Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

My Warmoth Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by FenderNashville, Feb 28, 2012.

1. FenderNashville

FenderNashville Tele-Meister

Jun 27, 2006
    Idaho
    It's time to replace my Squier Custom II Tele. I've replaced the neck with a Telecaster Deluxe Neck (MIM), Lindy Fralin Pickups, and American Electrics (CTS). They have all been fantastic upgrades, but the fact remains that the body on it is agathis, which is a soft tonewood in which the body will remain passive the whole time. It's time to totally revamp all of this to where I can create a legendary instrument with a pristine P90 sound. I want something that will maximize the sustain, produce thick, but a "cutting" sound, and be the "go to" guitar for AC/DC, "The Who," or any other artist that uses P90s for a certain song.

Im in the planning phase right now for building an extremely sexy P-90 Telecaster using a Warmoth body. Here's my plan:

Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe Body (routed for P90s)
    Alder body (safest option)
    Cream front and rear binding
    Painted gloss black
    Black pickguard with white ply layer
    Vintage hardtail
    Cream knobs
    Lindy Fralin P90s (5 under/over)
    250k CTS Pots
    52 RI Neck (probably Japanese to help save money and get the American quality)

Here's a preview of how it will look:

[​IMG]

The body will cost roughly $650 (but it's including a bunch of stuff, with all of the hardware and finishes)
    A Japanese 52 RI Neck will be roughly $400.
    I have everything else. Will have it setup by an amazing luthier.

My expectation of quality would be at the very least, the American Vintage series. I would say that the guitar above would deserve a hardshell case, too! :)

Thoughts? Suggestions?

* I decided to stay away from swamp ash. Alder seems the safest option.

* I thought about going to 350k or 500k pots. Right now, I would like more high end out of my Squier Tele Custom II, and it's got 250k CTS pots. However, I'm thinking the reason is mostly because of the Agathis body and not so much the pots. I'm thinking that the same exact electronics in the guitar above would produce a brighter and more "cutting" sounds. Would I be right?

* A tremolo bridge option got my juices flowing, but then I thought that it could radically change the tone of the guitar. I've decided against, unless I can be convinced otherwise...

Here's my Tele Custom II, which will be parted out soon (and sold what I don't use...which should be the body and neck):

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  2. FenderNashville

Jun 27, 2006
    Idaho
    Running this by my luthier now. Anyone have comments?

3. FenderNashville

Jun 27, 2006
    Idaho
    I probably will be placing an order tonight with Warmoth, and ordering the pickguard from another vender since Warmoth Tele Deluxe pickguards do not support P90s.

Custom Telecaster Deluxe build Spec Sheet

Using Warmoth Body Builder

• Warmoth has confirmed that the Telecaster Deluxe Routing on their bodies will accommodate the sizing for the Lindy Fralin P90s.

• Warmoth has suggested an alternative site for the pickguard that would accommodate the Soapboar P90 pickups.

• Alder Body. Can also choose any tone wood. I’m thinking Alder so I can have something that is very balanced and warm, that can still “cut through” for leads.

• I plan on swapping out the CTS electronics (250K CTS pots) from the Squier to the new guitar. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to order new wiring. Anyone have any recommendations?

• Plan on using a Japanese 52 RI’ Neck to cut costs from an American neck, which I’m assuming will be identical quality-wise. I like the vintage frets, and I like the tinted glossy poly neck. What are your guy's thoughts?

• I plan on using Warmoth’s “Vintage Strat Flat Mount” bridge (pre drilled from warmoth) saddles.

• Should I have the 7/8” or the ¾” input jack rout? Which is standard for teles? I’m assuming the 7/8”—“ Intended for use with the Square Jack Plate, SJP1C style, or the Electro Socket, ES1C style.”

• Tele shape neck pocket with 4 bolt cutouts.

• Cream front and back binding. Gloss black finish on body.

As mentioned, I already have Lindy Fralin P90 Soapbars with Gibson leads.

Thanks for any quick help!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. BritishBluesBoy

BritishBluesBoy Doctor of Teleocity

Oct 19, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Luthier? Warmoth is doing all the real work, why not just screw it together yourself?

6. FenderNashville

Jun 27, 2006
    Idaho
    Thanks BBB. I do plan on doing much of the work myself, but my luthier can always bring the setup to a full 300% which is something I can't do myself yet..

