Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

My wife hates Son Volt!

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by mnutz, Oct 4, 2017.

1. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

You'd think so, right? But no it seems to do the opposite for her. We lived in downstate Illinois, Carbondale, for several years and it seemed to make the hate grow!

2. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'
    I'm a huge prog rock fan. Sun Volt is not my cup of tea either. Sounds pretty generic to me. But music is something that strikes everyone different, because it is a form of communication. And people like communicating about different things, in different ways. So I understand the potential appeal.

That being said, my son likes Dubstep / techno stuff, and the wife and other son like stuff along the lines of Boyz 2 Men and the acapella groups like Straight No Chaser and Pentatonix - all of whom literally drive me up a wall. I just bite my lip and deal with it.

I like a lot of the complexity and virtuosity of prog rock, along with the intricacies. But I totally get where someone wants something that is straight-ahead, and whose music invokes a specific emotional response and triggers certain memories.

mnutz likes this.

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

New thread idea: music my wife likes :rolleyes:

richiek65 and mnutz like this.

4. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

Man I was just loving all that great great gear on the ACL DVD and started thinking about all that stuff getting stolen. That's just crushing! Did they ever get any of it back?

Stolen Equipment List:

1971 Fender Precision Bass-serial #323386
    1966 Harmony Bass Guitar-serial #9924H22
    Lakland Joe Osborn Signature Bass Guitar (black)-serial #409
    Dwight Lap Steel Guitar-serial #X51514
    Fender Telecaster Electric Guitar (Natural)
    1994 Gibson Les Paul Special Electric Guitar (Red)-serial #84015499
    1993 Gibson Les Paul Special Electric Guitar (Green/black)-serial #92723403
    1974 Fender Telecaster Electric Guitar (Black)-serial #633182
    1979 Les Paul Standard Electric Guitar (Goldtop)-serial #70059561
    1995 Martin D-28 Acoustic Guitar-serial #550290
    1989 Fender Stratocaster 12-string Electric Guitar-serial #E911037
    1974 Gibson SG Standard Electric Guitar-serial #129463
    Bonanzinga Acoustic �Montgomery� Guitar-serial #90397
    1973 Fender Super Reverb Amp-serial #A56410
    1972 Ampeg SVT Bass Amp-serial #106023
    1973 Ampeg SVT Bass Cabinet-serial #53210
    1978 Peavey MK111 Bass Head-serial #2A 01236026
    1977 Marshall JCM800 Head-serial #V30670
    Mesa Boogie Maverick 2x12 Amp-serial #MV-00837
    Sovtek Mig 50 Amp
    (2) Fender Bassmand 2x12 Speaker Cabinet (one has 2 celestion 30�s)
    Bass MV10 Amplifier
    SVT Road Case
    DOD Overdrive Pedal
    DOD A-B Box
    (2) Arion Tuners
    DRT1 Digital Tuner
    (2) Ibanez P-S 9 Tube Screamer
    Arion Stereo Delay
    Horizon Selectaline A-B Box
    Boss Volume Pedal
    Whirlwind Direct Boxes

I guess that's just the guitar stuff, but more than that was stolen.

5. kubiakl

kubiakl Tele-Meister

May 9, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I had a girlfriend once say, "But he only sings five notes." We were listening to some Son Volt. I love Jay's voice and songwriting but I can see how someone may not care for the plain, Midwest storyteller style. He's not about vocal perfection, he's about an honest tune. Some want to hear the vocal perfection instead I guess. To each their own... but I didn't keep her around too long after that!

6. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Tele-Holic

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    Ugh, she's lost.

I grew up in Springfield and spend a lot of time downstate. Even did a summer internship in the Belleville area, included time in Granite City (entire city covered in orange grit) and Collinsville (awesome). I still dream about driving on Illinois roads and if I ever retire (I won't) I want to open up a little woodshop in Makanda making amp cabinets and banjo rings. If the Velvet Underground is New York, GnR is LA, Oasis is Manchester, Uncle Tupelo is definitely rural Illinois.

And I've yet to meet a woman who likes any of that music. I wonder if Jay Farrar's wife even says "Uh, yeah, it sounds .... nice, I guess?"

Matt G and mnutz like this.

7. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

Jan 24, 2011
    Colorado
    Jay Farrar sings 5 notes per album, but only two notes per song. It's sort of the opposite of the prog rock @NotAnotherHobby likes. Would you call it regrock if it's regressive?

kubiakl and mnutz like this.

8. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    Ditch her. Son Volt Trace is amazing. I’ve seen Wilco and Son Volt each about 5 times. I think Jay Farrar is the better writer. I think he should be way more popular than Sturgill Simpson and Jason Isbell. Uncle Tupelo wrote that stuff back in the 80’s!

straightface, RomanS, MickM and 3 others like this.

9. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Holic

about a year ago i went to grab my ACL Son Volt dvd from my shelves.. that's funny, where'd it go? I haven't loaned it to anyone so i keep searching.. it still hasn't turned up.. one of life's little mysteries.. maybe the wife who hasnt even heard them made a pre emptive strike?

On a side note, SV are playing here in Sydney in a couple of weeks..hmmmmm....

mnutz likes this.

10. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Tele-Holic

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    My wife's going to see Depeche mode next week at the Hollywood bowl. What does that tell you?

JuneauMike and mnutz like this.

11. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

If my Son Volt DVD disappears it will be no mystery.

richiek65 likes this.

12. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    Hell, Dylan only sings one. But his phrasing is IMPECCABLE!

Actually, I forgot. My wife digs Dylan too - I'll have to add that to the other thread...

mnutz likes this.

13. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'
    Remember when the Ramones came out ad the rock press was swooning? 30 minutes on stage and that all they needed, or something like that.

Cripes, an average Yes song has a chorus that lasts half of that time...

mnutz likes this.

14. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    I love trace and lots of his work but really do any women really like son volt??? I'd say she is normal

mnutz likes this.

15. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    Farrar is hard to understand and his melodies are boring

that said, I really like "Drown" and crank it in the car

but it's the rhythm and attitude of that tune that I like -- the other stuff is like REM without the mystery

jondanger and mnutz like this.

16. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

...Blue Mountain

17. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

I'm in. Found them about 15 years ago. Any decent length road trip, like driving from PA to Montana automatically turns into a combination road trip/Son Volt festival. My Ex would've liked them but I'm not goin' looking for her and I suggest the same.

JuneauMike and mnutz like this.

18. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

Fortunately the whole show is available on Youtube. Revenge can be yours.

I only got to see the original SV lineup once, in 1999, but it was a very good show, and it was at my place of work so I got paid to be there. Jay came back a few times for solo shows (with Mark Spencer of The Blood Oranges), and with a couple of more recent SV lineups, but that first show was magic.

19. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA

Jay does not have a great voice

mnutz likes this.

20. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Holic

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    Except me, evidently.

I wore a Son Volt shirt on our first date (I remember because she asked me who they were), and I took her to see them a few months later. Amazing gig, this was right after Trace came out. She loves Son Volt, likes Uncle Tupelo, but REALLY digs the Jayhawks. I have a couple acquaintances who've worked with them, I've stopped telling my wife about it because she always says "well then why can't YOU get a gig with the Jayhawks?"

Matt G, King Creole and mnutz like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.