Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

NAD Friedman Runt 20

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by gtrguru, Jul 17, 2017.

1. gtrguru

gtrguru Friend of Leo's

Apr 29, 2011
    Detroit Metro
    IMG_3871.JPG

Wow! I've never played such a good sounding Marshall amp. Too bad Marshall didn't make this bad boy. This baby can sound like just about any rock song ever. From low gain 60s crunch to a flamethrower JCM.

The clean channel isn't only better than anticipated, it may be better than my Fender Princeton. Just need to get a Reverb pedal and I may be down to one amp .

Playing through a Shaw Audio 1x12 with a Celestion G12H-75 Creamback.

uriah1 likes this.

2. Richie-string

Richie-string Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2014
    UK
    Congrats Dude, these have a stellar reputation as being first class amps. I haven't had the pleasure of trying one myself but every review i have come across has been singing their praises so hopefully you are having lots of fun with it. Which guitars have you tried through it so far? Does it tend to favour one in particular or is it flattering to everything you put through it?

3. gtrguru

gtrguru Friend of Leo's

Apr 29, 2011
    Detroit Metro
    I have a Strat, Tele, Les Paul with P90s and a Les Paul with buckers. The amp makes all of the guitars sound like the guitars they are. A lot of higher gain amps color the sound and it doesn't matter which guitar you play because they all sound the same.

The only other piece of gear I have used that lives up to the hype is the King of Tone. But that had to get sold to purchase this bad boy.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Richie-string

Feb 20, 2014
    UK
    Wow you have got the full range of tones happening there. A nice collection of guitars deserves a really nice amp to go through and that's certainly up there with the best of them reputation wise.

What drew you to the Friedman in the first place? What else was on your potentials list and what ultimately lead you to the Friedman in the end? Everyone always has several choices on their list when looking for a new amplifier so there must have been something happening with the Friedman that made you go for this bad boy? Nice choice but i guess i am just curious as to what lead you short list down to this one.
    Cheers.

6. SaintSilas

SaintSilas Tele-Meister

Jealous here. She's a beauty.

7. irie

irie Tele-Holic

Jul 15, 2014
    Orange County, CA
    Congrats man, I have played through a runt on a handful of occasions and would love to own one of my own some day.

8. gtrguru

gtrguru Friend of Leo's

Apr 29, 2011
    Detroit Metro
    I'm a YouTube junky so the review videos initially drew me to the Friedman. I thought a Friedman was unobtainium due to the cost. I typically buy used so availability is always a deciding factor.

I was leaning towards a Mesa Rectoverb 25 or Mark 5 25 but none were available under $1000 which was my threshold. I also wanted something with a great master volume so I can turn down while playing at home.

I have a Princeton to cover cleans so I was mainly looking for a dirt machine.

As luck would have it a used Runt popped up on Reverb and I put in an offer that was accepted. It's still kind of hard to believe I actually own one.

Sometimes life is good and sometimes life is great.

Richie-string likes this.

9. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Holic

May 12, 2016
    California
    man, I REALLY want to try one of these out in person! Good score

10. Richie-string

Feb 20, 2014
    UK
    I know what you are saying about the Youtube reviews, if you are prepared to hunt around there are lots of really good reviews which no doubt definitely do help when shopping for a new piece of gear. To be honest if i am bored of an evening i sometimes just really enjoy doing some window shopping via Youtube, after all you never when your lottery numbers may come up, and it's a nice way to spend an hour dreaming about what you might spend the winnings on.

That was an awesome short list there. I have lusted after the Rectoverb and the Mark 5:25 myself. I know what you are saying about buying second hand, i will always consider going second hand if that option presents itself because it means your money is always going to get you more amp/guitar than would otherwise be the case if buying brand new. And the thing with high quality products like Friedman/Mesa etc is that they are built to last and use very high quality components throughout so provided the gear looks like it's been well cared for reliability is never going to be a problem.

I know that feeling about still hardly believing that you finally own one, that's a wonderful feeling to have. Although it is nowhere near the same league i was ecstatic when i got my Fender Bassbreaker 007. Ever since i had started playing guitar i had always lusted after a Fender valve/tube amp with a tweed covering but had somehow never managed to get myself one so when i finally got one i just had to keep looking at it just to let it sink in that i had finally scored a Fender Tube amp.

11. gtrguru

gtrguru Friend of Leo's

Apr 29, 2011
    Detroit Metro

The Bassbreaker 007 is amazing. I sounds incredible when the gain is cranked. Fender amps are always something special.

12. Richie-string

Feb 20, 2014
    UK
    Yes the little Fender is an awesome small amplifier. I finally managed to crank it up (i live in a small apartment) when me and a friend went to a local studio. Like all tube amps it came to life and really sang so i am looking forward to a return trip there. I have been thinking about upgrading the speaker to maybe the Celestion Greenback 10" but at the moment i am just enjoying the amplifier.

My other amp is the little Vox AC4C1 which i really like a lot. Unfortunately it packed up a while ago but i have sent off for a new set of tubes today so hopefully that fixes the problem. The standard tubes are notoriously cheap in this amp and the EL84 did look to have a small amount of discoloration in one of the small oblong holes down the main internal housing in the tube (i am really sorry but i don't know the technical terms). There are three very small oblong/squarish holes in the main structure inside the tube and the middle hole on both sides looks like it has some black residue around it so i am hoping this tube is the problem. If not i can always keep the tubes as replacements for the Bassbreaker, but i hope it does fix it because i do love that small Vox.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.