Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NAD!! DV Mark FGC121.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jakedog, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Staypuft1652

Staypuft1652 Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2017
    ND, USA
    Right! I was thinking some kinda old HVAC device myself.

Telecasterless likes this.

2. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    I still have my AVT 50 combo. It's a great sounding amp. Not as cool as the DV, but very cool. I'm holding onto it as a backup until I get another DV.

I gotta say though, knowing what I know now, as cool as the AVT series is, with the cost difference between an old AVT and a new DV Mark being so little, I'd encourage anybody to drop the extra couple hundred on a DV.

SecretSquirrel likes this.

3. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Which is how everyone should start looking at them however unlikely that may be. The "don't confuse me with facts my mind's made up" OS is still alive and well in many tube amp loyalists.

davidchagrin and Jakedog like this.

4. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    If you compare those early SS amps to what we have today it's like comparing the Wright Bros. Flyer to the Space Shuttle. Fender didn't offer those for long and there were no repeat customers that I'm aware of. They died a quick death.

Jakedog and Staypuft1652 like this.

5. Staypuft1652

Staypuft1652 Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2017
    ND, USA
    Yes thats what I determined from reading about them. There only seemed to be a few successful early solid states, kustom etc.

Jakedog likes this.

6. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    As I recall Kustom and Acoustic were the first to have some success with SS guitar amp. Yamaha and Roland came along a bit after that and Music Man was in the mix with a hybrid.

Jakedog and Staypuft1652 like this.

7. Jakedog

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    Standel and Award Session go WAY back. And were very successful across the pond. For good reason, too. Excellent sounding amplifiers.

I think in the US, you're right. Kustom was the first largely successful company. GK was around early on as well. It was a GK head that Santana used at Woodstock.

davidchagrin and soulman969 like this.

8. Jakedog

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    You ain't just whistling Dixie.

Load out conversation last weekend with the other guitarist in the Dead band I've been working with, who plays a very nice (but very heavy) hand made custom 40 watt tube amp-

Him: Yeah, but it's still solid state.

Me: Yeah, but it sounds awesome.

Him: Ok, it's the best sounding solid State amp I've ever heard. Are you happy now?

Me: It sounds as as good as your amp. Just different.

Him: Shut up.

Me: And it's 1/3 the weight.

Him: Shut up.

Me: It only cost $500.

Him: SHUT UP! I hate you! And your stupid light amp!

Lol!! We do a lot of ball busting in this band.

9. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    I know the UK had Session amps and they are quite good. One of our members here whom I friends with has had nothing but good things to say about them. Kind of the UK equivalent of our Roland and Tech 21 amps I believe.

My only experience with Standels which I think were really the very first all SS line in the US in the '60s was from a couple of touring bands we shared a few gigs with. I think Standel may have even been sponsoring them with their amps but I don't recall any longer.

They sounded fine but those guys claimed they didn't hold up well to travel and because of their Klon like secrecy of hiding the circuit design under something they were difficult to get serviced if needed. More than that I can't really say but we stuck with our Fender stuff.

They disappeared pretty quickly in the '70s but I recall that we were pretty damn impressed with their features and innovation at the time. That part of the SS tradition seems alive and well today and it's quite possible Standel is to thank for it.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    Jakedog likes this.

10. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    LMAO, I do get that part. I've been known to do it in some forums as well. :twisted::lol::lol:

Jakedog likes this.

11. Jakedog

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    For anybody watching this thread- just noticed MF is having a pretty fat sale on DV Mark stuff. Lots of models and pieces marked down 10-25%.

12. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Tele-Afflicted

Apr 2, 2012
    The Bluegrass
    You have re-ignited my interest in the re-introduction of Music Man amps (supposedly made by DV Mark.) Any info on that?

Jakedog likes this.

13. Jakedog

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    I have zero idea or info about that. Haven't heard anything about that. Seems odd that they'd do it, though. Why compete with their own stuff? But who knows? Strange things have happened.

Tele-beeb likes this.

14. Jakedog

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    I just did some googling. Seems it happened, sorta. I found a couple that used to be listed on reverb. Listings had ended. The Music Man website has a page of you use their search function, but when you get there, it says the page no longer exists.

The only ones I could find listed had power requirements of 240V. Maybe they only came out overseas? They don't appear to be currently available.

Tele-beeb likes this.

15. Sean65

Sean65 Tele-Holic

Oct 19, 2011
    London
    Interesting turn up Jakedog. I remember you asking about the JC120.

I realise you bought this amp for clean use but I'm always curious to know how solid state amps take drives and boosters.

Have you tried running a drive through it?

Jakedog likes this.

16. Jakedog

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    All the time! I use a TC Electronic Nova System. The drives in that sound fantastic. DV says they have a proprietary input circuit that takes any pedals through the front end like a champ. So far, I concur.

And I'm not against dirty sounds for the record, I use them every day. I just wanted a truly dynamic amp. Not one that flattens out, compresses, and breaks up. I want to control that. I don't want the amp in charge of it.

Sean65 likes this.

17. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2016
    Ontario Canada
    I emailed DV Mark in Italy yesterday with a few questions on this amp and was answered
    already this morning.
    Here is what I discovered.
    The loop is post reverb.
    Not a deal breaker,but it would be nice to have it pre reverb.
    I was given the distributors name for my area in Canada and just spoke with them.
    The FGC 121 hasn't landed in Canada,but the woman on phone said she would investigate
    and see when they would be coming.
    I could then get one through a local DV dealer.
    Warranty is three years parts and labor and if anything goes south,the amp goes to dealer,
    and the distributor here in my part of Canada will do the repairs.
    That's fine with me.
    If I buy in the U.S. and bring back to Canada,my warranty is not applicable here.
    I'll report back when I find out info and price here in Canada.
    With exchange rates and taxes from buying in the U.S.,I might do just as well buying it here in Canada.
    Let's see what happens.

Jakedog and Paul in Colorado like this.

18. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Keep us posted.

Lef T and Jakedog like this.

19. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2016
    Ontario Canada
    Jakedog,
    Does the amp run quietly.
    No hiss or hum ?

Jakedog likes this.

20. Jakedog

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    Very quietly. It's got some hiss, but nothing you'd notice while playing in a band or jam situation. I don't find it unacceptable at all. And I hate extraneous noise. It's why my tele has noiseless pickups. I won't even use traditional single coils anymore because the hum drives me nuts.

Lef T likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.