchy' to my ears.

But that's just me. :)

4. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

Feb 16, 2016
    TX
    No, it's not just you, I have heard many others say the same. That is my concern too. I have never had an Orange amp. Maybe I should just get a cheap one and sell if if it doesn't work out.

5. marc2211

marc2211 TDPRI Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Switzerland/France
    I have an orange crush 12(? smallest) I use as a practice amp - it’s great for what it is! You don’t buy one for clean, but for classic rock etc it gets really close... if I’m honest I use it more than my Vox tube amp...

The crush range is a hidden gem!

jimash likes this.

6. Torz Johnson

Torz Johnson Tele-Afflicted

Jun 9, 2003
    NY
    Next time you're in a store, demo a CR60C. Keep the channel volume down and raise the master volume - I'm loving the clean tones out of it.

asnarski, bullfrogblues and Jakedog like this.

7. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

Feb 16, 2016
    TX
    I guess that settles it for me then.

8. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2016
    California
    Orange cleans to me are pretty fat and round. All my orange amps have pretty good cleans, so much so I got rid of my DRRI. Once I had reverb on my thunderverb, I didn't have any need for the DRRI.

9. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I had the Orange Crush 20 RT for a short time - a very short time. I wanted to use it mostly as a pedal platform but didn't like it's basic clean tone enough. It's high gain sound is pretty incredible, but I'm not a high gain player pretty much ever, so it's charms were lost on me. I also thought the reverb was awful - may as well not have had one, so if I'd decided to get one to keep, it would have been the non-RT version.

The OP talks about built in digital effects, but the one I was using didn't have anything but gain and reverb. Is there another line of Orange Crush amps I'm not aware of? The Orange Crush I was looking at had the little 12, the 20 and 20RT, and the 35 and 35RT.

-Ray

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018

10. Larmo63

Larmo63 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 1, 2018
    Timbuktu, Earth
    I gave her a hundred bucks for it, and, she was actually kind of hot. She has his MIM mint sunburst Tele too. I offered her $200 for it.

As for the clean channel, it's not Fender clean, but nothing really is when you boil it down. I'm in no hurry to sell my DRRI.

It's a really fun little box for sure.

RyCo1983 likes this.

11. Larmo63

Larmo63 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 1, 2018
    Timbuktu, Earth
    I think I can run the 1/4" "line level signal" out of the Orange and through my Fender just like a pedal, right?

The Fender has to be switched on, I won't damage anything, right?

12. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2016
    California
    I actually just tried out the crush 60, I mostly use bigger tube orange amps and never tried the crush series myself. A local band uses the 120 and sounds fantastic in a band setting. I was super impressed. The great thing about having an orange combo, and orange head and cab is I doubt anyone will notice a new orange combo in the house. Hmmm.

13. Guitandanza

Guitandanza Tele-Meister

May 31, 2015
    Connecticut
    I own several fine tube amps, so I know what I want. I’ve owned one of these since 2016. Great cleans. Great effects loop. Nice digital reverb. Loud. Takes pedals well like any clean amp. I never use the dirt side, as I have pedals that do it better. Congrats. I also prefer this to the BJr.

14. n__B

n__B TDPRI Member

Mar 4, 2017
    Valley Forge
    I had the CR20RT (Reverb, Tuner) for a few days and returned it for the same reasons. The clean just didn't sound great to my ears and the "dirty" channel was a one trick pony. I ended up finding a super cheap Crate Vintage Club 20 that I'm super happy with.

The OP likely has one of the CR20L or CR20LDX series which have effect settings:

https://orangeamps.com/products/guitar-amp-combos/crush-pix-series/crush-pix-cr20ldx/

raysachs likes this.

15. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    Must be it - I'd never heard of that line with the effects...

Thanks.

16. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    I looked at the 35RT on-line and it looks fantastic - but I was really looking for a "head" rather than a combo. I looked at one in the flesh yesterday and I'd have one in a heartbeat if I was looking for a practice combo.

However, I ended up doing a test between a CR120 head and a Blackstar HT Club 50 MkII - both of which are more powerful than I need. I ended up going with the Blackstar purely on the basis that I preferred its "clean". I certainly don't dislike the Orange "clean" on the 35RT or the CR120 at all - but it is a little different and, at the end of the day, it's all personal choice.

You have a GREAT piece of kit there, IMO, and I'm sure you'll love it.

17. DOC DYA

DOC DYA Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2012
    Luçon _ France
    I never tried the Crush 35, but I have a Crush 35 RT I use for practice and gigs (bars mostly) and since I play in a jazz band, I need a clean sound most of the time. The cleans are amazing, with enough bass mids and highs to cut through the mix. I sometimes play a Rockerverb 50 head with a 4 x 12' and the cleans are even better. When I need some crunch or even distortion, it's the great Orange sound ! So now I use this amp more than my Blues Jr...

18. t-luxe

t-luxe Tele-Afflicted

Nov 23, 2009
    so. cal
    The OP likely has the older Crush DLX series(now discontinued, I believe). I like the newer RT's sound better, IMO. Just strait-ahead analog SS, except for the Reverb. I have a 35RT-great little amp.

19. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Afflicted

Sep 11, 2016
    L.A.
    I have an Orange Crush 10 that my brother gave me. Nice little practice amp. It was my couch amp before I got a Blackstar Fly3. Now it's my bench amp for doing set ups and stuff.

20. Larmo63

Larmo63 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 1, 2018
    Timbuktu, Earth
    Oh, sorry, I didn't say which Orange Crush I bought. It's a 35LDX. They discontinued them, it must be about three years old? hrEFcY5xQtK66+oiUSWJZQ.jpg yNq2F32sQ8SBGUD+ADFl9w.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.