Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NAD: Marshall Origin 20C

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Axis29, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Went to the dark side!

Well, not really. It's actually pretty bright! LOL

Been playing Fenders most of my playing life. It's been brownface and tweeds the last ten years or so, with some forays into some silver and blackface. But, this is my first Marshall.

I tired the 50C last week at Sam Ash and really, really liked it. But, I was also looking for a low volume solution. They didn't have the 20 at the time to test. This week I hit the GC right next door with some interesting results.

Yesterday, in GC, the amp was really vowelly. The mids had a funny quack and it sounded kinda boxy. When I went back and forth between a the 20 and the 50, they both had it a bit. I found I really preferred the mids almost off and the treble anywhere off of max. This was not what I heard at Sam Ash last week... I kinda put it down to different rooms and maybe even less broken in speakers. I recognized enough of the tone to know it was very different than my tweeds. I also wanted something different... So, I was willing to give it a test run or two. The 30 day return policy doesn’t hurt.

Back and forth, the 20 and 50 weren't that different. There is a bit more volume, of course, from the 50 at all settings. The lowest 5 watt setting on the 50, sounds better, overall, than the 20's .5 watt... But, waddya expect? If this was gonna be my regular gigging amp, the 50 woulda been the way I went. But, I'm hoping this is gonna be my new grab and go amp... Maybe for a little practice time at home too.

So, first thing I did this morning was bring the little bugger down to my practice room. It's a big room with a bit of natural reverb. Lotta amps sound pretty good there. The weird boxy thing is only present at extreme mid maxing with the Treble up high as well. Anything from about 8.5 and down on the Middle and it’s not there... Which is a good thing.

I’ve been thrashing it pretty hard, trying all kinds of settings for about an hour or so. I’ve run my DC Special and Tele through it. No pedals yet. Gonna pull out the pedalboard shortly.

This little bastard is actually a great little amp!

The biggest difference between the different wattage settings on the ‘power stem’ is lower mid presence and how the Master(?) Volume behaves. At the lower wattage settings, the tone gets really thin at lower MV/Gain settings.

Of course I like it best on 20 watts. It’s fat, big and raucous. But, it has to be cranked pretty loud to get full on Plexi kinda gain. It sounds like lotsa fun, though! Turned down, it cleans up nicely. Roll the guitar back a hair and it really works for my normal playing style. Be interesting to see how it hangs with the band.

The 3 watt setting is still pretty loud. Again, biggest difference is lower mids. Still has plenty of bass. Higher gain (for me) is more easily reached, but it’s still ear ringing. Turn it down and it’s still nice and hairy, great fat cleans still.

.5 watt is where the real difference show up. It thins out with the Master Volume below 3, maybe 3 1/2. But, it’s still very useable above that.

As the wattage goes down, I like the Tilt rolled CCW towards the ‘Normal Input’ side. It’s warmer, darker, etc. I also prefer this setting for my Tele in any wattage setting. I also roll the presence off more at the same time.

.5 watt is good enough for quiet practice in this room. Gonna check the living room later to see about close quarters.

The Gain and Volume are very interactive. Supposedly the Volume is controlling the PI, Gain is preamp. Tilt goes from the darker normal input sound to the bright High input sound... with all kindsa stuff in betwixt. The EQ controls are kinda subtle... But, I’m used to that with my big tweeds. The Presence is supposedly also controlling the power side of things and has a hair more sweep/control than my big tweeds.

I think they say it’s 31 lbs. not a featherweight amp, but very manageable. The cabinet is a touch bigger than my 5e3.

It is not a heavy metal amp. Not by any stretch of the imagination. But, it gets the old Bluesbreaker kinda tone pretty easily. Can’t wait to run my LP Custom’s humbuckers through it!

It’s very, very quiet at idle! Silent.

I honestly think it’s a real keeper!

My only ***** so far is that the supplied cord is kinda short. But, it’s an EIC cord, so, I’ll just order a longer one from Amazon.

Oh, I have one other *****... the Manual is almost non-existant (and GC didn’t give me one, I had to download the PDF).

Wait, one more *****... I think I got one of the ones with the bad speaker out jack issue. It says 16 Ω, 8 Ω and 8 Ω.... Not that I even have an external can to use right now, so, it’s a kinda moot point. But, eventually, I may want that fixed.

*I had read online, in ONE post that you can record silently. It has a Line Out with speaker emulation. But, I need verification from Marshall before I go trying that little bit out. But, the Line Out means I can definitely run it with the band, through the PA. We’ll see how it works next Tuesday.

I traded a Strat I haven't played much and got 10% off on the full retail value, which meant 300 bucks outta pocket. I can live with that!

I want to beat it up for a while. Might sneak it up to the Open Mic tomorrow night to see how it hangs...

Anyways, love my new Marshall.

2. Cazualwhiteguy

Cazualwhiteguy Tele-Meister

Feb 21, 2017
    Minneapolis, MN
    Not sure what you mean with the speaker output jacks, most Marshall’s have a 16ohm jack for a single cab or 2 8 ohm jacks to run a pair of cabs.

3. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2015
    Calgary, AB

4. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    These have an issue where Marshall sent the wrong schematic to their Vietnam plant and if you plug two extension cabs in simultaneously, the second one muted the first. It’s a relatively easy fix, but any that have been fixed will typically have a different sticker put over the the original.

I haven’t heard of any coming correct from the factory at this point. So far as I know, everything is still batch 1 with these and while Marshall is aware of the problem and it will be fixed in the future (it was simply an incorrect spec’d Part in the schematic) they haven’t actually built a second round yet, so far as anybody can tell. Marshall has been paying for people to return them for the fix. I didn’t really care because mine is a combo and I’m never going to run two extension cabinets out of it. But if I had one of the 50W heads I’d definitely send it in.

