Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NAD: Custom Vibrolux Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by sammy123, Oct 4, 2017.

1. sammy123

sammy123 Tele-Meister

Jul 25, 2011
    MKE
    Good morning,

I picked this amp up in like new condition from the original owner last night for a fair price. Luckily I just sold some synths locally, which was more than enough to pay for the amp.

It's in immaculate condition. 100% stock. I read all about the complaints people have with them so I was aware what I was getting into. The hiss is there, but I think I can live with it for now. So far I've taken the volume to about 4 and it sounds wonderful.

When I tested it there was actually zero reverb. I figured it was probably a simple fix, i.e. tubes, tank or cables so I bought it anyway. Turns out the cable was reversed so the reverb sounds fine now :)

As for future Moyer mods I'll probably do them eventually, but it's not a high priority right now.

Oh and the tremolo is amazing!

IMG_20171003_225400.jpg

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

2. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Meister

Mar 2, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Nice, congrats!

sammy123 likes this.

3. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Tele-Afflicted

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Congrats on a nice score!

That's a 2x10, right?

sammy123 likes this.

4. sammy123

sammy123 Tele-Meister

Jul 25, 2011
    MKE
    Yes it is. 2x10 with the green Jensens (P10R).

I guess there were some changes from the earlier models. i.e. changing from the the blue frame speakers and changing the reverb tank connection.

edit, I may be wrong about the earlier CVR having different speakers.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    JustABluesGuy likes this.

5. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Meister

Feb 4, 2016
    sw US
    That is a beautiful amp and guitar!

Piggy Stu and sammy123 like this.

6. sammy123

sammy123 Tele-Meister

Jul 25, 2011
    MKE
    Thank you. The guitar is also a recent acquisition. I just upgraded the bridge the other day and it is so much better.

t guitar floyd likes this.

7. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Holic

I’ve seen early ones with the blue frames.

Cool amp, congrats!

sammy123 likes this.

8. sammy123

sammy123 Tele-Meister

Jul 25, 2011
    MKE

9. RWB

RWB TDPRI Member

May 23, 2003
    Canada
    Congrats on the CVR! I owned one for a few years and really fell in love with it after replacing the stock speakers with a pair of Weber 10F150T's.

I sold it only because I found a good deal on an original 1970 Vibrolux Reverb that I just had to have. The CVR had to go for financial reasons.

sammy123 likes this.

10. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Tele-Afflicted

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    I just recently started playing some 2x10 cabs with vintage Emi Alnicos, and I'm really liking them!

11. Il Duce

Il Duce Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2013
    NYC
    Sweet! One day I hope to own either a CVR or Vibroverb ri or 64' Custom if I ever have the money and opportunity at the same time! Lol

12. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Congrats and Welcome to the 6g16-and-all-it's-derivatives club!

13. sammy123

sammy123 Tele-Meister

Jul 25, 2011
    MKE
    Thank you.

I got to spend some more time with it last night at a around 4 on the dial. The notes really pop. It is very dynamic. Maybe it is just because I am playing much louder than normal, but I was really pleasantly surprised.

I also ran my pedal board into it for while. It felt very different than my VHT (in 12w mode). Again, probably because of the levels. I did have to make some adjustments on my DOD 250 and 280 to get things right. It was awesome.

teletimetx likes this.

14. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Congrats on the amp, Sammy.

I’ll Duce, be advised that the CVR and the 6G16 are different amps compared to the ‘64 Custom Vibroverb, which is based on the BF AB763 circuit. The biggest difference is that the BF circuit uses an op to-isolator tremolo circuit versus the bias vary in the 6G16 Vibroverb and its offspring...which includes the VVRI, the Custom Vibrolux Reverb, and the ‘68 SF Custom Vibrolux Reverb. That said.....there is nothing wrong with wanting all of those, I agree.

15. I've got one and actually love it stock... gives it a bit more thickness and really don't notice the noise/hum everyone is talking about. Mine has the blue alnico's and they are so sweet...

20170305_141026.jpg

16. sammy123

sammy123 Tele-Meister

Jul 25, 2011
    MKE
    Thank Wally and grolan.

I definitely have some hiss, but I can live with it. At some point I might swap some tubes to see if it can be tamed.

17. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Tele-Afflicted

Aug 18, 2009
    St. George, UT
    congrats! This is on my short list

18. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin Staff Member Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Near TELE-Town (Wash. DC)
    Admin Post
    Congratulations on a great score. When you get around to the Moyer mods, you'll never look back. :cool: CS

19. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Holic

Nice amp. Sounds like a great score. My $ 0.02 If you like what you hear keep it stock.

Here's my 1980 VR:

IMG_3368.JPG

Speakers are Eminence Copperhead and a vintage 63 Jensen C10Q:

IMG_3358.JPG

BadMojo likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.