Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NAD - 1966 Ampeg GS-12R

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by -Hawk-, Sep 21, 2017.

1. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Believe it or not, Fliptops is selling that diamond covering! It's expensive though - $35 a square yard. Couple that with the fact I have absolutely no experience with doing a job like that and I'm understandably hesitant. I'm sure I'll get bored one day and tackle it though.

Update from last night - broke the amp. Oops! I couldn't help but at least play it a little on low volume. About 10 minutes in all the sound went away. Stayed powered up, but just the faintest of sounds with volume up. No smells or smoke. Unplugged and put it away. It's getting serviced anyway, so no huge deal. I was hoping for a little more time to scratch my itch, but oh well. Think it's going in tomorrow.

2. powerwagonjohn

powerwagonjohn Tele-Meister

Apr 30, 2013
    minnesota
    I have a 1966 Gemini II and I agree these are special amps. They have a great tone that is completely different than any of my other amps. I bought it to see what everyone was talking about with these Ampegs. I doubt I could part with it now that I have played it for a while. It took me a bit to learn and really appreciate this amp. As for the reverb I would get it working, my Gemini has a very lush reverb that is very different to even my 1964 Fender Reverb unit. I now know I need both! As for the speaker my Gemini had a reconed original Jensen Concert speaker but with a thick heavy cone. I replaced it with a JBL D130F and it was like night and day. I think your really going to enjoy your new amp. Thanks John

3. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    Nice. I love old Ampegs.

4. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Meister

May 20, 2014
    Queens
    Hope the iron is ok. At least you didn't pay collector prices for a player's amp.

I really like old Ampegs, especially the James/Baxandall tone controls. The C. Rex may work ok, depends on what you're going for, sound wise. The Weber/Warehouse/Eminence "American" voiced speakers would probably be a little closer to what's in there now.

Good luck! Hope the tech gets it back running great for not too many bucks.

-Hawk- likes this.

5. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    We'll find out! Dropped it off yesterday and figure it'll take a couple weeks. I let him source the parts, so he may have to order them. I gave him a list of things to change/check and also asked him to get the chassis in there a little better.

6. WineCaster

WineCaster Tele-Meister

Jul 12, 2012
    Oshkosh, Wisconsin
    This is a timely thread. As I mentioned I just scored one of these too. Mine has been used and abused but she's got character. I haven't fired it up yet-- waiting for a 3-prong cord, capacitors, and some other necessities. High hopes for this impulse buy! Looking forward to your progress, hopefully your tech keeps you in the loop.
    IMG_1052.JPG

jimytheassassin and -Hawk- like this.

7. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Very cool! Let me know what you think after it gets back to you.

8. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Well, good news and bad news.

Bad news: amp tech is still waiting on a couple parts.

Good news: filter caps were indeed changed prior to my purchase and the lack of sound was due to a loose lead on the speakers. The can cap was left in place and the new caps put into the chassis.

Still planning on having him change out the various resistors and caps discussed earlier. Hoping to have it home next week in time for a couple different rehearsals.

jimytheassassin likes this.

9. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Arrgggh. 5+ weeks later and I finally have my amp back. I've successfully been annoyed by 2/3 of the amp techs in my area. One left to try next time. Good news is that I came in appx $100 under budget for the work. Also, it seems like the work was done well. Just so sloooooooooooow.

Amp sounds very good clean. Full and rich. Certainly gives depth to thinner sounding guitars like a Strat. Really beautiful.

He tested the power tubes and they were good (originals I believe), but the 12AX7's were done and replaced with JJ's.

Not sure I love the cranked sound (3 o'clock) as much as I did during the short time I tried it. Seems like there is more headroom and it's a bit harsher, but could be my imagination. I may try a few preamp tubes and am open to suggestions. I wouldn't mind if it broke up at noon really. Doubt I'll ever get to play it loud enough to crunch at gigs.

The verb is intense! Definitely have to use it in small doses as the volume increases.

Next step is replacing the handle and scrubbing the tolex. I'll be able to take it to rehearsal next week for my 60's rock band.

10. WineCaster

WineCaster Tele-Meister

Jul 12, 2012
    Oshkosh, Wisconsin
    Glad to hear you’re getting along with it nicely. I put new JJ power tubes in mine and it really brought on a harder, higher pitched tone to the amp which seemed to be more present when driven to breakup. The vintage tubes that I had in it (GE and Sylvania) made the drive section sound extremely pleasing and smooth. I listed them on Reverb to make up a couple bucks to afford new preamps but it’s all part of the fun.

11. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Yea it's quite harsh at the moment. Almost unusable past 11 o'clock with humbuckers. Handles the single coils well past that, but it's not really pleasing when turned up.

Reality is I'll probably not play it at that volume anyway, but I'm going to try to tweak it anyway.

May swap a speaker too. I've got no clue what is in there.

12. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Meister

May 20, 2014
    Queens
    The JJ 12AX7 is not my first choice for new production tubes. I like the sound of EHX and Tung-Sol branded 12AX7s in my push-pull 7591-tubed amp.

Then again, I am using the JJ 7591 power tubes at the moment, so consider this internet comment for what it costs.

13. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    I'll probably try a few out - ideally something known for smooth overdrive. Now to wade through the glut of (often contradictory) info out there on tubes.

Part of me wonders about the speaker though and I have a viable replacement sitting around. I actually pulled the back off the amp last night and found all the nuts on the existing speaker were loose. Tightened them up, but couldn't really turn it up to see the difference at volume. Not sure what affect that would have anyway? Tried again to see what was actually in there, but all there is is a small sticker with some numbers I don't recognize.

Regardless, the volume I'll play it at sounds super. What I noticed is just the depth it provides a single coil. Thick and rich sound from even low output pickups. It handles a couple of my pedals nicely too. The fullness makes me wonder about the speaker being the problem. Maybe it just farts out since it struggles with HB's.

14. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    Definitely worth trying a different speaker, of course that's a pain with an Ampeg because they're hard wired. If I had to guess at the OEM speaker in that one I'd guess CTS alnico and pretty inefficient. Only a guess and it might not be still be OEM.
    Tech did change the filter cap can right?
    Some don't if they look ok and test fine with a 9 volt tester. Unfortunately they cause farty bass long before they look bad or test bad on a worthless 9 volt tester.

15. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    It's not the stock speaker. I do know that about it, but that's about it!

Yep all the filter caps have been changed thankfully. Cap can is actually just there for looks now. They put everything up top.

BobbyZ likes this.

16. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Well - project complete! First a few before/after pics. As you can see, there are some cosmetic things that a scrub brush can't fix, but that's mojo right? Side note - blue diamond tolex is a pain the butt to clean.

Before

IMG_4589.JPG

IMG_4727.JPG

IMG_4590.JPG

After

IMG_4733.JPG

IMG_4735.JPG

IMG_4736.JPG

IMG_4739.JPG

IMG_4740.JPG

The speaker was an Eminence 55-750 and I'm not convinced it was even meant to be a a guitar amp speaker. Putting in Cannabis Rex was an immediate, massive improvement. No more gross sound at higher volumes, more present, more volume, more goodness in general. Made a video but the mic was clipping and it's pretty worthless.

jimytheassassin and BobbyZ like this.

17. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Hell might as well post the video. Sorry, but it's called a Reverberocket, so you can't judge me for using reverb. As usual, I got a case of play-on-demand brain freeze. Just like a guitar store - feel free to snicker

18. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    First true outing last night with one of my bands. This is a louder six piece with way too many guitars. 60's-70's rock.

Took me a minute to get it dialed in, which is expected going from basement to band. Found I wanted a little more bass response and ended up with that set around 2 o'clock. Treble around noon. Volume at 11 o'clock and reverb to tastes. Played my newer Roadhouse Strat.

Hung in there beautifully. Surprise of the night was that I liked it most with a Naga Viper boost. Just pushed it over the top and brought out a delightful crunch. Very present and plenty of punch for solos. It handles the MIAB pedal I use for songs that need that sound as well, but I really preferred the boost.

Seems to run pretty hot. Control plate was a little more than warm to the touch. Not hot-hot, but definitely noticeable.

As for the intangibles, I definitely felt cooler than normal.

19. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Meister

May 20, 2014
    Queens
    Sounds great! The treble and bass controls on these Ampegs work differently than the Fender/Marshall/Vox, don’t be surprised if the knobs wind up in places you wouldn’t expect.

-Hawk- likes this.

20. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    That's good to know, because I definitely didn't expect to have the bass where I ended up with it set. I almost wondered if something was wrong with either my ears or the amp. I like a little thump though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.