Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NAD: Custom Vibrolux Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by sammy123, Oct 4, 2017.

1. BadMojo

BadMojo Tele-Meister

Sep 17, 2017
    Maryland

2. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    This, my friend, is also a very different amp... Your Vibrolux (like the '69 I sold a little while ago) are based on the Blackface/Silverface amps. The CVR, '63 VVRi and '68 CVR are all based on a brownface circuit. Trem is different, and some of the values and compnenets in the EQ make your amp a much more scooped mid sound. Neither is better or worse, mind you, but different. I loved my '69 Vibrolux Reverb. But, I love my '63 Vibroverb Reissue a little more. :)

Your Vibrolux Reverb is in excellent condition! I had a mix of Eminence Rajin Cajun and a C10R speakers when I sold it. An odd combo, but one that worked quite well! I would wager that vintage Jensen sounds a lot better than my modern one did.

@sammy123, those Jensens in yours are decent speakers, don't get all hung up on Internet hype too much. I'm currently running one C10R and one P10r in my Vibroverb. But, there are a few threads on Vibroverb and CVR speakers. Enough to get your head spinning! One of the guys here (I couldn't find the threads doing a search, must not have had the right terms) spent years and years documenting his speaker swapping in one. Very entertaining and very enlightening! I believe in the end, he ended up back with two Eminence 1028alks.

Wally and TeleFunk Man like this.

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

4. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Holic

My VR is actually a silver face with black face panel. Not crazy about Fender's photocell trem. So I usually use a pedal for trem.

5. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Yeah, that was the first of Fender messing with the name Vibrolux Reverb. I realize they did the faceplate thing with all of the amps in this era.

I think one of the reasons I kept the Vibroverb over the Vibrolux was the trem. Bias vary trem is so much prettier. Although, the biggest factor was certainly the tone in general. It's just warmer in the 'verb.

6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    That BF VR that Telefunk Man owns is a true Vibrolux Reverb. It is a blackface--cosmetically--- from the last two years of production of the amps that began with the AB763 circuits. It is a 'SF' circuit, which is not a big thing with Vibrolux Reverbs becasue they are the only Fender 6L6 reverb amp that did NOT undergo the drastic changes that hit all of the other 6L6 amps....The VR never got a MV, nor did they get the UltraLinear treatment. Teh VR was basically the same amp from 1964 through 1981. Nice amp, TeleFunk Man.

Fender actually started 'messing' with amp names in the first two years of the BF era. The vibrolux went from what it had always been...1 x 12...to a 2 x 10. The Pro was changed from the classic 1 x 15 to a 2 X 12. The Super was changed from the classic 2 x 10 to teh 4 x 10....and pushed the 4 x 10 Concert out of production. However, what they did starting in 1995 with the 'Custom Vibrolux Reverb' and continuing on with the '68 SF Custom VR. wouldn't it have been simpler for them to maintain the Vibrolux as an AB763 1 x 12, make keep the Pro as it was and have a reverb option instead of naming the AB763 1 x 15" with reverb the Vibroverb. Fwiw, my '63 1 x 15 prototype Pro is a great non-reverb amp. but....they didn't ask me......do we have what we have. You have to stay on your toes to understand the ins and outs of certain models. Soem hld that if FEnder had built a 1 x 12", 2 x 6L6 AB763 Vibrolux/Vibrolux Reverb pair that it would be the most popular vintage Fender amp on the market. AS it is, Fender did NOT build a 1 x 12, 2 x 6L6 amp....until the river era when one could buy a 1 x 12, 2 x 6L6 Concert amp. I suppose they saw what Boogie was doing with the 1 x 12, 2 x 6L6 or 4 x 6L6 format, eh? PEople like that package.

teletimetx, TeleFunk Man and Axis29 like this.

7. sammy123

sammy123 Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Jul 25, 2011
    MKE
    Thanks for the reply @Axis29

Yeah I don't plan on changing the speakers. I like them. I even ran my VHT through them and like that too. I actually have a Weber head switcher on the way to make it easier to switch things up.

8. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Feb 5, 2015
    Southeastern MA
    I bought a used CVR several years ago to replace a DRRI I regretfully had to sell. I really wanted another DRRI but the CVR was selling cheap at the height of all the bad reviews on them. I didn't find any of the noise problems people complained about, and then found that alot of the Moyer mods had been done.
    It was a sweet amp that I really found "my sound" in. After I realized the Moyer modded CVR was really a Vibroverb RI in disguise I sold the CVR for a Vibroverb. But I kept the P10Rs from the CVR and put them in the Vibroverb. It's my desert island amp!

sammy123 likes this.

9. sammy123

sammy123 Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Jul 25, 2011
    MKE
    That's cool. Did you notice any differences between the two or were they really as close as people say?

10. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Just an observation that is meaningless now....but you sold an amp that was just like the one you then bought....except for the model name and cosmetics. The PCB in the CVR reads "6G15".....they are the same amp. The CVR is simply a modded form. The Moyer mods takes the CVR back to the 6G15 VVRI.
    Ime, the CVR can be made into a very versatile amp....I leave the reverb on both channels. That circuit is not the source of the increased noise that the stock CVR exhibits. That noise comes from the lack of a negative feedback loop. I install a NFB loop with an adjustment pot so that one can go from the 6G15 to a hotter amp...or anything in between. I also revoice the first channel for a tweedier sonic....I have little need for two identical channels. I install a bias adjustment pot in the hole that is hidden under that back panel on the chassis. voila....very versatile amp and much improved from the stock version of either the 6G15 VVRI or the CVR. FWiw, the '68 Custom SF vibrolux RI is built on the same circuit.

11. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    To me the mods kill what is great about the amp. Earlier breakup and thickness. Yes, there is a higher noise floor but that's the bargain, right?

I hadn't thought of @Wally's solution (adjustable pot). I take it the idea is you can get more headroom/clean and less noise floor, earlier breakup/dynamics or many points between? That's a neat concept.

For me it's too loud to do what I wanted in my bands so I moved on. I also think for reasons that I can't really articulate, I'm a 6v6 guy. They always seem to sit better in my ear and under my hand.

12. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Feb 5, 2015
    Southeastern MA
    Pure vanity, I admit. I liked the brownface cosmetics of the VVRI. :rolleyes:

Wally and Axis29 like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.