Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NAD 1979 Pricecton Reverb

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Flash1909, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

Sep 26, 2009
    Winchester, Va.
    I have a '79 Princeton Reverb. It is fabulous... It has everything Fender..... It uses a 5U4 Rectifier tube, which is good,... because the earliest of the Princeton Revs used the GZ-34, aka 5AR4, which are 'much more' expensive as NOS. The old USA made 5U4's are still cheap, and last 'forever'. They sound the best in my amp. Very Bluesy..

2. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Meister

Mar 2, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Haha, just telling my story. The most important part of that story is that the amp hadn't been used in 10 years or more. I think that's key. If the amps been played with no issues, by all means fire it up.

I just had the same thing happen with a 70's Vibro Champ. Except it wasn't me who blew up the capacitor. I could just tell when the amp was on that something was very wrong. Opened it up, and sure enough one of the caps had exploded all over the chassis.

It happens.

3. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    Yeah, things happen - but to convince a guy to take his amp to one of the most expensive techs in NYC instead of just turning it on to see what happens? There is a 99.9 percent chance that the amp is OK.

At the end of the day, its just an amp - great sounding though it is, its not even particularly collectible.

Mike

4. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Meister

Mar 2, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Fair enough, I didn't mean to come across as alarmist.

I think my point is fair too, though. 40-50 year old amps generally could use some maintenance. If you are going to get the maintenance done at some point anyway, do it right away, rather than risk making the maintenance more expensive, or ruining more original components.

As my amp tech says "Now you have a new old amp".

5. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    I certainly wouldn't turn it on. I love hear where that "99.9% chance..." was found - because in my experience it's absolutely wrong.

I've had to repair too many amps that either were very old/had original parts or had older parts and had been stored for years. Fender tweeds, BF & SF amps, Mashalls, Peaveys either bought by not-real-knowedgable collectors who couldn't resist firing them up or players that didn't know what happens to old unused filter caps. Quite a few transformers were blown (and with tweeds, BF's and other collector's models a replacement transformer has an even larger affect on resale value than repair cost.) after anything from a few hours to a few minutes of playing.

Lots of people have gotten lucky with amps 50 or 60 years old that have original parts. But after seeing so many problems with stored amps IMO it's not worth taking a chance. I think it's a good thing to warn those who may not know.

6. Flash1909

Flash1909 Tele-Meister

Mar 11, 2015
    USA
    Blackie will have the amp tomorrow
    then I think it will be home in 4-6 weeks.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.