Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NAD, NGD, NGD serious steal

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by grim83, Sep 4, 2017.

1. grim83

grim83 Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2014
    alabamy
    So the wife and I just moved to a new town, and we found a store that we had never heard of, Second and Charles. Apparently it is a used book, movie, music, video game, and guitar store. Anywho while the wife was perusing the books I made my way to the guitars and found little of interest and most was over priced. Disappointed I looked down at the floor and found 3 brand new epiphone 1939 electar century amps. I remember when they announced these but never got to try one, and there were no prices marked on the amps. So I asked a salesperson and was informed they were a combo deal with one of the girls which made absolutely no sense. So I asked another and was told these were free with any electric guitar... It took me all of 5 seconds to find the cheapest guitar on the wall and run to the register. The guitar is one of those cheap ibanez gio super strats and it had a copy of Rocksmith 2014 (PS4 edition) for the princely sum of $50. By my estimation I scored $5-600 dollars worth of gear for $50 + tax. Now this is what I call a steal of a deal lol. [​IMG]

gtrplr, tbb007, ftbtx and 5 others like this.

2. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    Thats a great score!
    There is something about those amps in threes?
    twice in 2 years different people on the local craigs list have had three new in box amps for reasonable price
    I guess when they discontinued that model they wholesaled off a bunch. It makes me wonder if they were factory returns?

boredguy6060 likes this.

3. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Gee and I was all excited about the guy who threw in a Marshall G series 50watt combo with my $65 Flying V clone.. Great score; I might have pursued the "girl" thing a bit more..

MRey and jimytheassassin like this.

4. CK Dexter Haven

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Perhaps one in three worked..?

5. grim83

grim83 Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2014
    alabamy
    There was no box I'm assuming it was just a floor model type deal but who knows. It all seems to work flawlessly. The amp is cool and the wife digs the look so much I am required to leave it in the living room (unless I feel the need to crank it up lol). It is ungodly bright even on the dark channel, maybe a cannabis rex swap or something would help tame it. Also it doesn't seem to want to overdrive much even at full blast (I have to pretend I'm spinal tap with every new amp just once)
    Shoot that is a great score as well, I'd have rather had a flying v I just grabbed the cheapest thing on the wall to get the amp lol. If I'd have had my way I'd have the kids size gio that was neon pink but they wanted $130 for it.

6. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    One of their stores somewhat near me had 3 of those amps last time I stopped with no price tag. Guess I'm making a call tomorrow.

CK Dexter Haven likes this.

7. CK Dexter Haven

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    If it's not a hummer you are in good shape; apparently the big complaint with the was the noise floor, the speaker might loosen up a bit after you play it a while, and gain some darkness, you could also try a cheep cord, to knock off some of the highs.

Ah the V..its a "DAVISON" which was the house brand for some second tier mail order firm a few years back. They sold a decent set neck LP clone & some other things, I'm sure they were made by Samick or some one similar The V is a bolt but not bad fit and finish, the PU's are a bit bright, but sound OK for the stuff I play, they work well with a OD pedal, sound pretty harsh w/ a distortion.
    It was advertised as "Guitar" $65", so I look as it was in the next town over (about 10 miles) There is a blurry cell phone shot of a V with a cord in the jack on a unmade bed (literally) So I shoot off a text, inabout 10 min a I get a reply " I can meet you tomorrow at six " Ok..! we decide on a location & this older gent rolls in in a Lexus and pops the trunk, starts wrestling out the V and the Marshall all plugged in.

"Uh let me help you.."
    I unplug it
    "Oh can you do that..? I had no idea, my grand son left it at the house."
    "Umm how much for the amp..?"
    " Oh its part of the guitar right? "
    "Uh no not really.."
    "Oh well 65 for everything will be fine.."
    "OK then"
    Decent amp, sounds "Marshally" in a basic way, surprisingly nice clean channel & good 'verb not to much of a lift.

8. grim83

grim83 Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2014
    alabamy
    Noooo it's my secret....lol. I'm tempted to go back on payday and buy two more guitars for the amps so I can sell it all and make a profit lol.
    It has some hum if you leave the boost on and turn the tone up. I'm hoping the speaker breaks in and mellows out if not I don't mind swapping speakers, wish I'd have kept the 63 Jensen c12r I had.

Lol at the story, I remember seeing those Davison LPS on ebay dirt cheap, I'm a sucker for a cheap guitar but never did bite on one.

I didn't even mess with the gio before buying but I'm having way too much fun with it now that I've slammed the pickups down as far as they will go. Tempted to grab a cheap set of paf ish humbuckers and rewire it.... would be fun to show up to a blues jam with this rig.

9. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    Don't worry. I'm about 1000 miles away from you.

10. CK Dexter Haven

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Looks like 2nd & C is a new project of Books a Million, which is re branding some of their locations, there a a few within day trip distance of me but it appears only the most southern locations have guitars.

bparnell57 likes this.

11. CK Dexter Haven

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Ah down the slippery slope...

12. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    Hey, I was just near Brandywine last week.

bparnell57 likes this.

13. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    That's awesome.

I think those amps might still be current, they're still on Epiphone's site and I saw one on some dealer's site a few days ago. I'm not sure Epiphone updates their site that often by the look of some of the models though.

The Ibanez GIOs are pretty good, played a couple. That guitar alone should be worth over 100$.

14. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

I was also going to say that those Gios are surprisingly good. Put some alnico pickups in there and it gets even better, but the stock aren't that bad at all. Good action, good overall guitar, IMO.

15. grim83

grim83 Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2014
    alabamy
    I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised by the gio. I have an older rg 3 something that I'm in trying to get rid of, but I like the gio quite a bit more. I told the wife I'd sell it the gio to recoup the outlay but I think I may have to keep it. A cheap set of pafish humbuckers and some new wiring would make it interesting.

bparnell57 likes this.

16. JCW1024

JCW1024 Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2010
    Richmond, Virginia
    Nice score. A 2nd & Charles opened near where I live last year--all the guitars there are lower-end and overpriced as well. I look every time I go in there, and it doesn't look like they have even sold any since they opened close to a year ago (doesn't help that they are one shopping center down from GC and Sam Ash). They have had one of those same Epiphone amps since they opened, but for over $300.

17. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Hopefully it was limit 1 per customer.

Because I'd hate to hear of someone passing up three of those amps for $150...o_O

18. grim83

grim83 Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2014
    alabamy
    I'm really tempted to go back after pay day and try to get the others....even if I have to wear a few disguises lol

bparnell57 likes this.

19. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    2nd and charles by me is overpriced and gives you next to nothing on trades-a cool place to wander around but I have not bought anything there

20. grim83

grim83 Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2014
    alabamy
    Most of what they had was over priced. The only other one I noticed was an epiphone special II for like $90. Most of the rest was almost new prices

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.