NAD- Katana Mini!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by DougM, May 19, 2019.

1. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I went to my Fender dealer yesterday, and I saw that they had the Katana Mini, so I took a CV 60s Strat, plugged it in, and got instant Joe Walsh! This little thing sounds amazing, not for the size, not for the price, just plain amazing, with no qualifiers. It's the best practice amp I've ever owned of any size or cost. Unlike the Fly, it doesn't sound small, it sounds like a full sized amp. I can't believe the tone coming from this tiny plastic box that weighs about two pounds and has a tiny speaker. The clean channel set for low gain takes my overdrives pedals splendidly, they've never sounded better. Turn up the gain and it sounds like a cranked BF Fender. Switch to the crunch channel and with the gain at noon or below it's very similar to the clean channel dimed, with perhaps a bit more mids. Turn up the gain, and then it starts to growl more. I haven't even touched the tone controls, because it sounds perfect to me with them all at noon. The delay sounds just as good, with none of the digital artifacts that delay has with some modeling amps. Bear in mind though, it doesn't get very loud, even with the master all the way up, but that's fine with me, because that's what makes it perfect for me. It sounds perfect at the low levels that I play at to keep my tired ears, and my neighbors, happy. It's basically everything that the larger Kats are, just fuller sounding at lower volume. The Kat 50 had to be turned up to keep from sounding boxy, even on the .5 watt setting, and then it had a little edge to the highs that would make my ears start ringing after awhile. Not so here. The Mini also has the same great tube like feel and response as the larger Kats. The Boss design engineers should win the Nobel Prize for fun! Run do not walk, to your Boss dealer and pick up one of these before Roland realizes what they have and doubles the price, or (God Forbid), decides to "improve it", where the new version isn't as magic. boss-katana-mini-5.jpg boss_katana-mini-tranzystorowe-combo-gitarowe__3_p.jpg
    As Ren and Stimpy say "Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy!", and I haven't even tried the Brown channel yet.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  2. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Looks like a great deal on a battery powered portable guitar amp, except for one thing... no external speaker out.

I got one of Fender’s “Mustang Mini” amps (just before they were discontinued) to use in places where AC power was not available, but it too came without a external speaker jack, so I added one myself:

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/shout-out-for-the-mustang-mini.765261/

Now I can play just about anywhere... ummm... anywhere within reason of course...

AE6EF36D-04B1-4BC1-B81A-79248257BD45.jpeg

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  3. BlueCajun

BlueCajun Tele-Holic

I got one a month or two back for the sole purpose of having something portable for buying and selling guitars locally. But I ended up very pleasantly surprised. I really like how it sounds. Clean, crunch, and brown modes are all very usable. And the delay sounds really nice. I've tried almost every little battery powered amp and always felt unimpressed. Not the case with this one.

DougM likes this.
  4. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I’ve had one for about a year. Really a nice little amp. Bad buzzing using external power so it has to be grounded or used with the batteries. Lots of good sound though. I traded in an Orange Micro Terror and cab to get it and don’t regret it one bit. Hope you enjoy yours!

DougM likes this.
  5. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

The buzz goes away when yyou touch the screw on the back (had one a year or so myself). Couldn't you attach a wire and ground it to something?

6. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

How much “headroom “ do they have?
    I’d like to have something to carry on the river with me, but it’ll hafta be loud enough to overcome 10,000 HP screaming 12’ away through thin walls. At times you can’t hear a television over their constant roar.

7. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

It's not that loud, but it has a good sounding headphone out, better than a lot of small modeling and practice amps.

lineboat likes this.
  8. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

Thats really cool amp, i used to have it. I sold it, i regret it.

DougM likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.