Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Mystery P-bass special finish.....thoughts?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by superbadj, Jan 4, 2009.

1. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 26, 2008
    roanoke, va
    So, I decided to start the process of refinishing my fender P-bass special.

I want to go from the current flat black finish:

[​IMG]

To more of this color: pale sonic blue with a parchment or mint p/g, like this the 60's classic player strat:

[​IMG]

I had noticed this dent in the past, and it made me wonder if this was actually an owner-refinished bass. It's hard to see here, but there are layers of red and/or gold under the black:

[​IMG]

So I decided to get started this afternoon. I'm sick, and bored, so here's the body with the guts removed.

[​IMG]

2. superbadj

Mar 26, 2008
    roanoke, va
    So I noticed the extra colors around the sticker on the inside of the guitar's p-bass route:

[​IMG]

Here you can see the neck pocket. The wood is softer than I would have guessed. And you can't see it here, but at the very top of the neck pocket, the paint/finish is slightly separated from the wood. Kinda makes me wonder if I just paint over it, whether or not it'll flake off at some point.

[​IMG]

Again, in the wiring route, you can see layers of color. I understand that sometimes in the factory, if a finish is bad, they'll just paint over it in a new color. I've done some reading on line, and apparently this flat black finish was a short-run finish of some sort. So it's either that or an owner-refinish.

[​IMG]

So I decided to see if straight-up paint thinner would do anything. If it DIDN'T have a layer of poly on it (if it's a half-assed owner refinish) then the paint stripper would do its magic.

[​IMG]

However, after 40 minutes, it did nothing. So it's likely a poly-finish, and probably factory.

Does this look like a normal fender body? The little round "dent" on the face of the body, on teh lower bout....I've never seen that before. It has no wiring rout coming out of it, so I'm not sure what its purpose is.

Also, does everything else look kosher? I'd consider buying a new/raw body and finishing it myself, but it's hard to find p-bass special bodies (p/j pickups, jazz neck, p-bass body shape).

So far, so interesting.

3. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    Have you thought about trying a heat gun and a wide putty knife?

4. superbadj

Mar 26, 2008
    roanoke, va
    yeah, i've just read nightmares about heat guns. People burning their bodies to a crisp, and in the end, saying it wasn't worth the effort.

As for my work so far, the paint stripper did absolutely nothing. Nada. Zilch.

So it's obviously a poly finish, and I can only assume, a factory finish.

Just seems odd to have the red and gold below the black.

I doubt I'll do more than just roughing up the body, fixing that one dent/hole, and then painting a thin white primer coat before doing the pale sonic blue.

5. dr. love

dr. love Tele-Meister

Nov 22, 2007
    Lubbock, TX
    I have seen the circular hole/dent on the lower horn on a couple MIM basses, so that is a factory route, what it is for though, I have no idea.

I can't remember ever seeing a flat poly factory finish (but that doesn't mean anything), could it be a normal factory finish that was just sanded down a bit to remove the gloss? It would definitely be poly then and might also explain the finish damage in the neck pocket.

just guessing here...

6. superbadj

Mar 26, 2008
    roanoke, va
    Hmmm.....interesting.

It didn't look like a sanded finish, and like I said, I did find a few references to a FSR flat black finish on these precision specials, but there were so few references it's hard to be sure.

Good to know that one circular dimple is typical for MIM fenders (this one is MIM). I was curious about that.

Well like I said, I guess I'll just rough her up and paint over it. I was just hoping to get closer to the wood layer, mainly so that there aren't tons of layers on top of it!

7. mkhhunt

mkhhunt Tele-Meister

I just peeled off a really thick and nasty flat black finish off a tele body using a heat gun and it was way better than sanding all that goo off.

I was just careful not to set myself or the dogs on fire.

I found keeping the scraper clean was the worst chore, but if I heated just in front of the scraper the old finish rolled off pretty well.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/139160-my-first-trash-caster.html#post1589399

Sanding was still required, but not anywhere as much.

8. superbadj

Mar 26, 2008
    roanoke, va
    yeah, probably so. Just wondering if it's really worth the trouble to try to get it to (or close to) the wood, or just paint over what I have.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.