Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

NAD 1979 Pricecton Reverb

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Flash1909, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Flash1909

Flash1909 Tele-Meister

Mar 11, 2015
    USA
    strange set of Tubes
    [​IMG]

2. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Very. Step 1 for me would be getting a new line-up in there. For sure the power tubes.

SnidelyWhiplash and Dan R like this.

3. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Holic Ad Free + Supporter

Jan 29, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    There you go. I'm sure either place would be happy and qualified to make sure that beauty has seaworthy filter caps (and whatever else is required). That would be the first step I would take. I bet they could also fix you up with a decent set of tubes if you want to go the expeditious one-stop-shop route. Have a great time with it (after you get it serviced) - it should serve you well for a long time!

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2012
    South Jersey
    TubeDepot.com has done me and my PR right.

6. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    OK, that tells me...as those power tubes are not matched and are very random..that it absolutely should be checked out before even turning it on.

When I encounter things like that most of the time the amp has never been serviced, or only single things have been done, or weird mods have occurred. I'd bet $20 the tubes were installed without a thought of checking the bias. In reality, most tube amp owners are not as educated as ones on this forum and don't know what to do. I've fixed a lot of amps for players who were absolutely clueless - not really their fault, although you'd think with all the info in guitar mags and on the internet they would have stumbled on something.

Dan R likes this.

7. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    OK, OK, you seem to be going a VERY long way just to be contrarian. I never said he shouldn't have it checked out - eventually. I meant to test the tubes to see if they werent blown - if the amp sounds normal the caps (and resistors) are probably fine - despite the pollyanna warnings.

See Uncle Doug - he confirms this. Tube circuits are very forgiving - turning it on isnt going to blow it up - which is the specific question that the OP asked - should he "have it checked before even firing it up."

BTW: Mr SilverFace - I am still looking for you to answer the question I asked you in the Holland amp thread, 7 years ago :cry:

Mike

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017

8. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2009
    georgia
    Don't worry so much about the tubes. Lots of "voodoo" in testers. Your amp is the best tester. It's where the rubber meets the road.
    Told the wife when I go, pull the gold out of my teeth and stick my strat, 5f1 champ and PR in there with me.

SnidelyWhiplash and robrob like this.

9. Silverface

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    I'm not being "contrarian". I hate seeing people end up spending money needlessly - and, respectfully, your comment above is wrong.

There is NO way you can determine whether filter caps are bad from the sound of the amp. Certain noises can indicate the caps are bad, but lack of them and good sound does not indicate caps are good - and if one blows it can cause an expensive repair.

It's simply a matter of using caution, and understanding what parts can't always be judged by the sound alone.

robrob and E5RSY like this.

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

11. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    My last comment: you are putting words in my mouth AGAIN, to make your overblown points about your "better safe than sorry" amp repair philosophy - which I actually dont dissagree with.

AGAIN, the PO asked did he need to have the amp checked before even trying it - my responses were meant to answer that question.

I never said that the caps are proved good because they arent causing overtones etc. After 40 years of fixing and modding amps, the ONLY cap I have ever had to "blow" was one that I put in backwards when I first started modding :) Since then I have built stereo amps with B+ as high as 1200V and have never seen another cap "blow" - i.e., instantly go from working to being an open circuit or dead short. Most caps (AFAIK) break down slowly.

On the other hand, a tube can blow suddenly taking out other "expensive" components. Which is why your negative comment on tube testing is patently ridiculous - especially when the point is to test the tubes to be sure that they arent the source of any unusual noises.

unintimidated debate mode off... Mike

12. Silverface

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    So you're telling us you didn't say this?

You mean this? You didn't use the quote system so I didn't catch it:

"PS: Silverface, did you ever try a 3amp rectifier on the Jimi, like a 5U4?"

Yes. I use a 5Y3, 5U4, 5AR4 or Weber copper-top depending on what power tubes I am using and what sound I want.

Nothing I'm saying is "overblown". As stated I feel it's best to use caution so money isn't spent unnecessarily if there's a cap failure. It's an old amp with unknown service status. You think it's OK to not have it checked out and are stating it strongly with "probably" - and there's no way you can back up your state,ent factually,.

The OP can make up his own mind.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017

13. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston
    Nice amp - congrats! I have a 79 as well, and with an Eminence Copperhead, it is a loud little bugger. If you have some concerns, by all means it's smart to take it to a tech. One thing to make sure of is that you have the correct rectifier tube as that has changed over the years.

14. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Meister

Mar 2, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    You've probably already turned the amp on, but I'd like to lend some credence to what Silverface is saying.

Last year I went to check out a 67/68 SF Bassman. The seller didn't play guitar, and admitted the amp hadn't been on in 10 years. I had a bit of experience, and had a hunch that I might do damage, but I didn't want to buy the amp without turning it on and trying it.
    So I went over, tried it out for about 10-15 minutes before *poof* - a filter cap exploded. I was lucky I didn't do further damage to the transformer, but it did make the rebuild a little more complicated.

15. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Congrats to the OP (and Coop). I have a '79 Non-Reverb Princeton and I love it too but my question concerns all of us :

Has anyone with this era's MDF boat anchor cab, transplanted their speaker and chassis into a lighter, aftermarket finger-jointed pine cab with proper baffle ? (archiving the lovely particle board original in a closet of course)

And if so - is there a noticeable difference in tone ?

I know there would be in terms of weight...:lol:

16. Flash1909

Flash1909 Tele-Meister

Mar 11, 2015
    USA
    Philips 5Y3 WGTA
    USA

17. Flash1909

Flash1909 Tele-Meister

Mar 11, 2015
    USA
    I have not powered it up yet.
    I talked to Blackie Pagano, today
    so that's were it's going to be checked out/serviced
    http://www.blackiepagano.com/category/press/
    4 week turn around, but I will be out of town in 4 weeks so someday I will get it

If it sounds as good as this I will be happy

AlbertaGriff likes this.

18. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston
    I've played MDF and non-MDF Champs and Deluxe Reverbs side by side, and not heard a huge difference. Speakers and tubes are much bigger factors IMO. But yeah, there's a considerable weight difference. I'm always surprised at how heavy that 79 PR is.

19. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Blackie is sort of an enigmatic, yet legendary character on the NYC scene.
    He knows his stuff.
    If you absolutely HAVE to fire that amp up before getting it serviced, make sure you have the proper fuse and make a simple lightbulb limiter.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.

20. BopT

BopT Tele-Afflicted

Feb 6, 2011
    Chicago
    Checking the fuse before turning on is paramount to keep the amp in one piece. I would take it to a tech to checkout asap.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.

21. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    OK, OK I give. Anything is possible. Turning on an amp might cause a jet plane to crash into your house.

An unformed cap can explode - but after 60 yrs it has never happened to me and I have amps from the 40's and 50's with all original parts.

Congrats - you have successfully made the OP so paranoid that he is scared to turn his amp on :)

TRULY my last word on this

YOur pal - Mike

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.