Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NAD: Marshall Origin 20C

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Axis29, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Holy crap! Gigged this little smoker last night for the first time. It. Will. Not. Be. The. Last.

Ran it on 20 watts most of the night, for the headroom. It kept up with the drummer for most of the night.... Just not always clean. That's okay, it sounded great all night! I played with the 3 watt setting some too and really enjoyed that as well. 1/2 watt on stage? Fuggetabouddit! I meant to try the direct out, but forgot until we were already playing and never slowed down long enough to go dig out another cord.

So touch sensitive... And so fat, warm, articulate. But, also on the verge of exploding at any minute, in a really, really fun way. I really enjoyed working this amp from my guitar. Clean, it sounds like a nice, warm, fat tweed Fender. Which is good, because that's what I normally play! LOL . But, it also feels like it's about to run away from you at any minute. It feels like there's some Rock and Roll that just wants to pop out of the amp at any second!

I am a Blues guy, I play West Coast stuff, a lot of Chicago stuff and some Texas style stuff... I am a lower gain guy most of the time. Last night I was pushing the limits. LOL. I was rocking it up quite a bit, and having a lot of fun with it!

Last night was actually the first time I've plugged pedals into my amp. For the most part, I didn't need them. But, I am a little bit of a reverb junky. I like a little drip, and my C-bread Topanga is a fixture. So, it was on most of the night. I stomped on one of my newest loves, the Love Pedal Super Sic Tone.... and it was super sick! Ran the Clyde Deluxe Wah a bunch, the Drybell Vibe Machine and the Alexander Equilibrium from time to time as well. But, really, probably coulda done the whole night without any pedals and been perfectly happy. The pedals were there just for some fun.

I ran the amp with the treble dialed back just a hair, but most controls near the middle. After the initial fire up and treble tuning, I didn't really touch the amp much the rest of the night. I fiddled with the Tilt once or twice, the Gain a few times and the Master Volume. I forgot to break out the foot pedal and never hit the Boost, but it woulda been fun in a few places. It was a jam, so there were varying lineups. A couple of guys played through the Origin and everyone was really happy with it.

Like I said, clean it sounds like a warm, fat tweed Fender. It sounds a lot bigger than it is. Breaking up, it sounds like all those classic late sixties, early seventies tones I grew up on. Very JTM-ish, but pushing into that Plexi grind. I described it as a stinging like a bee, not buzzy, but grind and crunch that cuts through nicely. We played everything from Kenny Burrell to ZZ Top last night and this amp pulled it off! Running warm, overdriven rhythm stuff was a lot of fun as well, got that big, soft compression thing going that sat so sweetly in the mix.

Never thought I'd be a Marshall guy. But, I love this little bastard!

2. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

May 6, 2012
    England
    Good to hear OP, this one is on my list ...

Axis29 likes this.

3. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Tele-Holic

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    The Origins are very tempting for the money. I haven't heard a bad review yet other than some recommending the 50 watt over the 20 or the 20 over the 5.
    I'd like to get one but funds wont allow it and I already have a Ceriatone 50w plexi clone with master volume mod and effects loop. The Origin 20 and 50w combos are so enticing though.
    I'd want to demo them against a 50w jmp combo to see how they compare.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    Axis29 likes this.

4. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Aug 30, 2014
    Asheville
    That's it....I'm getting one.

- Bob

Chunkocaster and Axis29 like this.

5. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I'm thinking about the 20 watt head. Good to hear your review.

Axis29 likes this.

6. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Missoula, Montana
    I'm with you, bud -- great little amp, and surprisingly giggable. I dropped a Greenback 10 into my Gibson GA-15 after the previous speaker drowned, and was really surprised at the amount of low end it had -- so much so that I ordered another to drop into the Origin 20c. A little low-end thump is all this thing lacks. I'm worried about efficiency (the greenback is rated by celestion at 95 dB, and there's no rating I can find on the v-type) but I will report when the thing gets here.

Axis29 likes this.

7. Axis29

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    The funny thing is, I honestly think this amp has a lot of thump, and warmth, even with the V-Type. (no, the bass is not as clear and authoritative as my tweed Twin's, but what does?)

I ran a little experiment before heading off to the gig yesterday. I have built a small extension cabinet to hold a 12" speaker for my harmonica player, it's about 14 by 14 by 10. I popped a Creamback 65 in it and ran a cord to the 20C. It was bit more honky and I felt like some of the warmth disappeared. I was surprised, because so many folks rave about thew 65 with the Origins. I hooked the V-Type back up and decided that the V-Type is actually an excellent speaker.

