NAD: Marshall Origin 20C

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Axis29, Oct 2, 2018.

1. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

What is who8. Who8 .Who91!

2. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Huh?

3. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

Look at your pic #5. Now, just read it as shown. Kinda funny. The reply needed a....:)

tce63 likes this.
  4. Axis29

Oh! LOL .

That is funny.

tarheelbob and tce63 like this.
  5. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Yum. That's the only thing I don;t get about the Origin 20- that Grille with Valance (I think that's the word) above is such a classy look- why didn't they use it?

tce63 likes this.
  6. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

I need to stop looking at these. They have a ton of bang for the buck.

tce63 and bftfender like this.
  7. North East Al

North East Al Tele-Meister

Hi. Was that a straight drop in for the control panel, or did you need to be handy at woodwork?. Might consider getting an empty cab in the future instead of trying to squeeze a 12" into the Origin20.

Flakey and tce63 like this.
  8. Axis29

I haven't done any silent recording or headphone playing. But, I have used the DI at s couple of gigs. The first was an outdoor party, I ended up playing on the 3 watt setting, and filling out the sound with the PA. it was perfect and I got a bunch of compliments from the audience on the tone... By guitar players I didn't know. Then, I used it a few times in one of the bars I was playing in a lot... again, worked perfectly. Kept stage volume down, but filled out the FOH [perfectly.

I was actually shocked at how good the sound was.

Shuster, bftfender and tce63 like this.
  9. tce63

tce63 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I have did the same, many times, the Origin is a great amp.

Axis29 likes this.
  10. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Meister

Wow, someone must have it wrong...
    http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/marshall-origin-review.503632/#post-3474602

11. Axis29

Wrong? No, that's their opinion and they are more than welcome to it (even if it is not exactly correct! LOL). I am less than concerned with the mixed reviews. I know how good it sounds to me and how much I love mine.

I haven't read the whole thread, but the few I did... Well, let's just say I am less of a DSL fan than they are. I actually don't care for the DSL amps that much. To me, they sound too modern. That's for my playing. I do like an older sound, a more JTM45 sound. This is what the Origin does really, really well. DSLs are great amps, they can probably get close to the sound of the Origin and probably do a lot of stuff the Origin cannot. But, I don't really go for those things.

The Origin is a different amp, with a different focus. It sounds older, more JTM45-ish/early Plexi. Not the hot rodded Plexi, 70's sound. Or, the more 80's sound of the DSLs.

I won't say the Origin is the greatest amp of all time. But, it's a great little grab and go, or small bar gigging amp. It's a great home practice amp, too. It has a lot of features and great tone in a very affordable package. I'm still super happy with mine. It truly fits my sound.

Treynor likes this.
  12. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

DSL can have a plexi mod. The green channel becomes very old school. Speaking of jtm45. Have the jtm45-jtm50(SS & tube rec switch)-jmp50 circuits. Amazing a/b ing them and seeing how the gain progresses through the years. The jtm45 circuit is so fun the the jtm50 is that circuit with el34..the nastiest in a good way amp..then jmp50.thump & rock city.If i had to do it all over. Would of started with jtm50 way back when. The Origin..i bet the tones of my amps are in it. A Bogner LaGrange with all the nuance tone tweaks would get it close.

13. BigDaddy23

BigDaddy23 Tele-Meister

+1 on the awesome versatility of this amp. One of the guitarists in my band recently got one of these and it sounds fantastic - full and wide is how I would describe it. We do the same as what Axis29 has listed above with PA support to keep the stage volume down. I’m really digging 15-20ish watt amps at the moment......great in the context of our gigs.

That aside, has anyone got a schematic for one of these? I can’t seem to find one :confused:. I’m interested in how the power scaling is achieved and how it could apply to my builds. I’d prefer not to pull the chassis just to have a look!!

14. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Meister

Yup. I don't believe anyone that rants and raves about how good or bad something is.

Maybe a more analytical, less emotional analysis is more helpful.

bftfender likes this.
  15. bftfender

most that bash usually dont know how to run a Marshall. And the DSL has one of the best Marshall sounds on green channel. You can use it old school & actually use the guitar vol & tone knobs. DSL mods so easy and is a very good amp.

tce63 likes this.
  16. Axis29

Oh, well then you can discount about 90% of the crap I talk about! LOL

I do find it interesting... In the Fender fan pit, we have Tweed vs. Blackface... In the Marshall camp, we have pre-Plexi and post-Plexi. :lol:

Seriously, I really find interesting the differences in the way people will discuss things like amps. Many times, they don't ever ask what kinda music you play, or what kind of tone you are interested in producing. For the music I make, the Origin sounds perfect. It fits just right. But, a DSL is just a touch off... But, I know the DSLs are popular. A Fender example is the Hot Rod series amps.... I just don't get along with them. There is a certain upper mid frequency that gives me ear fatigue. And yet, thousands upon thousands are sold and used in bars every night of the year!

My Momma always said, it's why they make chocolate AND vanilla....

Treynor, bftfender and tce63 like this.
  17. bftfender

am very lucky..have jtm45-jtm50-jmp50 ptp circuits & a great amp builder/tech friend to tweak as needed and every day i get to play em & compare. The tonal & gain progression in the lineage is so cool. I also have modern marshall's & those first 3..into proper greenback 4x12..your guitar can speak for you..the nuances in tone manipulation in those simple early circuits..when you switch to a modern one..you are looking for note bloom..character & it isnt there as naturally..you can get there..but not in the sense ..pickups really shine in those early circuits..just changing guitars is like making a new amp

tce63 likes this.
  18. Axis29

Several of my other amps are big tweeds, a Bassman (pre-JTM45) and a high power Twin (pre JTM45-100? LOL)... That is my sound. This is probably why the Origin suits me so well. It is all about touch response, pick dynamics, and a certain mid warmth.

bftfender and tce63 like this.
  19. bftfender

i def understand that..touch response..once you experience that..new ballgame. I am coming down after years of hard rock -slight metal & am experiencing right between that bassman sound to just bumped jtms45ish mids but into the jtm50 el34..mine has SS & tube rec switch..got the range that works for me..guitar vol on about 7 for edge of breakup- 5ish for chords & dime for leads..i get lost for hours playing

Axis29 likes this.
  20. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Hi, been gone for a bit. The top panel is a straight drop in. The back panel where the amp attaches needed new holes drilled to accept where the amp bolts on. And the back panel needed to be 1/2” longer to cover over the amp.

North East Al likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.