Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NAD: BMR

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by schmee, Jul 26, 2018.

1. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Just bought a Bandmaster Reverb for a bargain!. Seemed like a good deal. Working condition. We'll see when it gets here. Should give me the Super Reverb option.. or close... :>)
    I may sell my SF Bassman if it works out. Only need one amp that powerful and the Bassman seems real loud even outdoors on 3!

2. LudwigvonBirk

LudwigvonBirk Tele-Holic

Aug 26, 2017
    Madison
    I've wanting one those (just the head).

If you don't mind saying, what did you pay for it?

3. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest

4. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I got one about ten or so years ago. I took it to Bruce Collins at Mission Amps in Denver. He made one channel tweedier, and put reverb on both channels putting the two channels in phase. I like to jumper them together. I run it into either a single 12" EVM 12L or two JBL K-120's, but I want to have a 3 x 10" combo cab built to make it the Bandmaster that never was.

I was playing it at a friend's store grand opening. Someone came by and said, "I could hear the band a block away. I could hear the lead guitar three blocks away."

I hope you like it as much as I like mine.

teletimetx and JeffBlue like this.

5. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    I've owned a few BMRV heads over the years, they used to be sleeper amps that you could get really cheap , not anymore!
    I made a couple of them into combo amps. One of the best sounding ones was where I used one 10" and one 12" alnico Eminence speakers.
    I also made a mini "Twin" out of one of them , made a speaker baffle board to replace the big grill cloth board.
    I put 2 fairly high powered 8" speakers in it, moved the reverb tank to the bottom.
    Figured I could use the head with internal speakers for small gigs or rehearsals and use a bigger ext cab for more volume, or both.
    It sounded good too.
    And of course a lot of folks used to make faux Vibroverb combo amps out of the BMRV heads with 1-15.

IMO they don't sound the same as a Super Reverb, the Super Reverb has much bigger iron , but the BRMV amps do sound good, classic Fender tone.

Have fun and let us know which way you go with it.

PS it also won't sound like your Bassman head, the Bassman is kind of a unique Fender tone IMO, great for R&R and blues, and as you noted, LOUD!

6. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    My first good amp..it holds its own with the other fenders no problem

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Nice!
    The Bandmaster Reverb heads always remind me of Vibrolux Reverb amps.
    Your Bassman will probably be cleaner, louder, and sound better cranked up.
    I’d keep em’ both.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    FiddlinJim, JeffBlue and thunderbyrd like this.

8. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    Cool! I'm sure you know this, but Rob covers Bandmaster head conversions here...

9. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Convert to what?

10. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Yeah, it will be interesting to see. I had one that was converted to a combo Vibroverb, complete with BF faceplate... years ago. A Super Reverb is the king of all amps to me, but I sold my '66 a few years ago. I use my Bassman for outdoor summer gigs with a big 1 x 15 EV speaker. It a clean machine with a bit of growl from the speaker. The BMR definitely doesnt have the big iron of the Super... which may be a good thing. But I have a Super output multitap Hammond transformer sitting here... from another experiment I did... so that may go in there.... No master volume on this one...

11. GFrank

GFrank TDPRI Member

Mar 27, 2018
    Brooklyn, NY
    Congrats!
    My main amp is a '68 Bandmaster Reverb that I re-housed in a 1x12 combo cab. It is an absolutely killer, beautiful sounding amp with the perfect combination of power and portability to handle just about any situation as a clean amp/pedal platform.

As a side note: after a long speaker search (2-3 yrs, maybe a dozen speakers), for the last year or so I had been using a 4 ohm Emi GA-SC64 (a terrific speaker) in the combo, but felt that it lacked some brightness and edge that I wanted (I do a sort of modern Bakersfield kind of thing with a Tele) so I was not totally satisfied and kept looking. I got a new 4 ohm C12N a few days ago (I tried an 8 ohm C12N a couple years ago and did not like it) and WOW, I am loving it! Bright edgy vintage Fender tone and improved, lush reverb - I wish I had tried a 4 ohm C12N first and saved myself all the heartache and expense!

12. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana

13. King Fan

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City

14. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest

15. Ringo

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    Has anybody put two 8" speakers in the BMR cab?

Yes I did it a couple times and noted it in the response I made earlier.

16. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I never did the 8" speaker mod, but a sound guy stuck a mic on the head one time as we were setting up. He didn't see the black 2 x 12" cab sitting there or didn't make the connection that they went together. He was so embarrassed. ;-)

FiddlinJim likes this.

17. Ringo

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    The head cabinets on those series of SF amps are plenty big enough to mount a couple of 8" speakers, I wanted to try some 6x9 speakers but couldn't find any that were not coaxial .
    As I recall I just got a couple cheap 8" speakers from MCM or Parts Express, they were rated pretty high wattage. It was surprisingly loud and sounded good.
    I think the 2nd one I did a few years ago I used a couple of Jensen MOD 8" speakers, which also sounded good.

I've seen pictures of mics on the amp heads , was that a Mr Goodsound wannabe?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018

18. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    I imagine a couple Weber 8F150's would be killer. Not my thing though.

19. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Well it finally arrived. Be very careful shipping 70's style amps! Ugh:
    [​IMG]

20. King Fan

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    Ouch... hurts bad just to see the pics.

schmee likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.