NAD: Fender Pro Junior IV

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by LP26, Apr 26, 2018.

1. LP26

LP26 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

So I’ve been intrigued by the Pro Junior IV since they were announced at NAMM. I own two hand-wired Fender tweeds, a 57 Deluxe (which just got a Tone Tubby Red installed) and a 57 Champ (stock 8” Weber Alnico), both of which I love and play regularly. I also have a Fender 63 Reverb Tank (6G15) in tweed. So yeah, the tweed styling on the Pro Junior IV was certainly part of its allure.

I have one EL84 amp, a 5 watt Gibson GA-5 and have been looking for something with a bit more EL84 horsepower. I’ve owned Vox amps, including the AC-15 hand-wired, but have never really warmed up to the Vox tone.

So my local music shop has had a Pro Junior IV on the floor for a couple of months. I go in often, fiddle with various guitars and plug them into the PJIV. Its tone begins to grow on me so yesterday I ask to take it home for a night to play in my music room with my guitars and pedals.

Today I return the demo and pick up a new one in the box. As soon as I got it home I swapped tubes. I installed TAD EL84s, a JJ 12AY7 in V1, and a JJ 5751 in V2. As you might imagine, I like low gain as I mostly play clean - chord/melody jazz. I also play 1950’s style Chicago blues. If I’m looking for some grit and grind I use OD pedals like the Fulltone FD3 and the Wampler Tumnus.

I’m really like the tone I get from alnico speakers. I’m also keen on 10” speakers. My Princeton Reverb with a Celestion Gold 10 is really my go to amp. I like the Jensen P10R in the Pro Junior IV, but will, no doubt swap speakers down the road. I have a 10” Eminence Lil Buddy hempcone in storage (it resided in the Princeton for a couple of years). I’m also thinking about a Tone Tubby Humboldt.

Anyway… I suppose I’ve gotten a bit long winded. I also know that this post would be incomplete without the obligatory photo so here ya go. That's the 57 Deluxe next to it and the 63 Reverb beyond it. The 57 Champ sits just to the right of the 63 Reverb, just out of the frame.

Pro Junior IV-2W.jpg

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    stevemc, ce24, Random1643 and 15 others like this.
  2. Rialto1564

Rialto1564 Tele-Meister

Sounds cool. Will have to check them out.

3. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The best amp in its class ... Congratulations !

Greggorios and Ben-Zion like this.
  4. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Holic

Have the Pro Jr IV, indeed sounds amazing! Want so bad the 57 as well...

michiganguitar likes this.
  5. LP26

LP26 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Update…
    I installed a Tone Tubby Humboldt about a month ago and it delivers wonderful tone.
    I don't want to say the stock Jensen sounded bad because it didn't, but the alnico hempcone sounds thicker to my ears and that thickness suits the styles of music I play.

6. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Intriguing amp. Sounds good. Simple. Light. Giggable (for my needs). Am moving soon and downsizing. Further research is needed...

guitarmikey likes this.
  7. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

The P10R in mine has changed as it's been broken in. Definitely thicker IMO.

Jensen also sells a pre-broken in one designed in conjunction with Fender (hence the "F"): the P10R-F

https://www.jensentone.com/vintage-alnico/p10r-f

Kev Reg, havlma1 and guitarmikey like this.
  8. havlma1

havlma1 TDPRI Member

Hi all, anyone tried or considered Celestion Greenback in the Pro JR IV? I found P10R to be bit too much ice-picking, I run it with tone at 2-3.. Maybe the british voiced speaker would help to make the top end bit more smooth and still keep the bottom tight?

Marshall Thinline likes this.
  9. Kev Reg

Kev Reg Tele-Meister

The P10R will sound harsh and ice picky till you play it for about 20 to 30 hours at high volume then it rolls off. But if you have been down that road then try the P10R -F. Its a very insensitive speaker so good for quieter applications too. The greenback might be an interesting thing to try though.

Syrinx likes this.
  10. havlma1

havlma1 TDPRI Member

Thanks Kev Reg, so far I've played it for about 10 hrs at volume 3 and just one and half hour at 9 /really loud/. Though decision whether to try the Greenback or keep the P10R for a while.