I had plenty of bass, lots of warmth and the Treble was still around Noon. I still don't understand how folks say they are thin or bright sounding? Even at home, I find the amp nice and warm...

I mean, sure the .5 watt setting gets thin when you crank down on the gain and master volume. But, I honestly believe that has more to do with speaker movement. The 3 and 20 watt settings have lots of bass to spare. But, what the heck do I know? LOL

8. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    Same here. A ‘79 JMP 50w is now my main gigging amp and my old boogie rig stays in studio at home now - too heavy.

I love the JMPs fiery range and touch sensitivity but something younger with an fx loop and a little more bass end, could be really nice, esp. if it weighted a little less. The origins stopped me looking at the vintage modern combos.

I’d like to see/hear the demo of all three JMP, Vintage Modern, Origin.

Chunkocaster and Axis29 like this.

9. Axis29

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    The Vintage Moderns were on my radar for a long time... But, they were just not financially feasible, especially without being able to test drive one anywhere near me.

10. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    I see a lot of VMs around cheap these days. Might have to try one. I am in the market for a beefy simple Marshall with a loop

Axis29 likes this.

11. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    mojo always in the Marshall when you play it loud.glad to see you open it up and find that "exploding" tone...yep..that's Marshall..enjoy...firing DSL up in about an hour for practice..cant wait..

Axis29 likes this.

12. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Congrats Axis,

I need to try an Marshall Origin soon. They sure are good looking amps and all of the videos that I’ve watched so far sounded great.

Welcome to the Marshall club.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    Axis29 likes this.

13. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Fantastic! Thanks for your great review and all the comments. I don't have a Marshall and don't plan to have one anytime soon, but reviews like yours could change that. Congratulations!

Axis29 likes this.

14. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    I was REALLY excited about it when it was announced. Then the first time I plugged into it, I HATED it. The second time I plugged in, I thought it was OK, the third time it was pretty ok... I’d like to spend more time with one.

15. Axis29

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    I am still stumped about how it sounded so very different in Sam Ash and Guitar Center.

Had I only had that weird experience at GC, I doubt I would have been interested in this amp. The weird thing is, Sam Ash, where I tried the 50C the first time, is only 100 feet away! If SA had had the 20C, that's where I woulda bought it. The playing and listening experience was so very different between the two rooms. I've used it in my big practice space, in my living room and on stage. It's sounded great in all three places.

It IS a VERY different amp than I am used to... Although, I can hear and feel the DNA of the tweed amps I play all the time. I am used to big iron 6l6 amps. I've been playing a '63 Vibroverb Ri, a '59 Bassman Ri and a '58 Twin for a number of years now.... (with a few Silverface Fenders sprinkled in). They tend to be a lot cleaner and a bit more under control. The Marshall feels like it's about to let loose any second. Neither is better than the other. To me they are two tools for different purposes. But, both work really well for me.

One of my good buds is a Jazz guy... on a bunch of CDs, teaches at the local university, and at a music store, gigs all over town and up into DC all the time. His most recent amp has been a Fuchs ODS 50. He was at the jam Tuesday. We'd done a number of songs together and he was complimentary of the new little box. As we began breaking down, I told him to play through it and try it out.... 30 minutes later, the rest of the stage clear, he's still playing through it. He looks at me in amazement and when I told him the price of $650, he was blown away. He had been playing some really tasty, smooth jazzy stuff, some Bebop, Some Led Zeppelin.... It's always fun to listen to him, but it was enjoyable watching him, knowing he was really enjoying the experience as well. I doubt he will run out and replace his much beloved Fuchs, but I think it gave him pause as an amp to recommend to some of his young students.

The Origins don't get that Blackface clean, it is a much more saturated, thick tone. It's kinda like my Tweeds, where there is always a little compression and overdrive going on. So, basically like a lotta fun! LOL

tce63, tarheelbob and Chunkocaster like this.

16. tce63

tce63 Tele-Holic

Jan 18, 2013
    Sweden
    Congrats to a great amp :)

I have the Origin 20c and love it.

In the picture i have it hooked up to a Blackstar Cab with 12 " Creamback in it, sounds great.

When out playing i in big places I use the lineout to the PA, in small places i use the internal speaker that i changed to 10" Greenback.

I think the Greenback sound much better then the original V-speaker, but thats me.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 5:51 PM
    Axis29 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.