Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

My wife hates Son Volt!

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by mnutz, Oct 4, 2017.

1. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

IMG_2640.JPG

My wife's at work this morning and I've got the morning off. I'm taking this opportunity to enjoy the gloriousness contained on this DVD. What a great performance from an awesome band! Great close ups of the Goldtop with Bigsby, the black tele, the double cut, the Vox, the JCM800, etc. it's like they are right there in the living room with you!

Early Son Volt, Uncle Tupelo, Two Cow Garage, Bottle Rockets, etc; this is the soundtrack of my youth. I've always been more punk rock, but I grew up way out in the country with cowboys. This is what came out of that.

My wife is a late 90s/2000s indie rocker from Chicago. We share some musical interests... but she absolutely hates Son Volt. She says Jay's voice makes her physically ill. She also says that every single one of "those" bands has a singer that sounds like the creepiest old man ever.

She tolerated it for years, but I don't listen to it around her anymore because I know it's like fingernails on a chalkboard to her. I hate that, we share so much I just hate that we can't connect on music that I enjoy so much.

She offered last week to buy us Wilco tickets. That's her trying hard. She'll tolerate Tweedy, it'll be tough but she'll get through. She'd never make it through a Son Volt show, and at this point she'd never try.

2. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2013
    DC Burbs
    I'm a big Son Volt fan BUT the couple times I saw them live in the 90s I was disappointed. Jay puts on a dull show. Or did, anyhow.

Johnson johnson and mnutz like this.

3. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    I like 'em but I totally get that some people may not.

My wife thinks they always sound kinda whiny. And Jay's voice/vocal style does tend to have that quality to it.

mnutz likes this.

4. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    My wife has different musical taste as well, so we also do the play-your-thing-while-the-other-is-out-of-the-house too.

mnutz likes this.

5. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I feel your pain.

I didn't know about the Live from Austin, Texas series of full performance DVDs. Hmm, when I get home I'll have to see if they are available on Amazon Prime/Fire

mnutz likes this.

6. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Tele-Afflicted

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    Son Volt is my go-to garage music. I love most all of their stuff, but even years later I'm still transfixed to that guitar tone from Okema. (Same thing with the Jayhawks Tomorrow the Green Grass). My wife doesn't spend much time in the garage and I'm not sure if Son Volt isn't the reason. I once called UT and all that genre "Rednecks in Repose" and that nickname stuck with her.

"My wife loves Son Volt," said no guy ever.

7. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jan 24, 2011
    Colorado
    My wife doesn't like the whiplash programming on Son Volt albums (nice acoustic songs alternate with driving punk rock). I love it. Uncle Tupelo was the greatest band in history, and I love all of Uncle Tupelo's step kids and cousins, too (Wilco, Son Volt, Loose Fur, Coffee Creek, Tweedy, Bottle Rockets, Gob Iron, solo Jay Farrar, Golden Smog).

8. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2012
    Troy, MO
    Try saying this to your wife: "What you just said does not seem rational to me." Works every time!

Man, I love Son Volt's first album, saw 'em then at Mississippi Nights in St. Louis. Good show, I thought. But to me the pinnacle of what's cool about Jay Farrar was on Uncle Tupelo's album "Still Feel Gone" (saw 'em for that one at The Blue Note in Columbia, MO).

Semi-relevant thread detour:

The opening band at that Tupelo/Blue Note show was a band from Detroit called "Goober & The Peas." They were a hilarious and their album "The Complete Works of Goober & The Peas" is worth a listen. They dressed up in super embroidered cowboy outfits, the guitarist used a Silvertone archtop and Silvertone piggyback 2 x 12 amp, and I think for one phase of their career Jack White of the White Stripes was their drummer...not sure if that was when I saw them though.

I liked how they had big trash bags full of straw on the stage, and whenever the band would take off on a fast section, Goober would spazz out and dump out the straw and kick it out into the audience's beers.

They had a later album called "The Jet Age Genius of Goober & The Peas" that is worth a listen, too.

JuneauMike and mnutz like this.

9. King Creole

Jan 24, 2011
    Colorado
    Here's some Coffee Creek (Jay Farrar, Jeff Tweedy, Brian Henneman, Mike Heidorn) for your wives to hate:

straightface and mnutz like this.

10. JuneauMike

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    That is awesomely horrible. Like they are drinking and jamming outside on my deck. Thanks man, I didn't know about Coffee Creek.

mnutz likes this.

11. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

Oh man, thanks for the memories! I had so many great times at The Blue Note in Columbia and Mississippi Nights in St. Louis!

12. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

Oh yeah I forgot about the Jayhawks. Add them to the list my wife hates too! Love those guys!

13. Mississippi_Kid

Mississippi_Kid Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2016
    Hinterlands, USA
    I really like Son Volt, but at the same time...I completely get why others would not.

What music are you trying to like that she digs?

BuckSatan and mnutz like this.

14. King Creole

Jan 24, 2011
    Colorado
    Yeah, sloppy and stoned and faking it through songs they sort of know. They played a few gigs between Uncle Tupelo tours. I have a bootleg of one and I like it a lot.

15. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

Really we agree on all music, except the aforementioned genre. The soundtrack of her youth was Smashing Pumpkins. Probably her favorites though are/were White Stripes and Strokes.

Neither of us really listen to much new music lately. She did discover The Weeks for us and I dig those guys.

Mississippi_Kid likes this.

16. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2003
    Chandler Arizona
    Hates ?

Guess I need to elaborate - I don't "Hate" anybody, maybe just their thinking or music.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    mnutz likes this.

17. hollowman

hollowman Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2006
    Kansas City
    that's hilarious, my wife hates them too. But she loves Bon Jovi, so there is all you need to know...

what is it about alt-country that most wives don't like? She doesn't like Wilco, Whiskeytown, DBT, etc.... oh yeah, I forgot, she loves Bon Jovi :)

18. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

Oh yes.

19. JuneauMike

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    The cure for that is driving four hours on downstate Illinois county roads. Do that and Uncle Tupelo suddenly makes complete sense.

David Barnett, King Creole and mnutz like this.

20. johnny k

johnny k Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2011
    France
    maybe you should try to make her listen to the beat farmers.

Johnson johnson and mnutz like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.