NAD: AC10C1

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Cysquatch, May 15, 2019.

1. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Meister

Been having some real bad GAS for something nice and British to compliment my Mesa for a while and a good handful of you all helped drop some great suggestions in a thread I posted. Was going to just go ahead and get an AC4C1 or Night Train, but after listening to a handful of the options for a few days, I found a floor model AC10C1 for $380 with free shipping with all factory packaging and goodies.

So far, been loving it. Has that nice top boost tone I was jonesing for and regardless of the controversy and uproar around these parts, I think the transistor lead to help hit the pre-amp a little harder is great. Still sounds 100% tube and just has some extra oomph available. And the verb is WET. Been surfing on it pretty hard.

Haven't had a chance to hook it up to an external speaker cab with 12"s (or maybe just a single 12", have a few options), but the 10" that's in it is pretty decent. Definitely needs to be broken in, but that's standard. I'll report back with thoughts on that and how it takes a few different pedals if anybody is interested/it hasn't already been done to death.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions in the thread, even if I ignored darn near all of them with this buy. :p

IMG_20190515_202725113[1].jpg

2. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

I would have one of these if I hadn't have built my own AC top boost style amp. That transistor will just be outright replacing the first gain stage, its not a bit extra, it is necessary for all your preamp distortion. I also used a transistor for the first gain stage which drives the first valve. My thinking is its the same as sticking a clean boost pedal infront of a valve amp and no one has anything bad to say about that, all your distortion is still pure valve. I set up the first gain stage to get a gain of 150 to get closer to the gain of an ef86. Either way its still great little amp, HNAD!

3. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Suweeet! Congrats, looks a cool score!

4. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

I tried one for the first time checking out a guitar in a pawn shop. I think it sounded fantastic. I have an AC15 which I adore so I don’t think I need one. I’ve never had a fender amp but I love every Vox tube amp I play.

lineboat likes this.
  5. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

I've played to and liked them. Would love to pick one up!

6. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Great amps. $380! You did well. Congratulation!! Thanks

7. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

It's probably my favorite $500 valve amp, even though it's probably made in Vietnam or China. Do they call them valves or tubes there? They probably call them valves in Hong Kong, 'cause of the British connection. The only reason that I don't have an AC10 is because, in my tiny studio apt., at the volume levels I have to play at to keep my neighbors from complaining to the manager, a modeling amp sounds better. I couldn't turn the AC10 up enough to sound good.

8. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Nice score! That’s an excellent amp.
    It’ll sound even better after a few hours of rocking it!

9. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Meister

You must have picky neighbors. I can get some really solid sounds out of this at pretty low levels, as far as tube amps go

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.