11. Kev Reg

Kev Reg Tele-Meister

If you could run it through a friends cab with greenbacks that could help decide if a greenback could be good. I had to blast music through my amp with P10r to break it in took about 6 hours and that was after I had used the amp from 3 months before just playing it at loud home volumes. Its a frustrating process!

12. havlma1

havlma1 TDPRI Member

I have a spare birch plywood cab with 12" Creamback which I like with Pro Jr, just the bottom end is bit lose, I wondered if 10" Greenback could be better suited for the Pro Jr's voicing. Let's see, I think of getting one and if I don't like it I can always sell it. BTW what was the volume and tone settings you used while breaking-in the P10R? I've read somewhere that it's not good to break with too much volume.. Thanks!

13. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Gearmanndude paired a Warehouse Veteran 30 with his Pro Junior when he re-housed it with a 12". He dug it:

kookaburra likes this.
  14. Kev Reg

Kev Reg Tele-Meister

It was a strange setup. I ran my mp3 player into the aux input of my laney studio head and then connected my jensen P10r which was housed in my tweed deluxe clone. I covered the tweed deluxe in pillows and blankets then cranked up some very loud greenday and also some prodigy haha. It was very loud. But when I returned after several hours you could hear the difference for sure.

havlma1 likes this.
  15. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Am actually digging the P10R. It does keep getting better, I have probably less than 20 actual play hrs. Was able to crank for a good 2 on Saturday and was really nice. Mine has only been played by me (opened the box at the store, 15 min there and knew it was coming home with me). No noise issues. May pump some jams through this weekend...congrats on a cool amp!!

16. Fullmoon07

Fullmoon07 Tele-Meister

How does the Pro Jr. IV ($499) sound in a side by side comparison with a Tweed Champ ($999)? I love the clarity and presence of the Fender Champ ($999). Does the Pro Jr. IV have that clarity thing too?

17. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Haven't had the pleasure of playing a Tweed Champ. PJIV has presence in spades though....

18. havlma1

havlma1 TDPRI Member

I think it depends how loud you run the PJIV. I typically use it at bedroom levels around Vol 3 and it is very clear and dynamic, nice sounding. With higher volume it gets at first bit muddy, then opens up again to be very loud with nice presence. However then it becomes too loud for a bedroom :)

Just a short feedback, after some time I no longer like it with Creamback in the extension cab, the Jensen P10R broken up a bit and it sounds fantastic. I even think of getting P12R or P12Q just to see how the 12" sounds in the extension cab. Or maybe some Eminence..?

And one last note, I started to get rid of pedals except a tuner, delay and tube screamer. That PJIV sounds perfect on its own.

19. Marshall Thinline

Marshall Thinline Tele-Holic

Did you ever put the G10 Greenback in your Pro Junior? I’d like to know your opinion. I’m looking to change the Weber Signature S that I put in my PJ IV. The Greenback and Weber Blue Pup are on my radar. The Signature was a great improvement over The P10R, but I’m looking for that midrange chime.

20. havlma1

havlma1 TDPRI Member

I didn't try G10 Greenback inside Pro Jr. IV, but I have obtained a G12M Greenback (16 Ohms) for my extension cab which I used with Pro Jr. To me it feels like the amp gets bit lifeless, indeed Greenback tames all these harsh highs and I can run tone even to 12, but overall the clarity is gone. The amp sounds bit uninteresting to me both in cleans and also when overdrived. Just my opinion.. When I plugged back the P10R, it only assured me this speaker is just perfect. (but it is my opinion, others may see it in a different way)

The Pro Jr's beauty is most probably in synergy of its small footprint and components used. I'd say especially IV version. If you change some of its parts, you get bit different amp.

Maybe one question from my side - anyone tried to replace the MDF baffle to plywood or pine one? I have measured it yesterday and it's about 2 cm thick (3/4 inch).

greenback (2).jpg
    baffle-pro-jr-IV.jpg

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Marshall Thinline likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.