Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

My vintage "70 Tele took a bad hit at a show

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by noname_dragon, Aug 16, 2017.

1. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Meister

Jan 13, 2010
    North east coast
    It was sitting on a stand and the drummer's cymbal fell over and hit the upper edge of the neck at about the 15th fret, so there's a V shaped chunk gone out of the rosewood and maple. Owww.
    I guess I'll retire it for now, pushed my luck a little too far. But it sounds so good! Not much compares...
    It doesn't affect playing it, can't feel it, but when I look at it I get a little kick in the gut. She ain't anywhere near pristine to begin with.
    Some friends said I was taking a risk using it at regular gigs... damage and thievery ya know. But I didn't listen.
    I'll post a pic if I can bear to look at it LOL

2. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2014
    NE US
    I bet that cymbal will never be the same. Sorry for the accident, but don't stop playing it.

3. tony hunt

tony hunt Tele-Meister

Aug 22, 2012
    230V / 50Hz / GMT +1
    What's a scar between friends? Good Tele's never retire!

4. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)

5. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Meister

Oct 26, 2010
    Nonurbana
    Punched a linebacker friend in the nose reflexively once for similar damage. He had it coming, he acknowledged, and we are still pals 30 years later.

6. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    Those old necks are around. Not impossible to replace, if needed. Fortunately, he cymbal hit that my '70 took in 1975, was to the finish. Although its a bad scar, I don't even know its there anymore, its been there that long.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.

7. tunerfish

tunerfish TDPRI Member

Apr 23, 2011
    Tennessee
    I self-inflicted a deep gash in my rosewood board Strat leaving stage while getting tripped up in my cord- bang! The B and E string were severed, the third fret ruined, and the fretboard suffered a nasty 3/4 inch long gash. Took it to Glaser's in Nashville. They replaced the fret and did a masterful repair with resin and rosewood bits. The gash was not all the way to the maple. Still, yours may be a candidate for Plastic surgery. Good luck.

nojazzhere and ickylick like this.

8. trouserpress

trouserpress Tele-Meister

May 4, 2015
    Leipzig
    Let someone refill that gap and then have the area touched up!

9. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Battle scars..... :cool:

I've got an E3 neck with a clean chop mark near the headstock.. Cymbal mark, I'd say, ...

..... surprisingly it doesn't get in the way of any chord grips I've used on it....

neck ding1.jpg

neck ding3.jpg

10. Danman

Danman Tele-Meister

May 12, 2012
    Amsterdam,The Netherlands
    Things like that always hurt. But I don't see why you should retire the guitar. Things do happen and that guitar was meant to be played, like you most likely did for a long time before this incident .....

noname_dragon likes this.

11. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Meister

Jan 6, 2017
    NWNJ
    guitars in case off stage when not in use...

12. Tedzo

Tedzo TDPRI Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Georgetown, Ca
    I've posted this before, but here's a pic of my '53 with body repaired after being broken clear through. The neck had a Jeff Beck signature on it, but it's probably a fake.

breakline1.jpg
    breakline2.jpg
    breakline3.jpg

13. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    I would think a luthier with finishing skills could fix that. 70s necks are poly finished and poly blends very well. It doesn't look like any wood is lost, mostly finish.

14. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2005
    N. Cal.
    Remember - Leo was pretty darn smart - switch it out for another neck and save the injured one...

pdcorlis and noname_dragon like this.

15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    The only thing worse than being abused is being left out and unloved.
    Bummer but don't go all museum on it!

16. Greg M

Greg M Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2003
    Virginia
    Somewhere out there, someone is going to painstaking detail trying to emulate something similar on a new guitar.

17. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

Oct 28, 2015
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I can see it now. Big Rube Goldberg machine with sunshine, tobacco smoke, a deep freeze, and then finished off with a cymbal slam.

18. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    Why would you retire it.... play it, just keep it away from the drummer :D. My '72 has a huge number of battle scars... add them up and there is an incredible journey documented. I am convinced that every ding my tele gets makes it better...

19. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    Drum cymbals and stands...the risk of close stages....t ' were it me, I'd retire it if you love it, we all have to retire at some point. Plus the truth, and let's be honest, the only ones that would hear a difference would be the band...the audience will never notice....so it's time to use it at home or in the studio....and get a cool tool to work with.....simply my opinions....

RJ

20. Rooster16

Rooster16 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Aug 28, 2017
    Canada
    Yeah that's a kick in the head for sure but especially at the 15th fret it's going to be out of the way for the most part. I remember watching my main stage guitar's finish spider web before my eyes when it came out of checked baggage and didn't have enough time to let it warm properly before the show - I nearly cried. John Page's words to me were "those are just wrinkles and scars" and were evidence that it was used like it was supposed to be. Something like that is easily repairable though for sure, although I likely wouldn't bother. Stories from the road...

lewis likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.