Axis29 likes this.

5. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    Glad you’re digging it op.

How, after a couple months of fidgeting, I’ve come to set mine is:

1) Grab the darkest/warmest guitar I’m going to use that night. Max the MV, set volume first with the stem and then fine tune with the gain control

2) turn the presence, treble and mids all the way down and the tilt control all the way to the bright side

3) turn the treble up until I’m getting the cut through I want

4) turn the presence up until I’m getting the definition I want

5) turn the mids up to full things out.

6) like any Marshall you kind of have to ride the bass depending on how much gain you’re using. More gain -> turn down the bass.

7) when you switch guitars, compensate by rolling off on the tilt, and adjusting the gain.

I find this process

1) gives the least harsh natural overdrive. For some reason the overdrive is much harsher if you have the treble and presence up, and the tilt down than the reverse. With the tilt pushed, you can dial in a good, clear clean tone, that doesn’t get harsh when you drive the amp. If you use the tilt low, get a good clean tone, and then drive the amp, it can get really tizzy/metallic.

2) using the tilt control to adjust for guitars tonality is much easier than fussing with the tone controls, which are all interactive and require lots of back and forth to get right.

3) using the gain to compensate for different pickup outputs allows the amp’s touch sensitivity to remain consistent.

Just my findings, ymmv. It’s of course the opposite of the traditional idea for setting up a plexi: all the controls on 10. As I usually end up having all the time controls pretty low, around 9 o clock, other than the tilt, which varies between noon and maxed depending on the guitar.

If I’m playing a strat and a 335, the tilt will be maxed on the 335 and around noon on the strat, for example.

Mutato and Axis29 like this.

6. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I'm still kind of interested in the head version of this amp with a 2 x 12" cab with low watt speakers. I'm waiting to hear how they hold up after a year or so. The specs seem perfect for what I want. I'm just a little worried about some of the QC issues people have had.

Axis29 likes this.

7. Axis29

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    One of the guys on another forum got one with 16Ω, 8Ω and 16Ω next to the jacks. and I swear it wasn't a sticker in the image I saw.

As for trying to get mine repaired, I will get it done, but I'm getting ready to move across the country. Don't feel like chasing an amp through shipping land... Rather wait until I'm settled at the other end.

8. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I hate Marshall amps at home but love them live, in a mix.

I hate Marshal-in-a-box overdrives live, in a mix, but love them at home.

WTF is wrong with me?

Enjoy your new amp.

middy, Axis29 and Mike Eskimo like this.

9. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Speaker out emulation often doesn't sound very good on many amps. Maybe because the speaker typically has a big effect on the final tone, and the
    circuit used to try and emulate that sound just doesn't copy it very well. So you may find that you want to mic the amp instead of use the line out.
    Either way you need a cable to run from the amp to the P.A. so it's just a question as to whether the cable plugs into the back of the amp or plugs
    into a mic in front of the amp. I'm just speaking in general, not about this amp in particular, and YMMV, of course.

Axis29 likes this.

10. Cazualwhiteguy

Feb 21, 2017
    Minneapolis, MN
    Maybe I’m lost but not sure why there would be 16, 8, and 16. Primary output should be 16 and the other two SHOULD be 8 each to make 16 when running two cabs together.

11. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Thanks for the great review.

I think if I can grab a “buyer’s remorse” used one I’m gonna do it.

Then I’ll A/B it against my AC15 and let them fight it out.

Def don’t need two amps that similar in wattage .

12. Axis29

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    One of the names that just means Rock and Roll!

[​IMG]

And, the family portrait!

[​IMG]

Moving boxes and all!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ooooh, hologram.... Must mean it's expensive!

[​IMG]

One would think this is right... But, it seems it is not.

blowtorch, tce63, gridlock and 4 others like this.

13. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    16 ohm...8 ohm & both 8 ohms together for 4 ohm load....

14. Cazualwhiteguy

Feb 21, 2017
    Minneapolis, MN
    Jacks look just how they should.. 1x 16 and 2x 8. Still lost here...

15. Axis29

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    The jacks look correct, but they are mis-wired inside. When one plugs in two 8 Ω cabinets, one works and the other is silenced.

16. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta

17. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    ^^^^ Oh ! Very cool . I bet it’s like night and day after you did those mods.

18. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    Mostly it’s louder, lol. It put it volume wise at the perfect sweet spot where it’s 100% giggable anywhere in high mode, good for jams and rehearsal in mid mode and good for home practice in low mode.

Tone wise it definitely filled out the bottom end. And it projects better as well. Little bit smoother and the clean tone is a little more fender-y.

Axis29 likes this.

19. Axis29

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    I have a Creamback 65 that a lotta guys are mentioning liking with this amp. I am gonna crank on it stock for a while and probably try a few speaker using an external cabinet.

I like the tone I have now, but I have a feeling I can make it better.

I also have a pile of 12ax7 style tubes to do some rolling too...

20. Axis29

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    I sent off an email to Marshall yesterday asking about the speaker jack and how to use the DI (if I could use it for silent recording). Answer came this morning, first thing.

First, yes, my amp needs an update for the speaker jacks.

Second, I was told by Kevin, from Marshall, that the amp has a built in speaker load. All I have to do for silent recording is unplug the speaker before turning the amp on. That's pretty cool for a tube amp in this price range! Looking forward to messing with that too!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.