Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

NAD '58 Bassman

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by charlie chitlin, Feb 8, 2017.

1. dansamp

dansamp TDPRI Member

Dec 14, 2006
    Austin Texas

I just sent you a PM regarding a BadassMan in Austin TX

Dan.

2. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    So...last night I take the Bassman to rehearsal...a Princeton is enough, but...Bassman!!
    I'm addicted to it.
    I'm still trying out guitars because there isn't much point at home.
    I have to play too quietly, and I want to hear it with the BAND.
    I plug in a '54 Gretsch Electro II (Dynasonic pickups), and it sounds OK for a little while, but not great...then it sounds like crap.
    Hmmmm....
    Then I plug in a 20?? Flying V with PAF-like humbuckers.
    I can dial up some good tones, but it's not easy.
    Once or twice it sounds like about 2/3 power...then it sounds shrill and I have to dial the guitar tone way back...
    *sigh*
    Is the honeymoon already over?
    Then I remember...sometimes my wah engages when I transport my pedal board...and it has a weird switch that half engages if I don't give it an authoritative stomp.
    When this first happened, I got through the better part of a gig before I figured it out.
    DUH!
    Anyway...I clicked off the wah, the clouds parted, the sun came out, and the birds began to sing!

t guitar floyd likes this.
  3. Axis29

Axis29 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Your Wah went waaaaaaahhhhh! LOL

I've had a few moments like that over the years... Good thing you thought of it quickly!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. jguitarman

jguitarman Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2003
    No CA
    Too funny, I played a gig once and could not figure out why my tone was so crappy. The gig was almost over when I realized my Clyde Wah (also iside a pedalboard case) was on. It has a light but I didn't see it. Now I check it. Glad you like your '58 Bassman.

6. charlie chitlin

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    This amp is causing me to fall back in love with my Tele in a big way.
    I just wish it wasn't so danged heavy!

t guitar floyd likes this.
  7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Two of the best tones I've ever heard were through vintage Bassman's - and they were local players.

Duke Tumatoe's rhythm guitar player played a '55 GoldTop into a Bassman and THE local country two-step band had a guitar player who reminded me of Waylon crossed with Unknown Hinson played a mutt Tele into one.

Both textbook examples of what those guitars are supposed to sound like.

Enjoy Charlie !

8. charlie chitlin

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    This amp s forcing me to become a better (more nuanced) player.
    I'm a bit ham-fisted in the right hand department and tend to dig in quite a bit.
    From playing tweed amps, I've definitely learned how to back off or dig in because they respond so well to this; but this amp takes it to a whole different level.
    I've already begun turning the amp up more and holding the pick further from the tip (I generally have the tiniest bit protruding from between fingers) to lessen the attack, then gripping tighter or choking up to dig in.
    This thing is really a new musical instrument for me.

FiddlinJim, keithb7 and robrob like this.
  9. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    Western Canada
    I need to get my nose out of everyone else's amps and spend some time with my 60 Bassman.
    It certainly is not getting my time Charlie Chitlin.

That's it, I am not taking on any more amp repairs for some time! I need to explore the wonders you describe of a tweed Bassman.

10. charlie chitlin

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    I no longer live somewhere I can crank amps, so I only get to experiment at gigs and rehearsal.
    I may have to haul the Bassman, BadAssMan and BFSR over to the rehearsal space and do some experimenting.
    My latest finding on the Bassman is that the channels aren't as interactive as my 5E3.
    On the Deluxe, when plug into the Inst channel, there's a sweet spot between 8.5-9.5 in the Mic channel...much more subtle on the Bassman. So subtle, in fact, there's no point in bothering.
    And I was never much of a fan of the sound from jumpering channels...and that's still the case.
    I also often questioned the wisdom of taking a great tube amp and putting solid state pedals in front of it, especially for overdrive...I thought "great pedal platform" was just some crap people say when they're selling amps...but my oddball OD pedals sound REALLY good with this amp.
    I'm still thrilled at the sounds I get even at moderate volume...around 4.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.