Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

N(U)GD! A Sweet Surprise

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by dalandan, Feb 25, 2012.

1. dalandan

dalandan Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2008
    Jamaica
    New Used Guitar Day (long overdue)!

A little less than a year ago, I went to Singapore to go sight-seeing and watch a Joe Bonamassa concert. I was able to go through all the guitar stores there and I played almost every guitar/amp/pedal they had in the country.

I loved the El Cap delay, some CMATMODS stuff, etc. But I ultimately came home with some bargain deals. The boutique stuff came in the form of a rare Maxon TOD9 and a couple more pedals.

Anyway, I also bought myself my second tele - a used AV52RI. This was bought in the States used. Apparently the owner was an aficionado and tweaked the guit to be a real player. I basically bought her for something like $1400 US. Seemed like a good price for a used guitar of that quality.

I opened her up finally to see what was under the hood. When I first bought her, I noticed a lot of things were not stock. The pickguard was bakelite, the knobs were all heavy knurled, the wire was cloth, pots were new CTS, philips adjustment screws were added to the neck pickup, and I had the back of the neck slightly sanded.

Just today I opened the pickguard and bridge to see what pickups I had inside. I always thought they were stock Fender OVs. You could even hear me praise them. About a dozen people that I've played with for the last few months have asked about the pickups in this thing and all I could say was that I don't know, they must be stock. Lo and behold, I see something engraved under the pickup that read DON MARE. Under the bakelite pickguard was also his "the 53" pickup with an autograph on the guard.

I'm quite lucky! I got a steal for all the upgrades in it. It also is moderately light and resonates well. Can't wait to put a few more years of playing in her. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  2. dalandan

dalandan Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2008
    Jamaica
    BTW, the bridge pickup was a Don Mare 3 Speed Sting Ray. The "ZZ Top" tap is the one currently in use. Although I'm considering hooking up the Nancy tap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  3. jimmynumber9

jimmynumber9 Tele-Afflicted

May 26, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Wow. These are things you only hear stories of, but they never really happen. Good buy, you lucky guy!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. dalandan

dalandan Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2008
    Jamaica
    Pics coming soon. I almost didn't buy this guitar because I thought he was selling me a CIJ for the price of a brand new MIA!

6. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 24, 2006
    Fort Worth,Tx.
  7. electrablue

electrablue Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 18, 2004
    North Carolina
  8. dalandan

dalandan Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2008
    Jamaica
    Thanks, everyone. I feel good about my purchase. I may have to visit the store and buy a few more things to thank them. lol.

Pictures are up and I hope to post sound clips soon too.

9. cayle

cayle TDPRI Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Philippines
    I knew the username looked familiar. Congrats on that score!

10. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Sweet.. love me 52..

11. dalandan

dalandan Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2008
    Jamaica
    hey cayle. i don't go to the local forums as much anymore. no time to go shopping.

thanks everyone. Now I know why people have "happy" NGDs.

12. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Aug 13, 2007
    ME
    Excellent - congrats!

13. dalandan

dalandan Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2008
    Jamaica
    Hey just wanted to let you know she's a 99 model with an F Perez neck. Just found out this week after the annual check up.

14. GDL629

GDL629 Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Outstanding! Glad that you found such a killer Tele!

15. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Tele-Afflicted

Jun 16, 2009
    austin texas
    Nice...she looks like she has a good vibe.Those 52 reissues are great guitars...especially the lighter weight ones.

16. rsclosson

rsclosson Tele-Afflicted

Sep 29, 2010
    Tallahassee FL
    Congrats! Sure is purdy!

17. jgeltchy

jgeltchy TDPRI Member

Nov 1, 2012
    indonesia
    Nice. I also love looking at the guitr shops in singapore. Did you see those custom shop esps. Amazinggg!!! Singaporeans are so friendly and helpful especially in all the guitar shops. They dont care if you look around at every guitar and than walk out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.