Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NAD: BMR

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by schmee, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    Ouch! how was it packed? who was the shipper? I didn't know they glued and stapled those cabinets.
    Hopefully they insured the package and you can get at least a partial refund for the damaged cabinet.

2. Crobbins

Crobbins Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Meiners Oaks CA.
    hopefully you can repair that, or return it. Good luck.

3. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    A partial refund is in process. I should come out good! I once had this happen to a 70's Super Reverb. It arrived in 5 pieces! In the end I got a free Super Reverb!
    I tested the BMR and it works, trem and reverb works too. But now I have to sit while waiting to see if Fedex will come to inspect it or not.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018

4. Wyatt

Wyatt Tele-Holic

Nov 3, 2004
    15 years ago, the DIY-project-du-jour was buying BMR (which averaged $200-300 then) and turning them into Vibroclones, BF Vibroverb clones. Companies made "Vibroclone" faceplates and everything.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    King Fan likes this.

5. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Yeah, I had one!

6. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    An update:
    Going through the amp now, full cap job as the filters and all were originals. It appears nothing has ever been done to this amp. Not one thing I can see. I'm BF'ing the bias circuit.
    All the pre tubes are RCA's! Haven't tested them yet though, not so sure they are still good.
    A couple questions for the techy guys:
    -I didnt have the two 70uf filter caps in stock so I put in a couple 100uf I had for now. Not sure why the resistors between the 20uf filters are not 1 k and 4.7k like most Fenders though....?
    -It has 6L6GC's in it made in West Germany. Anyone recognize what these are? There's a disc shaped getter on the bottom left just above the base in the picture.
    [​IMG]

7. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest

8. Wyatt

Wyatt Tele-Holic

Nov 3, 2004
    It's Russian-made 6П3C (6P3S)

It was common in the '80's to buy from Soviet-bloc manufacturers and relabel the tubes to avoid embargo. Western governments looked the other way because these tubes were needed to fulfill military contracts in the U.S. and U.K.

9. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Thanks! But it does say W Germany on it...? Two places.. Gold pins..

10. Wyatt

Wyatt Tele-Holic

Nov 3, 2004
    It's a lie. This tube was made by Reflektor in Saratov, shipped to RFT in East Germany, sold to a distributor in Western Europe (probably Siemens), and the base and silk-screen were added for the final client.

[​IMG]

RFT was shuttered as a condition of German unification and that tube pipeline fell apart. By the early '90s, with RFT closed and EI bombed out of existence by NATO during the Balkan War, tube production entered a dark age of sorts — no real 6L6GC, no 6V6GT, on EL34 (Tesla/JJ), that's why the Sovtek 5881 dominated the '90s until more Russian and Chinese tube designs made it to market.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018 at 4:19 PM
    Jef likes this.

11. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest

12. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Update, The tune up and cap job is done and it sounds fine.
    One problem... There is a very light ticking in the back ground. It's almost dead on at one second intervals.:
    -Not effected by the vibrato on or off. If vibrato is on the ticking is different speed than the vibrato pulse.
    -The ticking does not change volume with guitar volume change that I can tell.
    -The ticking does change volume with amp volume, but it never gets loud.. minor change.
    -The ticking goes away with the guitar cord unplugged!

Ughh... not heard this one before!
    Any ideas?

13. Wyatt

Wyatt Tele-Holic

Nov 3, 2004
    Some common culprits...
    • Quartz wristwatch or wall clock
    • RF interference from cell phone or similar (plus, most processors have an internal clock)
    • AC device like a ceiling fan
    • DC discharge in amp from a bad component
    • Poor continuity between parts of the circuit
    In short, it's a nightmare to troubleshoot. But I would start by trying it in a different location and seeing you can narrow it down to the chassis.

14. Had a BMR made into a Vibroclone, it was a fantastic amp in the end. Congrats and sorry about your cab in shipping, but I bet you come out better for it in the long run. :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.