Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NAD 1979 Pricecton Reverb

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Flash1909, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Flash1909

Flash1909 Tele-Meister

Mar 11, 2015
    USA
    Should I have it checked out before I fire it up?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2009
    georgia
    Congrats. You just purchased the end all amp IMHO.

mgreene and Flash1909 like this.

3. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    Looks good from here :)

If you dont have a tube tester and want to be careful - open it up and if nothing looks burned or smells funny - turn it on and if it lights up and doesnt make any unusual sounds - go to town.

The bias on the ones I have was dead on - as set from the factory.

I assumed that the seller said it was working? If so, typically the only possible problem would be caps (hum or ghost notes) or bad tubes.

Usually the sockets need to be retentioned in these - if you dont know the safety protocols have it done for you.

MIke

4. Flash1909

Flash1909 Tele-Meister

Mar 11, 2015
    USA
    Seller said it sound Great
    for what that's worth

asnarski likes this.

5. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    Alnico - great minds think alike :)

My opinion too :D

6. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    Well - as I said above. I dont see any reason to be overly cautious. I have never had an amp blow up just by turning it on - YMMV :lol:

7. Flash1909

Flash1909 Tele-Meister

Mar 11, 2015
    USA
    Not sure about the speaker?
    [​IMG]

8. Flash1909

Flash1909 Tele-Meister

Mar 11, 2015
    USA

9. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2012
    South Jersey
    Congrats on a great amp!

That little dude is over 40 years old.
    I would definitely take it to the Amp Doctor ASAP, just for peace of mind.

My PR is a 67. I take it in every 2 years, weather it needs it or not, just cause it's old, and I love it, and I want to continue to use it for a very long time.
    Usually, he finds a resistor or two that are going bad, just little things. My resistors are 50 years old. They can't last forever.
    It's money well spent.

10. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    Run the speaker number thru google - it looks like a ceramic CTS but is hard to see. I am LOVING the Eminence Copperhead in this amp.

mRtINY and OlRedNeckHippy like this.

11. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    BTW - that tattered tolex can be glued down real easy. Go to Home Depot and get the smallest bottle of contact cement; ~$5. Put a dab on the tear and one on the cab. Let it dry per the instructions and press it on. The tears on mine are now undetectable.

Mike

12. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2009
    georgia
    A little tip. My voltages were way high in mine so I dropped in a 5v4 rectifier and it put them dead on spec. Also, same here with bias. I tried mine with 3 different matched sets, new and NOS. it came in dead on without changing anything.

sudogeek and mgreene like this.

13. you guys are killing me! ;)

NICE amp.... BTW

alnicopu likes this.

14. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    It's an Oxford. Great speakers, despite the bad rep the later 12"-and-up models get. They never changed the 10" models, so they're always desirable. I have four of them in a Super Reverb.

15. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    looks Good !!

Have fun with the new amp !!

16. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    FWIW I've repaired at least a dozen that have, some stored for a long time - and some just purchased. If you don't know how to check an amp out yourself any tube amp over 10 years old *should* be checked out - any over 20 absolutely. Again, if an older amp has been stored for long periods of time it's more likely to have crystallized filter caps. If one blows you can lose a transformer - both an expensive repair and a repair that devalues the amp.

It's just not worth NOT being cautious.

Also, a tube tester is pretty useless for guitar amp tubes. Used ones you can find do not hit the tubes with plate voltages used in guitar amps - power tubes only get 185VDC max. It's simply not enough to stress the tubes like a guitar amp and it's impossible to use one to judge how good tubes are - or to try to match them.

Also, unless a tube tester has been calibrated fairly recently it is very unreliable. Well-know guitar tube sellers use custom-built or extremely expensive, high-voltage testers - not the kind you can find an electronics swap meet or eBay.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    asnarski, OlRedNeckHippy and Dan R like this.

17. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    Silverface has tons of knowledge and experience. I'd take his advice. Once you get things right, you will have a top flight amp that has been a standard for decades. As I've said before, it's tough to beat a Princeton Reverb.

18. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    Love the amp, enjoy it.

19. BopT

BopT Tele-Afflicted

Feb 6, 2011
    Chicago
    Just a great amp in the evolution of amps it walks upright!

alnicopu likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.