Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NAD! (Kind of...)

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by uglyrunner, Feb 12, 2018 at 9:39 PM.

1. uglyrunner

uglyrunner TDPRI Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Asheville, NC
    This is my first post, but this forum has answered many questions and entertained me greatly over the years. Well, today was a rollercoaster. Vanity got the best of me and I made a huge mistake. Here’s how it happened: I’m buying a ‘52 Hot Rod Telecaster this week, but I haven’t played one before. I wanted to go to Guitar Center and try out some really fat necks in preparation for the Hot Rod (I’m used to C shapes and slim tapers). I grabbed a used PRS, beefiest I could find, walked by a Smoke On The Water-er flailing through a small Orange combo, and there it was. A tweed Blues Deluxe Reissue. It was pretty. Ugh.

I’m in a loud garage rock/blues band and run a ‘59 Bassman and SuperSonic 22 in tandem. To me, it’s perfection. A wall of thick and ballsy tonal euphoria. The Bassman sits right at breakup and, to keep up, the SuperSonic is full on saturated, wrapping the punchy and gnashing tweed with its velvety embrace. MmmMmmm... I hadn’t even considered changing things up. That is, until I saw the Blues Deluxe. I think it looks fantastic. I see the price tag and think it looks fantastic. I thought it sitting next to my tweed Bassman on stage would look fantastic. This swirl of vanity crawled through my brain, over my tongue, and out of my mouth in the form of these words: “I have a SuperSonic in mint condition that I can trade for this. I’ll go home and grab it.” I didn’t even pay attention to the neck I came in to try out. I thought the amp sounded fine at its lowest level in Guitar Center, but I didn’t really get to crank it in the store, and the guy now playing Purple Haze was making it difficult to hear anything else. I could have taken the amp into an isolated room, but I’m lazy and stubborn, and positive that I don’t make bad decisions. This is my gut instinct, God Donut! It’s there for a reason! I listened to some YouTube reviews on my way to grab the SuperSonic, and thought it sounded good through my phone speakers (in case you haven’t already figured out how dumb I am). Fast forward to me sitting in my apartment an hour later, sweating with anxiety and frantically stumbling through the onboard EQ trying to get my jams back. There were no jams to be had. They were at Guitar Center being entered into an online “Used” database while the employees snickered at my idiocy. All for tweed? That’s not rock and roll! What had I done?!

First, the Blues Deluxe could not produce even a remotely useable tone for my drunken 3:00 a.m. writing sessions (I live in a studio apartment with my girlfriend). Way too loud. An unplugged guitar has better tone than what it gave me at manageable levels. That’s not the amps fault. It’s 40 watts. I get it. But! When I did crank it a bit, there was no character. No creaminess. No velvety embrace. I know the speaker needs to break in, but it was the floor model and I was told it had been there awhile. The tone was as dry as cardboard, and just as flimsy. The reverb, however, was incredible. Dripping wet. But then it was only just that. Wet, floppy cardboard. The SuperSonic was bright and well-rounded at ANY volume. It had an airy openness, almost like it was breathing. I was nauseous. I called Guitar Center and vomited an awkward bouquet of self-deprecating excuses for being so dumb (I mean, it really was a stupid decision. The SuperSonic is objectively a higher quality amplifier, but I wanted those tweed sisters, man. To be, like, cool, man). I told him I just wanted my SuperSonic back and to act like this never happened. Guitar-Center-Guy told me that he didn’t know if they could make that swap because it was already sold to them. I guess they wanted me to buy it back at their new price. Those 3 minutes on hold were longer than any Springsteen set. Luckily, I’ve gotten to know the manager over the years of me spending rent money on gear, and after speaking to him, he made it right and helped fix my mistake. I am now the happy owner of a Fender SuperSonic 22.

Technically it is New Amp Day, because I have a new respect for my SuperSonic. It feels new again, and I came home and played her for hours. She sings. Really is unbelievable, the difference in tone, I tell ya. Now I just need a tweed 2x12 extension cab, because, well... Vanity.

Here we are on our way home. Good thing you can’t hear me groveling for forgiveness and making promises to never let her go again in the picture...

IMG_1231.JPG

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 1:00 AM

2. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Tele-Afflicted

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX

3. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Damm, sounds like one of my many regrettable amp (swap) purchases. I sure have gotten rid of some really nice amps this year, that I wish that I could have back. Way too many. Live and learn and try some more new gear...

Congrats on your SS and welcome the the forum.

Very good people here.

Also nice to see a young guy into cool gear.

Grid

4. uglyrunner

uglyrunner TDPRI Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Asheville, NC
    Thanks :) Dodged a bullet. I think in a live setting with our debaucherous tunes, it would have been acceptable. But if I’m not inspired in my living room, I’ve got nothing to offer on a stage.

gridlock likes this.

5. cap47

cap47 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Jul 27, 2014
    bushnell, fl
    i HAVE A NICE 60 W Supersonic that is fine sounding! Great amps!

uglyrunner likes this.

6. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Not sure if it's a state-by-state thing, but I think you always have three days to reverse a contract. Maybe they just forgot to tell you...

jimash likes this.

7. VOXTOTHEMAX

VOXTOTHEMAX TDPRI Member

Jan 28, 2015
    California
    That story made my day!! And I had a really crappy day!!! Great ending.

uglyrunner likes this.

8. VOXTOTHEMAX

VOXTOTHEMAX TDPRI Member

Jan 28, 2015
    California
    Call me crazy but there has to be a song in there somewhere!!!

uglyrunner likes this.

9. uglyrunner

uglyrunner TDPRI Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Asheville, NC
    “She was 40, way too loud and quite annoying. I didn’t know what I should do. She had a pretty dress but that’s the best, nothing good about the rest, so I traded her in for a girl that’s 22” :)

cap47 and Guitarteach like this.

10. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    I have always liked the SuperSonics when I've played through them. A bit noisy, but really nice sounds for me.

Maybe I have a solution? Can you have someone put a tweed baffle in that amp, then cover it in new tweed wrap? Well, then again, that may make a mess of that nice looking amp. A new cabinet to put your head in could run into the hundreds - yeah, maybe just an expansion cab is your solution.

uglyrunner likes this.

11. uglyrunner

uglyrunner TDPRI Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Asheville, NC
    Good suggestion on the wrap. I’d have to really trust the artist that would attempt that. Definitely not myself. The whole “don’t know what you got til it’s gone” really puts aesthetics on the back burner now. Mine is a tad noisy at home, but in a live setting I haven’t noticed a bit (granted our style wouldn’t be opposed to amp hiss and all the noise we can get). It also has the notorious “pop” when switching channels, but that’s also only noticeable when playing at home at lower levels. The ability to drive an external speaker is a key feature in our basement studio as well. We pop a 1x12 cab in an isolation box, cover it with a thick old theatre curtain and crank it. Barely audible from the outside and we can go all night. My amp tech said he could fix the hiss, pop, and intermittent reverb “hum,” but I haven’t been bothered by it enough as of yet. Thanks for the suggestions! They don’t look bad together and the Tele should be here tomorrow :) IMG_0846.JPG

JustABluesGuy likes this.

12. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    It wasn't entirely clear in your story if that Supersonic is the exact one you traded in, or did the store manager let you return the BD for a new SS?

13. uglyrunner

uglyrunner TDPRI Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Asheville, NC
    My bad! Yeah it’s my old SuperSonic. Just swapped ‘em out. They actually have another used one at the same Guitar Center (Asheville, NC) if anyone is shopping for one. $750 I believe. Worth every penny.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.