Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

My wife hates Son Volt!

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by mnutz, Oct 4, 2017.

1. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2012
    Troy, MO
    Jayhawks! Now there's some distinctive singing (and some distinctive Gary Louris lead playing--also found on Tupelo's "Still Feel Gone"). "Tomorrow the Green Grass" is a cool album too.

And man, Cary Hudson/Blue Mountain..saw those guys at the Hi-Pointe in St. Louis, I think around '97? That was a hell of a show. Hudson could really whang on that Bigsby-equipped Les Paul; he got all kinds of tones out of it, some of which sounded kind of Fendery. I couldn't see if he had pedals or not, and my memory of his amp is vague but for some reason I'm thinking blackface super reverb. He was pretty loud.

Laurie Stirratt had one of the larger Fender SS bass combos and had the perfect foundation sort of bass tone for what they were doing. You could feel it alot and hear it just enough.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    David Barnett and mnutz like this.

2. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Jay Farrar never met a hook he couldn't avoid.

Tweedy tried harder and has more talent.

Uncle Tupelo was fine but I had heard all the stuff that influenced them before I heard them.

mnutz likes this.

3. telecastertodd

telecastertodd Tele-Meister

Dec 9, 2015
    Out West
    My wife is pleasantly tolerant.

Jay does climb up and down through notes/melodies in an unusual way that can grind on some people, I bet.

As for lyrics, I'd say he's a true American poet.

Knowing I'm a huge fan, she surprised me on my 40th and bought me and several friends tickets to see Jay Farrar & Ben Gibbard on their team-up "One Fast Move or I'm Gone" tour. It was a great show at Bimbo's 365 in San Fran. She even joined us!

I'm not sure who said it or where I heard it, but someone once said, "Americana is a bunch of middle aged men sitting around wondering why no one else likes their music." There's some ring of truth there.

That said, if you can find the rare girl who likes any of the above mentioned bands, she might be marriage material.

Then again, at our age, it's probably too late for that on both ends.

mnutz likes this.

4. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Holic

Sep 20, 2011
    Sacramento
    I like just about everything else in the genre, and I want to like Son Volt too, but I just can't abide Jay's voice.

mnutz likes this.

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Your wife hates Son Volt?

My son hates Mama Cass.

mnutz likes this.

6. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    That's me. Son Volt and Wilco, the two bands I ought to love and can't stand. The Dylan-inspired "anyone can sing" thing should only be taken so far...

mnutz likes this.

7. Lonn

Lonn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    My wife likes pretty much 0% of the music I like.

mnutz likes this.

8. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    THIS is where that thread came from! :lol:

I'm not a giant fan, but I do kinda like this stuff. I have 1 Son Volt record, one Uncle Tupelo, a couple Ryan Adams records. My complaint about Whiskeytown is that every dam song is about alcohol.

mnutz likes this.

9. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana
    So does mine.
    I really like some of their tunes. So much so that I created a Son Volt station on my Pandora account. Having said that, sometimes the songs all sound the same.

mnutz likes this.

10. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

Whiskeytown played at my former place of work once. It was the lineup with Ed eDFROMOHIO Crawford on guitar. My impression of Adams at the time was "how can anyone that young be so jaded?" Also he was a snotty little see you next tuesday to everyone.

I remember once in a radio interview on NPR's Fresh Aire, Teri Gross asked him if he ever suffered from writer's block, his response was "My muse never leaves me."

BuckSatan and mnutz like this.

11. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Switching over to AM
    Searching for a truer sound
    Can't recall the call letters
    Steel guitar and settle down

Listening to an all-night station
    Somewhere in Louisiana
    Sounds like 1963
    But for now it sounds like heaven

That's golden. There may be Lyricists as good as Jay, but there aren't any better imo..

12. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 21, 2006
    Vienna, Austria
    "Windfall" is one of the greates songs ever written, absolutely on par with anything by Dylan or Townes Van Zandt.

13. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2009
    georgia
    I saw those guys 20+ years ago in Atlanta. Right after the Trace Album came out.

mnutz and BuckSatan like this.

14. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Kent, OH
    When I was in grad school, a former student of the prof I was working with made me listen to a bunch of punk music and Son Volt on way from Kent, OH to St. Cloud, Minnesota (where we were collecting rock samples for radiometric dating purposes). He said it was a guilty pleasure (the Son Volt).

So I still like listening every once in while, takes me back to driving long distance with someone who I barely knew, but had a common interest with...And there wasn't really anything else to worry or think about other than looking at rocks.

mnutz likes this.

15. Mississippi_Kid

Mississippi_Kid Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2016
    Hinterlands, USA

Wow! You just picked my absolute favorite lines...great minds...

RomanS, mnutz and Wyzsard like this.

16. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jan 24, 2011
    Colorado
    Yeah! Who else did I leave out?

mnutz likes this.

17. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

Yep! One of my favorite lyrics ever!

RomanS and Wyzsard like this.

18. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Tele-Afflicted

May 5, 2015
    Alaska

I think most everyone agrees, including Ryan Adams if his interviews are to be believed, that he was a douche in his younger days. I still love Whiskeytown and quite a lot of his older solo stuff. He's just not getting a Christmas card from us. Ha, that'll show 'em.

mnutz likes this.

19. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    If I let that sort of thing bother me, I wouldn't listen to ANY music. I know where the Stones copped all their licks/moves, but that doesn't mean they don't do it well.

My complaint about Whiskeytown is that every single song is just one big cliche'. How many cliches can you pack into a single song? Not as many as Ryan Adams. Not unless you're Jon Bon Jovi, anyway- that guy is the cliche king. If Jay Farrar is a poet, Adams is the guy who puts "pull tab to open" on beer cans.

David Barnett, JuneauMike and mnutz like this.

20. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Holic

Apr 5, 2010
    Evergreen, CO
    I don't know if my wife likes Son Volt, but she does like Wilco, Lucero, and Drag the River.

Wyzsard and mnutz like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.