Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NAD G-Dec Yard sale find

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by CK Dexter Haven, Jun 10, 2017.

1. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Found an first gen G-Dec 15 at a yard sale today, still had the cardboard "check this out" thingy on the top, and the strappy handle,they had managed to loose the manual though (found and downloaded on line)

I can remember going to see a Greg Koch demo at GC when these came out, though they were cool but not something I would use, playing mostly acoustic at the time, more recently they have maintained a relatively high secondhand price ( in the $100 range) more than I wanted to pay for something that is most likely "not repairable". Got this, and a couple of nice cords for $50, so I'm happy. fender-g-dec-1690376.jpg

xafinity, tele12 and Jim Dep like this.

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

3. esseff

esseff Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2014
    East Midlands, UK
    Good result! I've got three: two 15s like yours (one is for spares) and a first generation 30. The main problem with these is the skipping data wheel. They can be easily repaired by cleaning but eventually it gets a bit repetitive. The replacement 0069727000 16 position 4 bit grey rotary encoders don't seem to be available any more. I sourced an alternative with the same specs but the PCB attachment and control shaft spacing aren't compatible.
    I'm sure you'll get a few years out of yours, anyway. They're good fun and infinitely customable. I'd suggest getting a decent speaker though; the difference is amazing.

4. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    What speaker did you replace the stock speaker with ? Thanks :)

5. esseff

esseff Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2014
    East Midlands, UK
    I cut my G-DEC down to a head, converted a non-working Marshall MG30CDR combo into a speaker cabinet and fitted an 8 Ohm Celestion G10E-30 Tube 10.
    Photos below.
    Less drastically, you could install a Celestion G8 Eight as a direct replacement in the standard G-DEC combo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    Jim Dep likes this.

6. esseff

esseff Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2014
    East Midlands, UK

7. Electric Mud

Electric Mud Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2017
    SW PA
    Cool little amp. Bought one for my daughter. Unfortunately my x wife uses it as a spot to charge her cell phone rather than give it back. Wait...where did you buy that?!?!

Staypuft1652 likes this.

8. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
    Still rockin' my G-DEC30 1st generation.

9. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    Yep, my bro's 30 is still going strong. He got it when they first came out.

He lent it to one of our band mates who's sold his Mustang III (v1) a while back to pay bills. He's been using it at our weekly jams for the past couple of months. After a little time getting to know it, he's had it singing some sweet tones. When financials turn around, he's planning on looking for super deals on those, as well as the ol' M3s.

And we're loving "our new drummer", too. It's been a lot of fun and just sounds so nice. Plenty enough volume for our situation and room size.

10. adamsappel

adamsappel Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Jun 8, 2008
    Maryland
    I have a G-DEC 3 Thirty Blues edition that I bought off Craigslist that was still new in box for $100. I love it. Great to jam to, editable tones, I have several of the Hal Leonard play-along books with memory cards. I also have a G-DEC Jr. and a B-DEC bass amp.

CK Dexter Haven and Jim Dep like this.

11. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Just a thought, but maybe you could marry her again to get the amp back.

12. Electric Mud

Electric Mud Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2017
    SW PA
    No amp in the world is worth that.

13. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    I would be interested in one of those for $100, that is actually what I saw GK demo a few years back, the backing tracks are much more realistic ( as Koch put it "less robotic") and it actually seems usable as a mid size amp for jams & small gigs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.