Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NAD - Fender Vaporizer - Review, examination

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by sulaco, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Telepathist

Telepathist Tele-Afflicted

Nov 19, 2013
    Oregon
    Classic Country with Strat and Vaporizer:

( ''""-.-"""-.
    !!!!=I===I=======(==) :
    ( ,,,,-..___.'

2. Telepathist

Nov 19, 2013
    Oregon
    Digitech RP255 through Vaporizer:

( ''""-.-"""-.
    !!!!=I===I=======(==) :
    ( ,,,,-..___.'

3. DomBandolier

DomBandolier NEW MEMBER!

Dec 23, 2014
    UK
    Thanks all. This discussion is full of information and nice videos. I had an eye in this amp since last year, and now the price is under £200 in the UK, which is a great price. So I bought it.

I decided it after this video. I have no idea on what the guy is saying, but the amp sounds really nice in his hands :).

I didn't get if you find a way to get rid of the noisy reverb. Did you do something?

I'll probably replace the tubes soon, but not sure about the speakers.

4. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 19, 2011
    United Kingdom
    I haven't had the money to put into a full retube or anything but I had a spare EHX 12ay7 and I stuck it in v1 and the reverb doesn't feed back or buzz quite so much. I've also tried to insulate the tank on the cheap by taping cardboard around it but I'll probably replace the whole tank sometime. There was some good discussion on replacement tanks in one of the threads on here.

5. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Holic

Feb 7, 2013
    Ohio
    My reverb is pretty quite but my tone is what is noisy any past 9 0clock is way too much

6. Kennedycaster

Kennedycaster Tele-Afflicted

Apr 5, 2009
    Mesa, AZ
    I don't find my Vaporizer noisy at all. I play it with the reverb maxed. I play surf & use it as my practice amp. A tube swap made a night & day difference. New tubes made it louder & fuller. Really opened the amp up. I highly recommend a tube swap before doing anything else. I had a couple old GE 12ax7's I put in there & replaced the power tubes with JJ's. I'm not a fan of JJ's normally, but their el84's sound great.

Bob

7. Telepathist

Nov 19, 2013
    Oregon
    I detect a bit of similarity in tone between the Soldano Astroverb 16 and the Fender Vaporizer. What do you think?

( ''""-.-"""-.
    !!!!=I===I=======(==) :
    ( ,,,,-..___.'

8. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Michigan
    Hard to tell for sure comparing YouTube videos, but I am not hearing it. The Astroverb seems much more articulate on the crunchier settings...

9. Telepathist

Nov 19, 2013
    Oregon
    Trying for that sweet, creamy, Eric Clapton-like tone by turning the tone knob on the Vaporizer all the way up and the tone knob on the guitar most of the way down (with some Joyo Sweet Baby Overdrive):

( ''""-.-"""-.
    !!!!=I===I=======(==) :
    ( ,,,,-..___.'

10. Wiggy

Wiggy TDPRI Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Manchester, UK
    Did anybody get anywhere with doing the "BillM" type mods? I'm about to overhaul my guitarist's Vape, new 2x WGS G10C/S that I picked up for the price of one new one (Bargain! Came out of a £3k boutique closed back amp so they are MINT!) and I want to swap the caps for something that'll give more oomph. Any suggestions/results?

11. strato1307

strato1307 TDPRI Member

Jan 2, 2015
    Scotland
    here's another example of the versatility of this little amp. My band playing our interpretation of stop breakin' down by Robert Johnson. (me on the left) using a zvex fuzz factory for my solo tone. The vape was at about 12 oclock here. Obviously the sound guys probably eq'd it a bit so its not really true to the tone for the vapourizer but you get the idea. My vape has two eminence legend1058's in it also.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=724038014384215&set=vb.465527230235296&type=2&theater

12. Telepathist

Nov 19, 2013
    Oregon

Sounds good!!!

( ''""-.-"""-.
    !!!!=I===I=======(==) :
    ( ,,,,-..___.'

13. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Holic

Feb 7, 2013
    Ohio
    I was watching the latest epi of Storage wars it had Kenny Wayne Shepherd on it and in his garage among his amps was a surf green Vaporizer!

He mentions and shows it off here...

https://instagram.com/p/owaSqeycEC/

14. Wiggy

Wiggy TDPRI Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Manchester, UK
    Has anybody got the schematics?? I messaged sulaco but no reply :( Really need them!

15. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Holic

Feb 7, 2013
    Ohio
    MesSage me ur email I have them.

16. Wiggy

Wiggy TDPRI Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Manchester, UK
    You babe! Will do in a mo :)

17. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Holic

Feb 7, 2013
    Ohio
    Can get email to work so here ya go,

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015

18. Wiggy

Wiggy TDPRI Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Manchester, UK

19. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Holic

Feb 7, 2013
    Ohio
    Now what coolness do you have planned for this amp?

20. Wiggy

Wiggy TDPRI Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Manchester, UK
    "The Vaporizer is a hybrid comprising two channels of solid state preamp stages with couple of intermediate tube stages before a 12AX7 phase inverter and an EL84s push-pull power amp."

Guess I've got no chance of figuring it out then! haha if any of you guys know how to stiffen the Power Supply, or change the tone stack caps etc let me know!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.