NAD - Fender Bassbreaker 30R

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by OldGuy6873, Feb 28, 2019.

1. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

Indefinitely look forward to hearing you pit it through it’s paces!

OldGuy6873 likes this.
  2. OldGuy6873

OldGuy6873 Tele-Holic

I'm hoping that by next weekend! Set it up for recording last night and still need some tweaks to the mic positions, but hopefully will record the whole demo over the weekend and early next week.

basdenchris likes this.
  3. basdenchris

basdenchris TDPRI Member

I’ve been all over the internet trying to find out how much clearance there is between the back of the speaker magnet and the tubes.

On my Bassbreaker 15 combo, there’s basically zero space to fit any speaker with a bigger magnet. I’d be over the moon if there was enough room in the 30r to swap for, say, an Alnico Gold.

4. JustABluesGuy

Yeah, I’m and alnico fan myself, though the V Types really don’t sound bad to me at all. I did try to shoehorn a Eminence Maverick with the FDM motor into mine with no luck. I have the BB112 extension cab if I want to use that or my alnicos.

IIRC I was able to shoehorn an old CTS alnico into it by leaving the tube retainer off of one of the power tubes. I’m curious if the gold would barely fit without the bell cover?

Have you checked to see if Fender has posted the cabinet dimensions for the 30R on their website for comparison?

5. basdenchris

basdenchris TDPRI Member

I haven't seen them anywhere, and I went so far as to reach out to Fender's tech support with my question; they told me "We don't provide specifications for the purposes of modifying our products." I have a lot of love for Fender, but this kind of irks me... I think a company (especially one with so many famously mod-able products) should understand that there's a huge market for replacement speakers, and that the V Types, while fine, won't suit everyone's tastes. I don't know, maybe I'm being whiny about it, but I also wasn't asking about an irreversible modification; it's a speaker swap, for crying out loud...

Ok, rant over :p

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  6. basdenchris

basdenchris TDPRI Member

But regardless, I'm taking the plunge. If Hurri-Snow-Pacalypse Ulmer doesn't put a damper in my plans, I'll have a Bassbreaker 30R in my studio by the end of the day tomorrow. I commented on someone's video review of the amp asking about the clearance, and they said about 4 inches, so it looks like I should be clear to throw in pretty much whatever speaker I want.

I've come across VERY few videos of this amp so far, so I plan to do one of my own once I've had it a little while. The other guitar player in the band I play in has a Z-Wreck, which is also a 30W, British-voiced EL84 amp (though that's totally where the similarities end), and I want to do a comparison video between the two just for giggles.

7. basdenchris

basdenchris TDPRI Member

The 45 would have been so good if they'd have just put nicer speakers in it... I know they wanted to keep the cost below $1000US, but the V-Types don't mesh well with whatever else is going on in that amp. It's funny, because I liked the V-Type in the 112 cab with a BB15 head, so maybe the 45 I played was just off...

8. JustABluesGuy

Congratulations on the incoming amp! I look forward updates, and to the video!

basdenchris likes this.
  9. markal

markal Tele-Holic

Enjoy it. I look forward to the video!

10. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Meister

Yeah, they could easily push the 30R design to 50 watts and put twin speakers in it. Like what Peavey does with their Classic line.

I think the killer feature is the EQ on both channels. Very few of the competition have that at this price point.

Then they wud have all bases covered.

11. JustABluesGuy

I would love to see a head version myself. I’ve got speakers covered.

basdenchris likes this.
  12. JustABluesGuy

I’m not a huge Celestion fan, but really like the V Types with the 15. I also like it with other amps as well.

I also like the BB15 with other speakers as well, so...

I’ve heard the different models sound different, and are based on different models, but I have only experienced the 15 firsthand so I don’t know how different they might be...

basdenchris likes this.
  13. basdenchris

basdenchris TDPRI Member

First impressions since unboxing my 30r last night:

I'm infatuated with the whole thing. Coming from my Bassbreaker 15 (with a Greenback), the 30r really is an upgrade in all the right ways. The individual EQ on each channel is a lifesaver, and (though I haven't yet gigged with it; that test comes this weekend), I think the added headroom will be just the ticket for playing with the band.

In a room by myself, the bigger cabinet (the V-Type might be contributing to this as well) seems to allow the bass to develop much more than in the little 15 combo. Combining that with the digital reverb, it sounds absolutely humongous. Neither the extra bass nor the lush reverb will do me any favors on stage, but it sure makes noodling alone more fun.

Being a modern-era Fender, there's some rattle when playing loud, the source of which I have yet to hunt down. With a band, it absolutely won't be noticeable, but I intend to use this amp to record, and I think for it to be useful in that application, I'll need to figure out how to make the rattling stop. Also, after running loud and hot for an hour or two, there was a weird electrical noise when I shut if off; not a "pop" per say, but a sort of cross between a "pop" and a "whoosh." Highly technical terminology, I know. I know most of the 68 Custom Deluxe Reverbs make a loud noise when you shut them off, so hopefully I can chalk it up to the same thing and it's not a sign of some future gig-ruining gremlin lurking beneath the amp's chassis. I'll keep you posted on that front.

markal and JustABluesGuy like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.