Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NAD, brand new pro jr. And I already modded it.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by maxvintage, Jan 12, 2018 at 3:19 PM.

1. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    This was sort of an impulse buy. I’ve been getting a great jazz tone from solid state amps, using a pedal so sometimes add a little saturation. I was in a local store and there was this pro junior on sale...

So these are well known, this is just a generic black vinyl “version iii.” It has a really good basic good tone without the fender mid scoop and it works really well for my style. The relationship of the volume knob to guitar volume is interesting.

Despite the fact that I thought it sounded great out of the box I could not resist some mods.

New speaker. I had a homemade cab with a Weber Alnico 10a100 in it. I put the Weber in the pro junior after removing the bell cover. Better? Maybe. Different. I’m liking it.

Wire twist. This amp isn’t overly noisy, but it did have some hiss. Unbundled the green leads from the transformer, twisted them together, and shunted them along the chassis wall. Hum is gone! Or at least it’s no louder than any other tube amp

Negative feedback switch. I installed a simple sp/st switch to cut the negative feedback in and out. Without negative feedback it’s a little more raw, but in a good way. A bit less polite.

So far no additional money spent

Wondering about maybe doing a rebias, or installing a bias pot. It does seem to run hot! But I like the way it sounds

Also thinking about shock mounting the board with the tube sockets. I have heard a few sympathetic rattles.

I have a bunch of tubes around I can swap in.

Years ago I gigged on upright bass with a guy who used a pro junior with an arch top, got a great jazz sound. I feel like this is a great amp for a single coil jazz sound.

2. Syrinx

Syrinx Tele-Meister

Aug 7, 2016
    Champaign illinois
    Alnico is always the way to go with this amp-its what it originally was designed around.

ruger9 likes this.

3. maxvintage

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Loving the Alnico speaker in there. The amp sounds great. I’m also really digging the sound with negative feedback switched off, at least at low volumes. At higher volumes it’s a little too raw.

I have the equipment to make a new wooden cab. I’m wondering if making a new cab would be worth it. The internet is always telling me that particle board is no good/kills tone etc.

4. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ

5. maxvintage

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA

6. ruger9

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    It's not that new, it was desgined by Bruce Zinky when he worked for Fender... he also designed the CVR and VK... and the Pro-Sonic. Around 1993, so 25 years ago at this point?

7. maxvintage

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA

So did it have a blue frame alnico when it was issued?

8. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Agree about AlNiCo speakers and these amps. I was lucky in that the 60th Anniversary Woodies came stock with a Jensen P10R. FWIW, this happens to be the only "mod" Jeff Beck has done to his Pro Juniors that he performs with...has a Jensen P10R put in. That's it.

I also think pulling the 12AX7 out of V1 is "mandatory". These amps are essentially a tweed circuit, which all called for a 12AY7 in V1. Putting a 12AY7 in it had a huge positive effect on the sound and increased the useful range of the volume knob for me. Some people also sing the praises of putting a 5751 in V1, though I haven't tried that myself.

Great amps, really. Put a good delay, reverb, and trem in front of it, and I'm ready for most anything my meager abilities allow.

Scott

DSC07299.JPG

9. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    I thought they had ceramics in them back then, too. Could be wrong.

Scott

10. ruger9

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    I'm almost positive they had the blueframes...

1) because so did the CVR and Vibro-king back then.

2) because I was researching Pro Jrs, and came across the info... alot of people saying the first ones were "better" because they came with those blue frames

telemnemonics likes this.

11. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2017
    England
    I had a blues junior III for a little while, it was a great fun little amp. I'm not sure if it was the speaker or not (I assume so though) but it was lacking articulation and note definition with some dirt thrown in.

But clean, it wasn't missing anything, great fun amp.

12. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Looks like I was mistaken and y'all are correct about the initial Pro Junior speaker.

This post from 2013 turned up in a quick search:

13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Yeah I've wanted one since they first came out and I do remember that soon they lost the blue frame, which created a small uproar among enthusiasts.
    It is indeed a "vintage" Fender model at this point, and I'm not sure why I never bought one.
    Bought two Blues Jrs though and regretted both. Dumb choices!

14. maxvintage

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I just swapped a 12Ay7 into v1 and I'm liking the difference. As you mentioned more clean range on the vol. knob.

Also really liking the Weber 10A100

The negative feedback switch is dead easy--just cut the purple wire, drill a hole, wire up and install a SP/ST switch.

telemnemonics likes this.

15. Syrinx

Syrinx Tele-Meister

Aug 7, 2016
    Champaign illinois
    The original run 92/93 had the same special design blue alnico repro that the original bassman reissue was fitted with. It is to me the best speaker ever in a PJ.

16. Brokenpick

Brokenpick Tele-Holic

Oct 29, 2008
    Dixie
    Ha. "polite" not the word most ProJunior Lovers would use to describe their pet.

As always, speaker choice (plus appropriate knob twiddling) is
    a personal thing.
    And... before you build a cab just for The Magic of Wood ... consider up-sizing the cab. Some put 'em into bigger cabs and then... you can get all into the 12" spkr. options and maybe have some extra fun. (Yeah, I know- it's not as "grab&go" as that little cube then, but... heck, it's still light as a feather!)
    Enjoy. Don't let it go and regret it like many have!

17. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Yep. Every time I watch this video it sorely tempts me. If mine didn't already have a solid wood cab, I'd be all over this:

18. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
    They are great little amps and seem to work well with pedals.

19. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

Mar 11, 2008
    Timonium,Maryland
    ruger9 likes this.

20. maxvintage

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I think I prefer tens for the kind of stuff I like to play. As mentioned I gigged a lot with a guitarist who used it for jazz--straight ahead jazz with an ES-175. single ten. Sounded great and kept up fine with jazz drummers. Also the small size of the amp is very appealing. But it wouldn't take too long to knock together a copy of the cab in pine, to see if magic pine resonance happens...

Also thinking about building a head cab, with the controls facing front. I know, that contradicts the whole grab and go thing.

Yeah why is that fender blue alnico 139 bucks?

I've got silicon standoffs on order--somebody here documented the process of doing that to eliminate tube rattle.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.