What's your thought on the neck choice? I assume that a Japan RI neck should be a clean fit on the Warmoth body?

Any recommendations on a wiring kit for this guitar, to be fitted with the Fralins with Gibson leads?

Am I correct on going with the 7/8" input jack?

Anything else? I'm about to order about a grand worth of stuff...just wanna make sure I'm not overlooking something, ya know?

Does this build sound amazing or what?

7. DropKick74

DropKick74 Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2010
    Hastings, Michigan
    Sounds awesome. I wanna see pictures.

8. FenderNashville

Jun 27, 2006
    Idaho
    Here's what I plan on placing on order from Warmoth tonight:

Warmoth:

Custom Body

Model: TELE DELUXE
    Scale: 25-1/2 IN.
    Orientation: RIGHT HANDED $0.00
    Wood:
    Core: ALDER $175.00
    Control Cavity: TOP ROUT$0.00
    Pickup Rout: STANDARD PICKUP ROUTING$0.00
    Control Routing: NONE
    Bridge Type: HARDTAIL$0.00
    Bridge Rout: VINTAGE STRAT® FLAT MOUNT$0.00
    Jack Rout: 7/8" (22.23MM) SIDE JACK HOLE$0.00
    Neck Pocket: TELE® SHAPE$15.00
    Mounting Holes: STANDARD 4 BOLT$0.00
    Binding Top: CREAM BINDING$85.00
    Binding Bottom: CREAM BINDING$85.00
    Top Finish: BLACK GLOSS$245.00
    Back Finish: BLACK GLOSS$0.00
    Subtotal$605.00

Hardware

Bridge: STRAT FLAT MOUNT BRIDGE, VINTAGE SPACING, CHROME$40.00
    Input Jack: TELE INPUT CUP, CHROME$4.00
    String Ferrules: GUITAR STRING FERRULE, CHROME$5.04
    Subtotal$49.04

I suppose this wiring should suffice:

http://www.warmoth.com/Wiring-Kit-1-ft-ea-of-Black-Red-White-Wire-3-ft-of-Coaxial-Wire-P136C81.aspx

I'll need to find a proper three way switch on this page that work fit properly:

http://www.warmoth.com/Switches-C80.aspx

Warmoth mentioned Terrapinisland.com for a pickguard;

72 Tele® Deluxe Style Pick Guard
    Orientation - Right Handed
    Material Options - Black/Cream/Black .090 - GLOSS
    Neck Pickup - P90 - P90 Pickup - No Mount Holes
    Bridge Pickup - P90 - P90 Pickup - No Mount Holes
    Pickup Mounting Hole Options - NO Countersinks
    Pick Guard Mounting Holes - Standard Mounting Holes
    Control Options - Standard Control Layout
    Switch Options - Gibson Style Toggle Switch
    Edge Cut Options - With Beveled Edge 45 Degree

What do you guys think about countersink vs no countersink for the pickguard?

Not sure what the policy on eBay linking, but I simply plan on finding a Japan or USA 52 RI Tele neck...something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-52-..._Accessories&hash=item2c62731120#ht_920wt_903

If you guys know of a cheaper method, please let me know. Or if there's a way I can just pay a small amount for a US neck, etc. I want to get the most bang for the buck with the neck.

Consider this an assistant TDPRI community build...please give feedback! :)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  9. spook777

spook777 Tele-Meister

Apr 21, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Wow...I'm so glad I learned how to build my own bodies, cuz I'd have to sell a few of my guitars to get just the body. Have you considered sourcing any of the builders on TDPRI instead of Warmoth?

10. BritishBluesBoy

BritishBluesBoy Doctor of Teleocity

Oct 19, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Ummmm, yeah. $600 just for the body? You can do better than that... CHeck out USACG and compare prices. You may have to call Tommy over there and discuss it on the phone. They don't have as fancy a website as Warmoth but they do amazing work and are super nice guys... (very happy repeat customer here)

11. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    I am not trying to bad mouth Warmoth, but there is no way in hell I would give 600+ dollars for an alder body.

12. FenderNashville

Jun 27, 2006
    Idaho
    This is good stuff guys.

Remember, that the $600 price includes:

front and rear cream bindings ($85 a pop)
    an additional $15 expense to be fitted with a tele neck pocket...because they assume that Tele Deluxe will have a strat neck...
    And the black finish @ $245...

