Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NAD- '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Tele5015, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Tele5015

Tele5015 Tele-Meister

Dec 29, 2015
    Holton,Michigan
    Just got a '68 Deluxe Reverb. This amp is awesome it has awesome clean tones and some of the best natural overdrive I have heard. It is also dead silent.

FRESHMEAT and JBFatFingers like this.
  2. Big tuna

Big tuna Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2012
    east side
    Congratulations i bet it does sound good.

3. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    Very nice amp. Lotsa bang for the buck IMO.

4. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I believe all of the things you say about this amp. However, it's kind of conjecture at this point - until you post pix!

5. BradL

BradL Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Feb 9, 2009
    Sussex, UK
    They are very nice. Some are quieter than others but they nonetheless do sound glorious.

6. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

Mar 8, 2013
    NW Arkansas
    Have you tried patching the two channels to run both simultaneously? (Plug guitar into input 1 and then out from input 2 to other channel/input 1).
    Or, get an A/B/Y pedal and do it that way.
    This is where the amp really "shines".

Attached Files:

digitalshrub likes this.
  7. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I love the '68 Custom series of amps. I want either the DR or the PR.

Congrats.

FRESHMEAT likes this.
  8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
  9. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

Mar 8, 2013
    NW Arkansas
    I got the PR first, then later a DR. 68 Custom line are great amps. Speaker in the PR is probably its weak point.

Attached Files:

FRESHMEAT likes this.
  10. VintageToneGuy

VintageToneGuy Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2008
    East of Mississippi
    I have the 68 custom vibrolux and love it

LiteAsh and FRESHMEAT like this.
  11. Tele5015

Tele5015 Tele-Meister

Dec 29, 2015
    Holton,Michigan
    I have the Vibrolux too.

LiteAsh and FRESHMEAT like this.
  12. Mayas caster

Mayas caster Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2015
    Caraquet N.-B. Canada
    Grrrrreat amp! Cool choice!

13. spenno

spenno Tele-Meister

Sep 23, 2009
    England
    Are there any reliability issues with the 68 Custom Deluxe in particular? I am interested but not if I’m likely to be getting frequent repairs (or any more likely than other amps with 9 valves anyhow!). I only ask as I have read a few experiences, but maybe they were isolated that could affect any tube amp.

14. Cicada Nation

Cicada Nation Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Mine has been totally reliable.
    I had to flip the verb tank around when I got it, but I had been expecting that because of my research. I also had a rattling tube right from the get go. After that, nothing but enjoyment.

15. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Congrats OP on buying a really nice amp.

We went out to eat last night at a restaurant/bar on the bay. The lone guitar guy was playing a Strat through a ‘68 Custom DR. It sounded great for Blues/rock. He had pedals but I don’t think that the pedals were being used (no lights). I did not get a chance to ask him if the amp was running the stock speaker, but I am assuming that it was. The guitar/amp/guitarist sounded great at very moderate volumes.

I was very impressed with his tone threw the ‘68 CDR. Making me think that I need to have one.

FRESHMEAT likes this.
  16. FRESHMEAT

FRESHMEAT TDPRI Member

Jan 6, 2013
    Mission Viejo, California
    I've had mine for a few months and had tried it out a bit. Yesterday for the first time I got to really check it out and was blown away. One of the first things I did was play my 1978 Mustang through it. It made me realize that I should have got a DR back in 78 when I got my Mustang. On both channels there is a bit more bass and punch on input one. Both input two have more jangle or chime to them it seems. I was a bit worried from little noises I was getting at first. It was only a bad older cord causing the noise. So far every 68 Custom DR I have heard or played live in front of me does not have noise or hiss. I strongly appreciate both my DR and the 65 DRRI as well. I would have purchased the 65 DRRI if there was no 68 Custom DR. I had tried out a 2016 American Special Strat and a 2017 Gibson SG Special T with some cool results with it. I've been so busy that I have not had the chance to totally groove on this amp yet until yesterday. After I put the Mustang up, I plugged in my 1998 Gibson Les Paul Special SL and then it got real interesting. I was getting tone from Heaven all of a sudden. To put sugar on top I ran it through the Custom one input with a CAE wah and a Wampler Tumnus Deluxe after the wah. I'm kind of scratching my head on the noise issues with these because mine is quiet. I have probably tried out two or three different ones in the store and they also were quiet. I've read about noise complaints however on several posts. I'm figuring maybe they had something not hooked up right, bad cords, etc. and jumped the gun to post negative on these. Even my beat up worn out 78 Mustang sounds cherry through this amp.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.