Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

My vintage "70 Tele took a bad hit at a show

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by noname_dragon, Aug 16, 2017.

1. bluetinstar

bluetinstar TDPRI Member

Aug 1, 2017
    Hampshire, UK
    I wouldn't worry about it ; it's just another 'page in the book' ! :oops:

noname_dragon and robt57 like this.

2. mattdean4130

mattdean4130 Tele-Afflicted

I'd just keep playing it as is lol
    This kind of thing doesn't phase me personally. As long as it doesn't effect how the guitar functions, that is.

noname_dragon likes this.

3. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2010
    selden, ny
    I say leave it right where it is, make sure the drummer can see it at all times....and once in awhile look directly at the drummer and start sobbing. Should be worth a dinner out and some drinks every now and then.

noname_dragon and nojazzhere like this.

4. Greg M

Greg M Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2003
    Virginia
    That's how I would do it.

noname_dragon likes this.

5. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement

6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Did it knock the cymbal out of tune?...probably didn't faze the Tele. Sorry for you but as others have said...that's just a flesh wound....Band-Aid it with superglue and sawdust (or whatever) and go on. Old Teles are meant to be PLAYED!!!!

7. Pickcity

Pickcity Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2017
    Atlanta, Ga.
    This is why I always take my MIM guitars, or Squiers to play shows. As much as I would like to play my prizes all the time, the road just isn't the place for them, much of the time. I realize this doesn't help now. I would keep playing it.

8. IndyPicker

IndyPicker TDPRI Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Indiana
    Find his favorite cymbal and crack it...eye for an eye!!

9. unfamous

unfamous Tele-Meister

Jul 19, 2009
    North Georgia

10. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'd get it repaired for fear that it might get worse (NB I am no expert at all, just wouldn't like to have them chips and splinters on the board). But otherwise, keep playing it, and maybe put it in the case when not used as you do now. Nice Tele BTW!!!

11. Mrbob135

Mrbob135 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 21, 2014
    Franklin, VT
    Another battle scar with deep cymballism....sorry, couldn't resist!

titan uranus likes this.

12. derekwarner

derekwarner TDPRI Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Australia
    Yes accidents do happen.......many years ago to my 71 Tele was dropped on its machine head.....the main result was compression of the neck timber and shattering the grain resulting in the neck surface cracking or shearing & was like broken glass, however any change in humidity had no tonal issue.....just bad for the thumb..............

So after reading many alternate scenarios from a new neck to nothing, I chose the least dangerous and sanded [#800 grit down to #1200 grit] the affected area back to raw wood, then applied a number of coats with Tongue Oil

The result is a surface that is imperceivable in surface blemish when one closes one's eyes

You can also see, the machine head shaft axis for top E is bent......obviously this was also a point of impact ....................but this also does not affect tuning..........

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017

13. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    My vote would be to have it repaired - without attempting to make it invisible. Every scar has a story.

14. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Meister

May 7, 2016
    US
    I can totally sympathize with the OP's reaction. Similar thing happened with my Les Paul, only being a Les Paul the headstock broke clean off. I had it repaired and it plays great. I thought about retiring it, but I just couldn't bear the thought of not playing it from time to time. I'm just very selective now about the environments I take it to.

I'd have the fretboard repaired so that it's playable (not that many people play the 6th string at the 15 fret, but still....) and call it good.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.