Do you all think that I can get something SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper and the same quality with all of the options above? I don't mind paying a little bit more, but if I'm saving let's say, over $150 more going somewhere else, then let me know!

13. sfcmark

sfcmark Tele-Meister

Apr 17, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    That body does seem a bit high for a guitar that will have very little resale value (yeah, I know...you don't ever plan to sell it....) :rolleyes:

When you're already looking at sinking a grand or more into the project, I'm not sure why you'd balk at another $100 (shipping included) for a '52 AVRI neck on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Fender...092?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item27c3a41594

14. FenderNashville

Jun 27, 2006
    Idaho
    This isn't the Hot-rod version of the neck, right? If this is the base 52 Reissue, then I'll buy it when I get home. That will give me a start....I worry because he says "medium jumbo", with (vintage style) next to it. I've always assumed that the frets were called "vintage frets" on the 52 AVRI, and the hotrod came with the medium jumbo...let me know if my thinking is wrong...because a neck will give me a start to this project...

Guys, I've looked at some prices on usacg. It doesn't appear that with the options that I want, that the pricing will be much cheaper. I'm guessing maybe $100 less.

15. PHawley

PHawley Tele-Meister

Aug 2, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    So you're saying that you'd spend an extra $100 because the website they have is nicer?

16. FenderNashville

Jun 27, 2006
    Idaho
    Somewhat.

And, the fact that I've done business with Warmoth in the past. They are awesome. They answer questions immediately, and they actually are stationed very close to where I grew up at. They've never been wrong on any recommendations that they've given me...

Sometimes, paying a little more for excellent service to get an awesome experience is worth it. There's nothing wrong with that. Nothing wrong with trying new venders either, but I'm finding that the recommended venders from this thread are not substantially cheaper. Paying $100 more to get this ongoing service, plus with seeing the results of my options dynamically really help my buying decision.

17. FenderNashville

Jun 27, 2006
    Idaho
    Neck is purchased!

Thanks sfcmark!

I've determined that it is indeed is a 52' RI neck, and not the hotrod variant. You can tell by the radius information, and also by zooming in the photo and taking a close look at the frets. They do have a typo though....it's not "Medium Jumbo (Vintage)." I just wanted to make absolutely sure!

18. sfcmark

sfcmark Tele-Meister

Apr 17, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    Cool...glad it helped. It just seemed with the amount you're dropping on that body :)shock:) that the JVRI neck was false economy.

You owe us pictures when that body comes in. :D

19. FenderNashville

Jun 27, 2006
    Idaho
  20. FenderNashville

Jun 27, 2006
    Idaho
    Guys, I need some quick help. This is basically the last uncertainty I have:

I'm wanting to use the "La Burrito Bridge" from here:

http://ruttersguitars.com/Hot_Rod_Parts.html

It's the only bridge that has 3 mounting screws...the rest are the vintage 4 screws mount.

“La Burrito Bridge" $90.00 ea.
    Made to exact dimensions as the "American Standard Hardtail bridge" but with my compensated saddles for that correct look feel and tone a Tele deserves. 2.09" (53.08599mm) string spacing. Nickel plate Cold Roll Steel Plate with you're choice of saddles.

Warmoth says that I will want to go with the "Fender American Standard Flat Mount" bridge routing, and then that "should work."

[​IMG]

Here's the specs on a "Fender American Standard Flat Mount"

http://www.warmoth.com/Fender-American-Standard-Flat-Mount-P1654C860.aspx

String spacing is 2 1/16" (52.39 mm)

You'll notice that the string spacing isn't exact, but it's very close.
    Can you guys confirm if this will be work?

After that, then I'm placing the order! Thanks for any fast responses!

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  21. FenderNashville

Jun 27, 2006
    Idaho
    Order placed.

Spike from Warmoth helped me out tremendously over the phone. Turns out, that they will have to custom drill for the burrito bridge (American Standard Hardtail bridge rout) for the tele, being that Tele Deluxes are made for strat hardware. They also have to make some alterations to the neck pocket for it to fit a tele neck...

This may seem like a frankenstein guitar (it kinda is), but it just boggles me why Fender doesn't have something like this in the first place. To me, it's a dual P90 Telecaster that is true to its form.

I also ordered the burrito bridge with brass saddles.

The pickguard will be last, being that I want to print a sketch out to assure that it fits.

10 weeks on the way for the body.

This should look magnificent when it's done. I've always wanted a hard-rock tele that can do anything.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.